hey
anyone got tips on how to take off the chrome strips around the doors
cheers
nathan

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

There's small small screw in one end of the strips and they're retained by plastic clips on studs.

To remove the strips you need to get in behind them and gently lever them up without bending them, I use a "chicken stick" which is a Nylon bar with a tapered edge that i can get in behind the moulding and gently tap the stick along with a hammer to "pop" the trim off.

You could possibly use a piece shaped wood or a plastic putty knife as well to get in behind so you dont damage the metal trim.

I'll try and get a photo of the tool i use so you get an idea of what im talking about.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

Which trims are you talking about? Along the drip sill or around the windows. Can you post some pics, cause I have NFI where the chrome strips are on a UC, would be interested to know.

#4 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

UC are same as LX that run around the window frames and the door tops, LH toranas have the ones (as you know) that sit "inside" the window frames with the bailey channel

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Which toranas (sedan) have the little curved pieces with a screw hole that always seem to be missing when you buy the side window chrome for the hatches? I just acquired the chrome set for my hatch but now I have to find some of those darn things!

#6 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

thanx for the tips :D , i think i know wat tool your talking about

cheers,
nathan

#7 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

Heres a crap pic of the tool i use to remove the chrome mouldings on the door frames,

not sure if the pics will work, if i dont get it right can someone point out what im doing wrong? thanksPosted Image

#8 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

i normally use this with a small hammer to gently work my way around the clips and "pop" them off.

If you can't find one of these around to buy you could always make your own by buying a cheap nylon food cutting board and use a hacksaw/cut-off wheel to cut a piece off so you can shape it into something similar.

I cut a cutting board into different sizes etc and use them when i need to repair headlight surrounds, knock out dents in moulds etc. pretty useful and cheap too

#9 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

Any tips how to put them back on without scratching the paint, or denting the moulds?

#10 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

I find the best way to refit the moulds is to sit the top edge of the moulding on the clip and then "slap" the mould with downwards pressure so it pops back on.

You'll find the palm of your hand will get really sore after a while but its really the only way to do it without damaging the mould. You could also run a strip of masking tape around where your fitting (not where the mould actually sits as you wont be able to remove it) to protect the paint if you slip with the moulding.

It will seem awkward at first but once you master the technique of slapping with your hand it becomes easy to fit chrome moulds (use the same process to refit drip rail moulds)

#11 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

thanx :)

might start this weekend, might have to chop up someones choppin board :lol:

-nathan

#12 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

double post ^^

Edited by ToranaZ, 28 November 2005 - 01:53 PM.

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for confirming that Pete, i.e. same location as the LX's.

Putting them back on, just firm pressure with your thumbs works for me. Clip window side on then push down and draw thumbs towards yourself till you get....SNAP. Whatevery you do, don't use hammer or you'll get creases.

The clips hold the trims above the paint, so I think paint protection is a bit over the top.

#14 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

hey thanx for the advice pete and yella slur,:)

i pulled them all off, was quite easy, i made a tool like the pic ^, made it from a piece of wood, though half of the clips were old and snapped :(

can i buy brand new plastic clips from somwhere, couldnt see them on rare speares, maybe i didnt look hard enough

cheers,
nathan

Edited by ToranaZ, 28 November 2005 - 06:43 PM.

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

Yup, can buy them from Rares.

You'd get a bit brittle sitting out in the sun for 30 years too, they tend to get a bit brittle over time. Nothing unusual there.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 28 November 2005 - 06:46 PM.

#16 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

Go and see bill or karen at The Rubber Shop on Southpine Rd Enoggera and take one of the clips with you, they'll have what you need or will be able to get them within a day or so. Nice people too!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users