The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hey Guys,

I have been talking crap with a few people lately, and the question was raised. "Why isn't there a Torana Drag Nationals?"

It got me thinking, the Torana has to be Australia's most popular type of Drag car. There seems to be drag nationals for every other section of cars.

Just off the top of my head.

• LS1 Drag Nationals
  • Holden Drag Nationals
  • Street Ford Drag Nationals
  • Street Commodore Drag Nationals
I know many Drag racers with Torana's, would love to win the "Torana Drag Nationals - Champion" title.

Has there been a Torana Drag National's in the past?

What to people think about it? Would you go?

Anyway, just thought I'd start a discussion on it...

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

sounds like a great idea, but was it the word drag that got you interested ... lol

#3 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Whether it was state based or nationally based, it has the potential to be absolutely HUGE. It would attract a huge variety of Torana's, including some of the fastest drag cars in the land. It would be a major spectacle, with massive entrant numbers, and massive spectator numbers too - not just Torana fans, but drag racing fans too. Like you said, Torana's are by far the most popular drag cars in Australia.

Surely, somewhere, sometime, there has been some kind of Torana specific Drag Racing Championship held??? I'd love to hear about it. If not, then it's time for someone to start the ball rolling! Congratulations Matt, you've just been put in charge! I volunteer your services for the good of Australia, and for the good of Torana's!

#4 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Plenty of potential with that concept Matt. As you know, the Drag Days organised through here attract a lot of people and entrants as well as sponsors and media. To attract the big guns there would have to be good prize money on offer to make the trip worthwhile, regardless of where they are held. Someone would have to come up with the funds to hire the track, advertise the event and make it all happen. An event committee would also be required as this is the sort of job that is too big for one or two people to organise, especially on a national level.

But you have got the cogs ticking mate......

Now, speaking of drag days, I'd better pull my finger out and get the QLD Torana Drag Day organised for next year..... here we go again !!

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thats something i had never really thought of T.

Prize money and the like. Thats what really gets the big guns to come along. It would be interesting to looking into what the other Nationals put up in regards to prizes.

You are right about the committee as well. Its such a big job, its something that a group of people would need to organise.

Found this on the LS1 Nationals site - http://www.ls1turbo....ats/prizes.html

For the first few meets, I think national recognition would have to be the prize.

What's to say that our current Torana drag days, can't evolve into the Drag Nationals. At the end of the day... People want Bragging rights, If we start publicising the winners, others will want to come along just to get involved and be crowned champion! HAHA! (I know how all your competitive brains work!)

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Just start small and work upwards. Sponsorship is KEY. Get some sponsors on board, and start with small trophies, small amounts of prize-money... as the event gets a name for itself, and grows in size, the sponsors will progressively throw in more coin... there is cash out there to play with, you just need to convince them! Companies like Shannons, Rare Spares, Holden, Meguiars, etc etc, all have dedicated sponsorship funds allocated each year. With drag racing, you can then expand and attract other sponsors - engine builders, suppliers etc (think VPW, Superplus, etc etc)..... they would all love to get their logos onto the flyers and merchandise.

#7 _suxgas_

_suxgas_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

That sounds like it would be an awsome event would love to be at that one....And another thing were would you have it at?? which track??

#8 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Sounds like a cracker of an idea. Posted Image Best I've heard for ages.

You may even attract some old school cars as the Torana has been such a strong performer on the strip for many many years. LOVE to see DUEL back out there.

You could even have a 'stock' section and get some of the XU-1's, SS' and SLR-5000's amongst it. Who wouldn't love to see and hear all these factory specs restored cars given a fang at the strip.

My suggestion? Take the idea to Todd Martin or another promoter. If its a good one (which it truly is) then I'm sure he would look at it seriously. Sure it may increase the cost to us punters, but it would mean that its professionally run and would attract the best cars and sponsors from day one.

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thats a great idea craig!

#10 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

That sounds like it would be an awsome event would love to be at that one....And another thing were would you have it at?? which track??

haha no way your not allowed to play . :surrenderwave:

Great idea Matt , i think it definately has the potential to be massive

#11 _suxgas_

_suxgas_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Awwwwww please :innocent: i will give you a head start i promise... :surrenderwave:

#12 _big block coupe_

_big block coupe_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Sign me up! I would be there!
We could break it up into time based categories under 10's,10-12,12-14 then 14 sec plus?
Sounds good any way & I think we would get some decent numbers!

#13 _mpipa_

_mpipa_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

i reckon that is a great idea, it would be good to see what calibre toranas there are out there and see how high other people are setting the bar, and of course see some drags and burnouts. Who wouldn't want to be crown the fasterst torana in Aus, definetly something to look into to get started

#14 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, still got ideas for this! I need to have a chin wag with a few other local torry guys to get something happening.

I'd love to have something to aim for! I'll have to attend a few other "Nationals" to see how they run and get more ideas!

Anyone chat about this at the Maroondah Dam Cruise?

#15 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

I WILL race this event if it happens!!!

Great idea

#16 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Love the idea! (would a HQ be allowed to race??)

I waw talking with John Henman regarding allowing faster cars at our next drag day as i know guys like Anthony (HYP400) SUXGAS and MANY others could not race at our drag day due to the 11.0 sec cutoff!

He did day that to hold an event with quicker cars cost more for the ANDRA licencing ( insurance) and a bigger and different fire/safety safari crew on hand.

I think it could be done, Even it was state based at this time to keep travel costs down!

We could :
1) Speak to an event promoter if required
2) Speak directly to the tracks to discuss their requirements to hold an event
3) Speak to companies about sponsorship ( I'm SURE Rare Spares would support us as they always have!!)
4) Organise a day at each track around AUST, with the times and increments recorded by an "official" GMH-T timekeeper on the day and then correlate the winner/s later to be published both here, and maybe possibly even in an interested publication!

Hrm!
There's some logisitcs involved here, but nothing impossible!!

#17 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Cmon boys lets get this happening :burnout:

#18 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

4) Organise a day at each track around AUST, with the times and increments recorded by an "official" GMH-T timekeeper on the day and then correlate the winner/s later to be published both here, and maybe possibly even in an interested publication!

I was thinking along similar lines Tiny, and I know that Willowbank wont be a problem for the faster cars etc. The only issue I can foresee with having a national event spread across 4 or 5 different tracks is trying to level the playing field. Each track will have a different prep, altitude, track temp, ambient temp etc which could be a contentious issue if prize money is involved for an overall winner. I guess a way around this would be to offer prize's to the state winners only and bragging rights to national winners. Maybe there is some sort of formula that can be used to equalise the results from each track?

As far as media coverage goes, I dont think there will be a problem attracting the attention of a few of the magazines.

So far, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne have run successful Torana Drag Days. We just need some representation from Perth and Darwin (maybe?). I know Adelaide doesnt have a strip at the moment, not sure about Tassie though.

#19 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Gday Tony,

I was concerned about the same thing too, and that's why I dont want to offer prize money of any large value.
I envisage the GMH-T torana drag nationals to be a fun event where people "run what ya brung" much like the events we've already run.

As you suggested individual prizes, a few trophies on the day to various (Pre-Organised) categories/events would be fine i think, and the overall winner could maybe get a small plaque or something?

I can see a real problem with Prize Money and such things being offered.

Cheers!

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

I agree, not a fan on the prize money side of things.... Recognition would be the only form of reward... And maybe a trophy

#21 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

I think that if you want to attract the really fast Torana's (Johnny Wilson, Ivan Tesic, Mick Voase, Simon Kryger, Angela Dow etc) then a little bit more than bragging rights and maybe a trophy needs to be offered. These folk already have the numbers on the board and their times are published each month in Street Machine. I am not saying they wouldnt come, but what incentive is there for them to organise their crew, transport, fuel etc just so they can prove what the public already know?

If you want to simply cater to the GMH-T crowd and other over 9 sec cars then I agree, prize money will not be the prime motivating factor and recognition should do the trick. Definitely offer a trophy to the class winners though. Trophies are cheap and it gives the winner something to put in the bar. A gift voucher or prize pack to the winners also helps to attract entrants. Everyone wants to win something, doesnt matter how big or small it is. It doesnt have to be expensive either. Get a sponsor to donate a small prize for each class and in return put their name on the trophy, promote their logo on this website (and any advertising material) and mention them in any media write up. As LXCHEV said earlier on, start small and work up.

The first thing that needs to be decided though is who this event is catering for and who we are trying to attract. Once that decision has been made the planning will be a alot easier to get started.

If it is just us and the wider "street and strip" Torana community then it wont be too hard to get going.

#22 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I agree, start small and work up.

Prize money wouldn't come out of our pockets, it would come from sponsors.

Sure, the recognition and bragging rights, won't kick in for a few years... But I can imagine the ego's of some of the big guys, would start to flutter at the thought of someone else being called the "Torana Drag Nationals - Champion" that's got a slower car than them... It would eat them from the inside!!! LOL

That's the reason a lot of them sign up to every forum with a Drag Racing leader board and enter their times! They want everyone to know they are the fastest!

#23 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Sure, the recognition and bragging rights, won't kick in for a few years... But I can imagine the ego's of some of the big guys, would start to flutter at the thought of someone else being called the "Torana Drag Nationals - Champion" that's got a slower car than them... It would eat them from the inside!!! LOL

Good point Matt. I'm sure Johnny Wilson wont like the fact the Big T's UC is known as the "Fastest Torana in Australia". :lol:

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Good point Matt. I'm sure Johnny Wilson wont like the fact the Big T's UC is known as the "Fastest Torana in Australia". :lol:

HAHA! You have to make it to the track before you can start saying stuff like that!

But yeah... We need to build the brand 'TORANA DRAG NATIONALS'

#25 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

I personally like matt's idea, and i can completely see you're view too Tony!

I agree that the heavy hitters would come if it were worthwhile prize money, but it's something I dont think we can safely organise an event with major prize money ( Especially sponsor money!!)

I have got alot of time right now.. but definitely more thought needs to go into it..
I think your question is the pertinent one Tony, Who do we want to cater to!

CHeers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users