12 replies to this topic

#1 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

I brought a brand new set of Monroe shocks for LH/X, car has been lowered, now shock is still 1 1/2" too long to bolt up, once fully compressed, cant use them

What companies make shocks for lowered front end?

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

nobodies running shocks in there car?

#3 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

are you sure that they gave you the right shocks?
my car is low and still uses the standard length shocks, noi matter how low your car is, it should hit the bumpstops before you run out of shocker travel.

#4 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

I am using bilstiens in mine.
they seem to do the job when i'm pushin it around the back yard
as i have no engine or gearbox.
Damo

#5 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

info on rubys springs:
Spring info

As she stands with 173. Front King Springs KHFL-44 which is the lowered option for 6cyl. Rear King Springs KHRS-12 which is the standard option for 6cyl (rears still need further confirmation tho)KHRL-12 which is the lowered option for 6cyl.

I have discovered the original front springs from ruby can b used for the V8 conversion.
I highly reccommend u check out the King Springs site to comfirm the prior info.

^^^^ copied from my cardomain page.

as for shocks I will have a look asap and c whats in her.

#6 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

now shock is still 1 1/2" too long to bolt up, once fully compressed, cant use them

What companies make shocks for lowered front end?

mine is sitting lower than low in the front at the moment, and no dramas at all with the munroe shocks in there. not even pedders do a lowered for the front, as it s just not necessary.
as suggested previously, check they gave you the correct shocks???

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

p/n is 12-3095 suit LH/X torana
The shocks are just too long.

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

It does sound quite bizzare. You should be able to massively lower the car and still be able to fit the standard shocks. A few of us were discussing this a while ago - we found that Pedders sold "short-throw" shocks. The reason we were interested in them though, wasn't for the fact that standard shocks wouldn't fit (cos they did), but because when the car was jacked up, the springs were no longer kept captive (therefore hitting big bumps in the road etc could cause the same thing to happen). I realise you are asking about front shocks though, and I can't remember if these shorter shocks were only for the rear or not...

The old discussion will still be around somewhere... but the more I think about it, I think we were only talking about rear end, not front end.

Edited by LXCHEV, 06 April 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#9 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Agree with the above - they must have given you the wrong shocks.
You should be able to take the springs out and sit the car on it's bump stops with out the shocks running out of travel.

The bumpstops limit the travel, not the shocks!!!!

I have just minitubbed my VL wagon to fit 275/40-17's on 9.5" rims under the rear without flaring the guards. With the standard shocks the diff dropped down too far and the panhard rod dragged it sideways and jammed the tyre into the drivers side spring perch. A mate at Repco went through the parts book and came up with a set of Munroes with the same compressed length as the std VL and the max extended length I could get away with. They are actually EH rear shocks. They keep the tyre off the spring perch and will also keep the shorter springs captive. I can sit the car on its standard bumpstops and still have travel left in the shocks.

Same story with the front(working on that now), shocks will have the same min compressed length as standard but will have shorter extended length to keep the springs captive.

Ask your supplier to check part no's etc and perhaps ask another company for the Munroe part no as a double check...

#10 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

The pn was from Monroe and its stamped on the shock itself.
Maybe they had a stuff up batch or something, I dunno but it shits me now I need to get another set.

#11 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

Checked with my man at Repco today and that is the correct part no for the Munroe Touring shock. They no longer make that type, has been replaced with 15-3095.

He did say the minimum compressed length, measured from the centre of the bottom eye to the base of the top mount pin, should be 216mm. Max extended length should be 336mm.
Interested to see what yours measure???

#12 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

heres how mine sits and im using standard front shocks no problems at all

Posted Image

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:51 PM

are you sure that they gave you the right shocks?
my car is low and still uses the standard length shocks, noi matter how low your car is, it should hit the bumpstops before you run out of shocker travel.

In theory, that is correct. In the real world, that's another story. I have come across this issue before. Pedders used to sell short shockers, GSR 9000 series from memory. It does sound as if you may have faulty shockers, possibly one of the flow control valves are stuffed. It does happen, and sometimes in batches. How low are these front springs? If possible, I would be driving the car to where you purchased the shockers to demonstrate the problem to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users