Acrylic vs 2P

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

Finally took Tweety around for some quotes - seems most places won't touch a re-spray all they want is insurance work, but found one bloke.

So here's the deal.
1994 Tweety went from bare metal to 17 coats of Antelope/ TC clear I remember my dad stressing something about acrylic (which he'd done 2 metallic cars in) but as he's no longer with us I can't ask him what the hell it was.

Only bloke that will touch it wants to go full bare metal - not because it all needs it but because he insists that it MUST be painted in 2P.

My questions : why does it need to change? Will Antelope come out a different shade in 2P?, (cos I like the shade it is now), and if it is changed is there any benefit to me?
Also I asked earlier about blending the colour, which it was advised I get it done in one go - this guy wants me to drop a dr off here & there, a bonnet etc to spread out the cost & the work - reckons it could take a year or two doing it that way - if he uses 2P would this all match? I don't want one faded panel next to a newbie.

:dontknow: I need an edumacation here.

The quote was starting at $4500 - $7000, but he did warn me he recently had one blow out to 20K (at that point I screamed).

#2 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

I am not a painter.

But I do know that painting your panels in a metallic colour one at a time will almost guaruntee slight variations in colour.

Solid colours would not present the same problem.

I will leave the acrylic vs 2pack debate to the experts.

Maybe you should run it up to Gongs garage for a quote.

#3 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

How does it "blow out" ????

If you give me a quote, that's what I'm paying, end of story.

If you fck up and want to charge me more that's your problem.

That's my 2 cents.

If you can find someone else I'd tell this guy to stick it. If he can't give you what you want now, he's not gonna give you a finished product that you're happy with. It'll be all "oh, the colours are different, you're gonna have to pay for me to do that door again". Sounds like a t0sser to me.

That makes about 4 cents now.

I don't know anything about paint so can't comment on that. Posted Image

#4 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

How does it "blow out" ????

If you give me a quote, that's what I'm paying, end of story.

If you fck up and want to charge me more that's your problem.

That's my 2 cents.

I've always been given the "blow out" clause on paint & I get that it might go over a bit if they find a major lot of rust somewhere that hadn't been spotted, but can't see a blow out being bigger than a few hundred at most, or at least that been my experience. Last guy just rang me up & told me I needed a new door, supplied one & paid what I'd been quoted. Reckons he takes photos and rings ya each time it goes over the quote which tells me he doesn't stick to his quotes even roughly...

#5 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

i will only paint in Acrylic as i like that i can put as many coats of clear over colour and you can chop it and buff it till the sun turns blue << Posted Image ... sure 2K sets hard and gives a smoother finish and it is pretty much off the gun finish with a quick buff, sure Acrylic is a lot more elbow grease chopping the peal out and buffing but my 2 cents worth says if your after a nice glassy shinny finish and the fella will only paint in 2K tell him to stick and stripping it right back to bare is bull shit, if it not suffering with major rust or repairs there is no need what so ever, but if you going for a full resto well yeah fair enough you wanna know whats hidding under all the product Posted Image

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

[RANT]Obviously you dont know anything about paint potta.

You get a car that looks nice and strait for a full bare metal, start sanding it back, ooohhh look at this tonnes of bog in the rear quarter. Sand a bit lower yay the bottoms of the rear quarters are rusted out, filled with bog and newspaper. So are the sills, bottom of front guards, radiator support, etc.

Its not hard make problems like that look like there not there very easily.

Problem is when old mate goes to strip it all back he finds out that behind those nice strait panels is a tonne of bog and rust, hence why the price can blow out VERY QUICKLY!!.

If i was doing the job for you potta, found the situation to be like that and you told me "If you give me a quote, that's what I'm paying, end of story" then i assure you the nicely stripped car would be going square up your ass and then to court for the time spent striping.

Old mate did the right thing by giving a first price based on the work he can SEE is there and then a warning of what might happen.
[/RANT]

Now tweety, we will assume you wont have this problem seeing though you have owned the car for so long and know its history so well, and i apologise for that rant.

There is no reason he would have to go right back to bare metal to paint it in 2k, if the job has been sitting for 15 years now then the acrylic is definitely shrunk as much as its going to by now and you can buy primers to spray 2k over acrylic.

But he is most likely erring on the cautios side, acrylic continues to shrink for a number of years and if you repaint it in 2k it will go to shit really quick if its not totally dry.

Also you have most likely used a silicone polish on it at some stage, or at least he should be assuming you have, which will also make life hard for him.

Anyway question 1, As to why he insists on 2k, well most painters now days dont know how to spray acrylic. In my apprenticeship there is absolutely no mention at all of the word acrylic.

Thankfully i've sprayed 10 or so cars in the stuff so i got a rough idea how to do it.

Question 2, Actual shade depends on the batch mixed, also depends on whether or not the colour on your car now is 100% correct, in general 2k-acrylic wont have a difference in shade, only if the formula is a bit different.

What will be different is LUSTRE. 2k has a very hard looking plasticy shine, whereas acrylic has that beautiful warm miles deep shine about it. 2k can be buffed to look more like acrylic, same as you can use different additives in the clear to make it look a bit more like acrylic, i havnt played with these personally.

Question 3, yes there is a benefit to you, the paint finish will last a lot longer, is more durable, and wont need nearly as much attention, a yearly polish and wax along with regular washing will keep it looking 100% compared to the monthly polish needed to keep acrylic up to scratch.

Question 4, here i disagree with him a lot, i highly doubt the panels will match when he is all done. You really need to get everything done at once regardless of whether it is acrylic, 2k, metallic, solid, three layer pearl, candie, doesnt matter, do it all at once. Sorry wot179.

Even solid colours will be very different, look at poor Barmans epic.

Very few people will be able to spray it in pieces and get it all the same.

Quote seems a little bit to cheap to me.

So basically if you want the harder wearing and less effort and can handle the different lustre then sure, go 2k, but thats not what you wanted in the first place and dont settle for it just because.

If your willing to keep up the constant maintenance regime required for acrylic and prefer the warmer look of the paint, keep searching.

Hope this helps love.

Cheers.

#7 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

^^^ well said Bomber Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Do it your self , after all it's going to have a woman driver , LOL LOL LOL

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

14 different shades are possible out of the one can of metallic.

The painter recommends going back to bare metal because acrylic and 2pac are not compatible.

If the painter knows what they are doing then painting the car separate will not be a problem.

Who is assembling the car?
Some shops will not guarantee colour finish etc if you are assembling it yourself.

There is no need to change to 2K (2pac), find a shop to quote who will repair and respray what you have.
There will probably not be much difference in quotes.
$4000 and up is where they start but the estimator must have serious problems if that is jumping to $20 000.

#10 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

my hatch was painted in acrylic with no clear. and yes its like anything on a car. you cant give a firm quote.

#11 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Isnt Barmans car metallic?

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

^^^ well said Bomber Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Lol i say something smart once in a while i suppose :P

14 different shades are possible out of the one can of metallic.

Definetly

The painter recommends going back to bare metal because acrylic and 2pac are not compatible.

Why do you say that?

$4000 and up is where they start

When 1990?

my hatch was painted in acrylic with no clear. and yes its like anything on a car. you cant give a firm quote.

What colour is your hatch? If its a strait colour you can get away with no clear, Antelope is a metallic so requires clear. If no clear is put over a metallic acrylic the flake will oxidize, require constant compounding, and look gay.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 15 September 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#13 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

Bomber, I have put many coats of 2k over acrylic successfully but as you have stated, acrylic is soft and 2k is hard, one sinks and shrinks and one don't, do you really need me to go into it, I think for the layman it is acceptable just to state that the two are not compatible.

It has been a while but I thin k there is something wrong if you can't get a quote for a basic respray (no repairs) for around $4000.
(I really must buy that panel shop).

Edited by TerrA LX, 15 September 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#14 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Bomber that was an elequent response!

No I don't mind monthly polish/waxing - it's what I've alway done, hate to change the habits of a life time. Have only ever used Maguiars products. I do know what's under there - nothing scary. I like a glassy finish.

That also explains what my dad would've been on about - lustre! He was big on the finish after a polish (he showed 3 daily drivers, and one 'collector's' car).

Oh, and starting price here in 1994 was $2500 bare mental & repairs!

threeblindmice - thanks I've done two myself, one was driven by a bloke :P

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be heading slightly out of town where I know I can get acrylic.

#15 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

[RANT]Obviously you dont know anything about paint potta.

Correct!! Give the man a prize. :spoton: Pointing out what I already said.

You get a car that looks nice and strait for a full bare metal, start sanding it back, ooohhh look at this tonnes of bog in the rear quarter. Sand a bit lower yay the bottoms of the rear quarters are rusted out, filled with bog and newspaper. So are the sills, bottom of front guards, radiator support, etc.

Fair enough. Sounds like a big blowout to be going up to 4-5 times the price though.

What point is a quote if you end up with a totally different cost??

Anyway, good luck with it TT, whichever way you decide to go.

Bomber, thanks for filling me in. :clap:

#16 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Jokes aside , our ten year old acrylic still looks great .

#17 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

my car was painted all seperate not even a slight differance in shade ,
2k sprayed properally will not give you a plastic look if your painter knows what he is doing ,
been painting show cars for over 10 years now and not one has had slight colour colour differance or look like plastic as i paint every panel of the car assemble then chop it and flow coat after flow coat until you get the finish you want

#18 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

No I don't mind monthly polish/waxing - it's what I've alway done, hate to change the habits of a life time. Have only ever used Maguiars products.

Lies!
Your daughter polishes that car not you!
Posted Image

DJ, its about time you started sharing your knowledge of paint and the best methods to sniff it. :)

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

Ah my knowlege is limited, been doing it for over six years and have sprayed thousands of litres, but mostly industial, only painted 15 cars and done panel repairs on another 20 or so. Current tradesman im working with is bloody useless so everything i learn is just trial and error (i have a heap of panels i f*ck around with in my own time doing tricky stuff) :spoton:

Some blokes on here know much more, brocks72xu1 being one such member, now there (yes up ^^ there) is someone i would like to go spend a month or two working with.

Cheers.

#20 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Ah my knowlege is limited, been doing it for over six years and have sprayed thousands of litres, but mostly industial, only painted 15 cars and done panel repairs on another 20 or so. Current tradesman im working with is bloody useless so everything i learn is just trial and error (i have a heap of panels i f*ck around with in my own time doing tricky stuff) :spoton:

Some blokes on here know much more, brocks72xu1 being one such member, now there (yes up ^^ there) is someone i would like to go spend a month or two working with.

Cheers.

hey bomber your welcome anytime just dont ask to many question(hahaha)im currently teaching my five year old boy how to paint atm,can paint arcylic ,just cant get the hang of 2k yet,i tend to keep to myself and my tricks to but if someone asks im always happy to help,currently repairing a harley i painted custom job about a year ago orange candy with fames 10 grands worth of paint on this thing post pics when finished

#21 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

No I don't mind monthly polish/waxing - it's what I've alway done, hate to change the habits of a life time. Have only ever used Maguiars products.

Lies!
Your daughter polishes that car not you!
Posted Image

Bahahah I've been detailing that car since before she was thought of, just got her trained in the past few months and now her car arrives on the weekend so there goes that idea - she'll be too busy doing her car LOL

#22 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

If I'm doing a paintjob myself, its Acrylic... If I am paying someone else to do it, it will be 2k...

Bombers response is pretty much spot on. Totally agree with what he has said.

Sure the whole car could be painted separately and different times... But I just wouldnt trust it for my car... Unless the colour was all coming from the same paint tin, and the painter is good, and knows how much paint he always puts on every panel... I couldnt trust myself to do a car like that...

#23 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Are you sure he was on about painting each panel seperately?

Alot of guys will repair each panel seperate, get it into hi-fill, then send it back to the owner and then move on to the next bit. Thats how we did the purple LJ, one panel at a time.

then you throw it together, rub it back and blow the paint over all in one go.

Edited by orangeLJ, 16 September 2009 - 09:04 AM.

#24 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

I still wonder why ppl even bother with acrylic these days.
It must have something to do with a fingerprint removing fetish. :dontknow:

I'm certainly not a painter, or a panel beater, but even a dumb ass boiley like me can get good results with 2K.

I dont believe in the 'acrylic is shinier' comments. If the results were that far apart, wouldn't ALL the prestige manufacturers be using acrylic?
If i had $350K + to blow on a new Porsche or Fezza, i rekon i would be expecting pretty shiny paint!

Why do you want to do a full bare metal repaint Jo?
If the paint is good, then surely a 2K blow over is all that is needed. That's about all it should cost too! 2K!

Panel beater/painters are not high on my x-mas card list!
I swear most of them think they are brain surgeons & want paid accordingly!
Good & bad in every bunch! I seem to attract the bad ones. Dont get me started......

While we are talking painters, can anyone tell me why it takes a rediculious amount of time to paint a car? Some shops are keeping them for 12mths & longer.

#25 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Are you sure he was on about painting each panel seperately?

Yep, that fact that he told me to drop a door off, get it painted then put it on & do this panel by panel over two years made me ask if he was suggesting a "pay as you go" paint job, he said yes, does it for a lot of people - means he doesn't have the shed full & can work on more projects & it makes it easier for the customer to pay were his reasons.

I

Why do you want to do a full bare metal repaint Jo?
If the paint is good, then surely a 2K blow over is all that is needed. That's about all it should cost too! 2K!

Panel beater/painters are not high on my x-mas card list!
I swear most of them think they are brain surgeons & want paid accordingly!
Good & bad in every bunch! I seem to attract the bad ones. Dont get me started......

Yeh, reckon I might have a fingerprint removal fetish - poor Tori as a toddler 'don't tough the car, hands off the windows...'

I don't want a bare metal spray all over, just the rear quaters as they've cracked (stars) all over from the idiot I sold it too fishing the rear into solid gutters etc & the paint has cracked on the roof. The doors are all new, front guards were done in Jan '07 as was bonnet.

In the past I've had two spray overs done, $1500 each time. Think I'll rub the quaters & roof back myself & prime while I find a suitable sprayer - don't want the water getting in them and rusting.

Totally with you on the Christmas list - first bare metal job the prick pushed my car out of the shed for 48hrs while bare; a state it stayed in for about a month, while I lent his business money to get the compressor fixed.

Edited by tweetytorana, 16 September 2009 - 10:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users