Turbo problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

About a week ago i noticed my car blowing smoke when idling, within a couple days the smoke was getting real bad (my whole street was smokin!) so my first guess was to check the turbo, and its got some pretty bad shaft play.

Im guessing this is whats causing my car to blow smoke??

A couple of months ago i checked the turbo and i felt little-to-no shaft play, but now heaps. What could be some reasons to cause this? it shouldnt have wore out this quick should it?

also, not long before the car started to blow smoke, the hose going to the wastegate became blocked and this caused the car to boost a lot higher than normal. The wastegate opens at 6psi, but with the blocked hose it was reaching 12-15 psi (once i noticed it reached this high i slowed down)
Could this be the reason for my turbo to get so much shaft play, and the car to blow smoke. I would think the turbo could handle this much (its an AiResearch T04).

Any ideas why my car is blowing smoke? or why there is shaft play?

engine is a 202, carbs are twin SU's suck through.

#2 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

Also, the turbo is already out of the car, and im going to get it rebuilt. Does anyone know how much a rebuild costs if i get someone to do it?
Or, how much would the parts cost and i do the rebuild myself?

I live in the Wollongong area.
Thanks

#3 _SSL31_

_SSL31_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

A while back air research had a bad rebuild batch up here in the Queens land / Brisbane I know because we went through a shit load of them and excessive idle was killing them , smoking up pretty heavy ...
When you say shaft play , which do you mean in and out or up and down ???
Rebuilds arnt cheap and there is abit of mucking around to get them right...for how good and how long you want it to last ...
I ve pulled down acouple for rebuilds but for what its worth if it shenobles and if you dont do rebuilds constantly ,its better to give it to the right people with right tools ...
We had a few with the waste gates seized but that did nt cause to much dramas...
sounds like seals but check breather and blowby too...

cheers

#4 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

Up and down in and out, it can only be shaft wear and bearing movement, excessive shaft movement will damage your sealspassing oil, hence the smoke.

Like SS said, send it out to get rebuilt, do u want to take the chance of detonating your turbo and sending a bearing through your engine.

Little to no bearing play could get worse and worse pending on the PSi you put through and the work it does.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#5 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:56 AM

Take it to Fred at Turbologic, near the Shoalhaven RSL. He is the man !!!

#6 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

I bought a rebuild kit from turbologic for $150.
My dads a fitter and im an apprentice fitter, so should get it together alright. We've both done heaps of bearing changes at work.

When stripping it down we found it was in pretty bad condition. one bearing was seized on the shaft and the thrust bearing was blocked.

anyway... ill see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

#7 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

yeah fred is the man. but he aint near the shoalhaven rsl lol. try port kembla!

ssl31,i suggest if you want anyone to read what you post you change from that blue text!

#8 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

yeah fred is the man. but he aint near the shoalhaven rsl lol. try port kembla!

Oops !! You can tell I needed a map to get there !!

Sorry if I mislead anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users