#76 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

I probably watch half my whole years TV that weekend (except for other V8 rounds). The couch is mine! :spoton:

#77 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

Bathurst 96, my first year in attendance at the mountain, myself and a couple of mates found ourselves a space on the approach to the chase, right in the middle of a bunch of ford fans. By the start of the race we were all well and truly merry, and each time a holden went past, up went a cheer... this didnt impress all the ford blokes in close proximity... and as Alan Jones started the race in the lead, they were giving us hell!

Well that all changed when the Pack Leader falcon stopped coming past, then some time later it appeared on the back of a car carrier.. all burnt out... everyone around us went quiet.... except for us :spoton:

great times, great times :rockon:

#78 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

My first race visit was in 1969...last one was 1989...last look was 2002 .....it NEVER loses its mystique..I think it is a sacred site or something..
R

#79 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

whats F5000/open wheelers?

toddles, F5000 is pretty much the current day F1 concept (ie open wheeler - no wheels under the bodywork, single occupant big tyred aerodynamic race car), but taken back quite a few years and using very powerful (and noisy - gotta love a stinkin' hot V8 at full revs!) V8s as powerplants.

Big on power, but not so good on aerodynamics and braking, so lots of very exciting racing and brave manouevres.

I saw a few at Pukekohe a few years back as a support race to the V8s, and the buggers were still accelerating at the end of the back straight - :blink: much more fun to watch and listen to than current or recent F1 stuff.

Oh, and Welby was just taking a good natured poke in the ribs from an old fart (no offence Welby, I've applied for admission to the club too) to a young bloke that asks an innocent question about a class of racing that was VERY popular in its day.

#80 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi
Wonder if anyones going to be cutting sic in pit on top of the hill this year. The cops are out in large numbers to cut the crazy factor out.
Chears Neil

#81 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

cutting sic in pit

What's that ?

I will be on top of the hill (for the last time) this year ... hope the weather is fine and I go out with a bang !!

'Bout bloody time the cops stop some of the absolute wanky stuff that goes on. BUT no-way I would like to be them, stopping those knobs misbehaving and the out numbered idiots abusing you.

If only those dickheads realised how much it costs to replace/repair the damage they cause year after year on toilets, amenities, etc, and how much could be spent on improving things for the following year if the local council didnt have to start with repairs from each years mess the day after the event finishes ... that really pisses me off !!

#82 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Well its not my favourite memory but a memory none the least and I have a beer (or 23) every year at bathurst time to remember.

In 1992 (Most of you young fellas wouldn't remember then I suppose.) one of New Zealands most famous drivers died during bathurst after having a heart attack.

He was Denny Hulme.

#83 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

Remeber it well kudu.

#84 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

Conrod straight, Benson and Hedges BMW from memory.

#85 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

I remember it quite well actually.

Steve

#86 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I remember it quite well actually.

Steve

Sorry, I was only meaning that since it was in 1992 that anyone younger than say 20 wouldn't really remember it. I didn't mean it to sound thoughtless.

#87 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

haha dont worry kudu, I dont think anybody took it the wrong way...

Actually Denny Hulme was a widely experienced driver who drove in many different classes throughout his long career. Here are some links I found for anyone who is interested...

F1 News - Denny Hulme

McLaren F1

#88 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

From memory he was a No2 driver with the B&H team and didn't have a regular drive, just the enduroes. 56 when he died and in the "twilight" of his career I would imagine.

#89 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

No worries Kudo, but yes i am over 20. :tease:

I remember Denny Hume racing with Tony Longhurst. Dad liked watching the little BMW taking on the V8s, catching them going through the corners... probably a little like the XU-1 taking on the Falcon GTHOs.

Steve

#90 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

My favourite moment was when Brock came back to holden a Perkins Prepared VN Group A and slid the car on the top mountain in McPhillamy Park heading to Skyline in the top 10 shoot out. I think 91 maybe 92.

#91 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

My favourite moment was when Brock came back to holden a Perkins Prepared VN Group A and slid the car on the top mountain in McPhillamy Park heading to Skyline in the top 10 shoot out. I think 91 maybe 92.

Here is a poor quality vid here also includes larry's lap

#92 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:24 PM

Don't want to alarm anybody, just relax it will all fall into place.....
Only 40 day's to go which means 35 until Pallbag cracks his first GOLD on top of the Mountain....

35 days until the pilgrimage begins WOOOOHOOOO.. :D

Regards
Who's Counting

#93 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Another favourite memory of mine is 1997 - Brocks last race. Well his last race at the time anyway.
Skaife put the car on the front row, Brock started the race and led all the way to the first pitstop, not sure if Larry and the others were afraid to pass or what !!!!
Anyway I thought it was a good effort.

#94 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

Here is a poor quality vid here also includes larry's lap

Pedal to the metal!
lucky it ain't got a left hand mirror as some of those left handers were pretty close to the wall.

Race cam rules.

Whats anyones best vantage point at Bathurst?

Edited by ALX76, 28 August 2007 - 09:49 PM.

#95 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

Only 40 day's to go which means 35 until Pallbag cracks his first GOLD on top of the Mountain....

EwYerrrr, have started scouring the specials' brochures for some cheap cans of Bourbon aswell. Havent found any under $67 a carton as yet, might have to go with a cheapy brand, yucko!!
Last time I bought some JimBeam cans I got them for $45 each, thought it was a typo or something but when the guy said nope thats the right price I bought 5 cartons ... 2 came with me to Bathurst that year, it was pefect timing.

#96 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:58 PM

Im working at bathurst again this year 12 hour night shifts so i can watch the races during the day :)

#97 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

What do you do there toddles ?

#98 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Security it works out well do night shifts get payed and watch the races during the day

#99 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

Where abouts do U do the security ?

#100 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

Last year i was at the maingate with 2 other people near where they had the brock car u could sign and the big castol tent I tried to get where they had brocks cars on display but as u would imagine everyone wanted that spot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users