Resomat Vs Dynamat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hey guys, looking at my options for carpet underlay/sound deadening... the 2 that seem to be the most popular are Resomat and Dynamat. I know ALOT of audiophiles use dynamat and it seems to have a very good reputation but I recently spotted Resomat advertised in street machine and is apparently used by BMW, AUDI etc

Just wondering if anyone has used either and what their opinions are? and any reason to get one over the other?

Resomat website:
http://www.tru-fitcarpets.com.au/ (about half way down is a link for resomat "details here"

Dynamat website:
http://www.dynamat.com/

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

Straight link to Resomat

http://www.tru-fitca....au/resomat.htm

I want to fit something like this to my hatch too, so any advice would be great!

Also, whats it like for sealing? If water is trapped under there, will it rust faster? Or if its completely dry when fitted, it will seal off from the elements and help save it from rusting?

#3 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

any one no what its made of my m8 put some shit simalar dunno what its called on the boot of hit commodore and it was like its just a lead sheet the boot wouldnt open unless you lift it
if its just lead then i personally wouldnt bother be like driving around with a full car load 24 7

#4 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Funny timing. I caught up with a mate in our car club on Tues night. He has just done his Trans Am with Dynamat. He did everything - doors, floors, underneath bonnet, quarters etc etc.... loves it and reckons it's great. I don't know his reasons, but personally he reckons the Dynamat stuff is heaps better than the Resomat stuff. I'm sure they'd be fairly similar though.

#5 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

i'll let you know about the rust as my stato project has it (dynamat) and it got caught in the weather with its doors and windscreen off (previous owner not me) and i think you get the idea lol

#6 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:12 AM

hello, im pretty sure its not LEAD & sorry but also hello, if its for your interior you dont want water getting in, and if its for audio you dont want water getting in.

ps havent used it but am getting some (dynomat) for bootlid

Edited by stu.slr, 25 September 2009 - 12:17 AM.

#7 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

Its not lead its a self adhesive tar with a thin aluminium backing.

Yes I belive if you clean all the surfaces and apply it it would act as a moisture barrier and be beneficial that way.

As for sound deadning I think the Dynomat is great. I did all the floor, some of the firewall and the rear quarters.

I don't have any road noise only engine noise and wind noise through the vents, I recon it was worth the $250.

Cheers youngy

I think the box I used to do all that weighed 12kgs, bugger all really

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

Besides the sound-deadening benefit, does the Dynamat also act as a heat shield at all???

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

I think that if the surface was prepared properly, no surface rust etc, then epoxy primed, all seams sealed and top coated with a 2k top coat, then the dynamat was applied over that, there would be no chance of rust.

Basically if everything is done right then the only way moisture will get to the metal is if there is a chip. If the surface has a nice thick layer of tar over it then i doubt the surface will get chipped.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 25 September 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#10 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

when fitting a new stereo to my car i fitted dynomat in the doors. seems pretty good. and hows this for a bonus when i was running amp wiring i lifted up the carpet and the whole floor was done in dynamat by the previous owner. i was stoked!

#11 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

LXCHEV: yea it does act as a heat shield as well mate, Alot of very detailed info on the website. (see first post)

#12 _SL loon_

_SL loon_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

G'day,
I recently did my LC using Dynamat(36 square feet) & Fatmat(33 square feet) I did the roof,firewall,kick panels,transmission tunnel & parcel shelf with Dynamat & Used fatmat on the floor pan & behind the back seat, I also used bitumen\underlfelt on the floor & firewall, Fatmat was about 2\3 the cost of Dynamat, But Dynamat was far superior in all aspects except price. Dynamat is definitely NOT cheap (Around $6.80 \sq ft on ebay) Fatmat was around $5\sq ft. To do the full interior & boot would take 80+sq ft making it an expensive undertaking either way. In theory,if properly installed Dynamat forms a complete airtight bond\seal to the metal preventing any rust\oxidisation from being able to occur, Rust\oxidisation can only occur if both moisture & air are trapped in between dynamat & the metal surface. Though I am yet to try Resomat,Nothing I've used is as good as Dynamat.
SL loon

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:40 AM

And how do you determine how good it is? is your car near on silent now with all the windows up etc? or did u observe a noticeable increase in audio quality? Any idea how much it all weighed for the whole car?

#14 _SL loon_

_SL loon_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

G'Day,
I can't really say by how much it is improved because I also renewed all rubbers,channels,roof lining,carpets & put in new speakers etc. It is noticeably quieter inside.there is much less external noise & nothing rattles or vibrates when the stereo is cranked(even at extreme levels) Which is what I was mainly after & while on the whole Audio quality is greatly improved, I wasn't trying to improve audio quality specificly.My preference for Dynamat is mostly based on adhesive bonding strentgh,product durability & toughness & sound isulation etc.
All up I've added around 15-20 kg in weight &I am happy with the results even though it ended up costing more than I had originally intended on spending.
SL loon

#15 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

MRLXSS i apologise to you as obviously water will get in on the door panels. shooting my mouth off

Edited by stu.slr, 30 September 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#16 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:45 AM

maybe it was lead like roof flashing and it was just stuck on the bootlid. sounds like a my mate kind of thing

#17 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

MRLXSS i apologise to you as obviously water will get in on the door panels. shooting my mouth off

No Problems mate! I was mainly talking about the floors anyway...

20ish kg isnt too bad to be honest. It would be easy to offset that weight elsewhere anyway. This is something I'll definitely do on my next build!

Another question... How hard is the stuff to take off? What happens when the time comes when you want to rebuild your car and rip it all out? Just heat gun and peel it off?

#18 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Yeah i reckon if you heated it up heaps it would come off, but once worked into place with all air removed it has great adhesion.

#19 _L76LXHATCH_

_L76LXHATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone on here tried Dynamat superlite? Is it any good? as good as dynamat Xtreme?
I assume that you guys were talking about Dynamat Xtreme?
I would be interested to know the differance between the 2 apart from the obvious weight and thickness?
Cheers
Stuart

#20 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

I know this is an old thread but, bought some Resomat to try and its useless! Too thick to mold and snot has more adhesion and weighs a ton. Dynomat is by far the best!

#21 _ucmefly_

_ucmefly_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

Thing with Dynamat is you don't have to cover the whole panel for it to work effectively. It's designed to be place in the center of the panel you wish to deaden, and it only requires 25% of the surface area for it be be the most effective. For under-carpet and firewall deadening, I recommend Mass-loaded foam vinyls. Dynamat doesn't actually block the noise from outside, it moves the resonate frequency of the panel due to adding mass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users