304 + T5 into LX help

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

hi all its been a while as i have been getting stuck into house renos but now while i wait for the concrete to cure so i can dril into tit i attacked te Torana today, i have the HQ brackets & engine mounts and have the motor sitting right now but what i wanna know from those that have done this conversion is.......... did you have to cut the tunnel to get some good clearence for the T5 as i would like to try and keep it the way it is with out cutting the tunnle but its looking like it needs to be cut so i get some more room for the tranny !!! if anyone has any pic's that they might like to share i would really appreciate it heaps as i want to move onto the next stage on the build thanks in advance Posted Image

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

T400
T700
Tremec TKO600
Tremec TR3550

All these fit without butchering the tunnel

I would have thought the T5 to be smaller

Even Super T10 only needs room made for the shifter not the box

Where does it look tight ?

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

Pictures of a T56 conversion in this thread.

It is my understanding that the Commodore T56 extension housing does not clear the reinforcing hump in the LX torana tunnel. Mal Wood sells a extension housing to suit the T56 into an Torana for around $2400.

I do not know if the same problem applies to the T5.

#4 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

T400
T700
Tremec TKO600
Tremec TR3550

All these fit without butchering the tunnel

I would have thought the T5 to be smaller

Even Super T10 only needs room made for the shifter not the box

Where does it look tight ?

HI dattoman, thx for the quick reply, the T5 seems to to be hitting the tunnle from just in front of the shifter top plate through to the larger top plate at the front of the box, i cant come down on the motor anymore but im searching for about 50mm more clearence at the top of the box as i only have about 10mm at the moment... i have cut the hoole for the shifter and its all sitting good without making the angle on the uni's to savage !! so all in all im happy with how its sitting now just clearence is my main concerne...

#5 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

come on kids someone has to know something ??Posted Image

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

10 mm clearance on a gearbox should be plenty, the NCOP requirement is a minimum of 10 mm. Why do you want 50 mm + clearance?

#7 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

hey Andy, it was just a figure of 50mm the T5 has a weird top plate on it and gets in the way.. 10mm clearence at the shifter end left the top of the box at the bell end hard on the tunnel but i have it sorted now and my arms are stuffed after R&R the box about 7 times today Posted Image i will post some pic's in my build thread soon oh yeah i also found out that there was a little lug hanging of the side of the tranny about 20mm that was hitting the side of the tunnel but the 1mm cutting wheel couldnt fix Posted Image

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Youngy has one in his hatch, had to make a fair bit of room around the shifter

#9 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

any pics??

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

lol yeah they have been posted, I don't know if they were in his build thread or somewhere else

#11 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

thx heath i wil ask him if he has any pic's Posted Image

#12 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

IM here!!!

I had problems with the box hitting where you described, when trying to get the shifter up high enough. The guts of it basicaly.

I have been told the Ford T5 is smaller but it looks like its a little too late for that.

Your 304 would sit in a very similar position to the V6 maybe a little more forward but I think you will have to do some tunnel work.

Clearance problems
Posted Image

Heres some photos of the tunnel I had to get fabbed up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

thx youngy i found your build thread and stole ya pic's of your tunnel mod Posted Image the T5 sits in the same spot with the V6 & 304. if you dont mind me asking did you do the fab your self of did you have someone do it for you ?? if someone did it for you can you remember what it cost you but if you did it your self do you have any kid of measurments from when you done it ?? also what speedo cable are you running to match up with the Torana cluster ??? did you pick up a conversion cable that slips straight in and was it a local place where you picked it up from?? lol hows that for a quick 20 questions Posted Image i just gotta sort this bit out then i can rip the donk out and finish up on the rest of the car so that way when i have painted it i know the motor and box it gonna go straight in without coming across the little piss me off problems lol and thx again for posting up them pics of the tunnel mod mate i do appreciate it heaps Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

No worries lee. Profab at fairy meadow did the tunnel, it was $500 from memory. You would probably be able to do it with your metal work skills. I don't have any templates, as you can see they expanded it quite a bit. You have some good reference photos if you are going to have a go yourself. I got a conversion kit from Pat Gardener (V6 conversions). It screws straight onto the side of the box and is cable driven. CRS would do something for sure if not the one I have would work. Only problem is you can't get different toothed driven gears for the T5 so to correct speedo you need to get someone like Humpherys Instruments in Unanderra to make a step down box and I have been quoted $300 for this, so haven't worried as yet.

Did you go to the show at Kembla Grange today?

#15 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

Lee, try Castle Auto Electrics in VIC ph 03 547 1442 for a T5 to LH speedo conversion.

Sorry mate, ph no is 03 5472 1442.

#16 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

I have been told the Ford T5 is smaller

I'm in the middle of having my T-5 recoed atm.
I sourced a rear extention from the ford T-5, & had the box guru fit it to the commodore box. It brings the shifter forward about 50-65mm, compared to the commy box. The ford rear extention looks visually, slightly narrower.
The ford rear extention fits without further gearbox mods. That was actually surprising! I had expected it to be a huge PIA!
I haven't got my box back yet, or done the trial fit, but i will let the forums know of the result.

#17 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

thx for all the feed back fella's...

Ryan- sry mate i had to be a copy cat on your tunnel mate i had my on thoughts but when i seen yours it looked and seemed so much neater and easyer Posted Image also thx for all the other info tooPosted Image

Matt- thx for chucking me that number i will have to give them a call if there isnt anywhere local that i can pick up a 304-T5 speedo cable conversion and will have to catch up too Posted Image

Col- thx for your info too mate but if only i knew the fraud T5 would have done the job sooner but hey there always another Torana to build yet shhhhhhhhhh dont tell the wife Posted Image

pic's of this arvos effot are posted up in my build thread LX UNDER CONSTRUCTION

thx again fellas

#18 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

I recently bought a gearbox x-member, speed signal sensor & wiring loom & speedo cable for the TH700 that's going in my Torana from CAE. They were pretty good, it was delivered within two days. Thing is i had a spare speedo cable from my SLR that looks identical to the one i just bought. It may suit T5 as it has the clip on end for the Torana instrument cluster, & a screw fitting on the other end. I don't know if manual Commies have speed signal sensors or how the cable goes on to the box, but if it will fit, you can use the spare cable i have. You may then only need a sensor & or an elbow fitting to mate it to your T5. I'll try & get over to my old man's during the week & pick it up so i can post a pic of it if you like.

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hi. I have a holden T5 in a hatch behind a 308. It fits fine with no tunnel mods. Shouldnt need to carve a large hole to make it fit.
Even the R154 supra box in my other torrie fits without mods and they are a large box!

#20 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Thats very suprising rexy. :dontknow:

#21 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

very very suprising rexy ??? got any pic's ??Posted Image

#22 _UC_L76_

_UC_L76_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:09 AM

very very suprising rexy ??? got any pic's ??Posted Image

I think it depends on the T5. I'm pretty sure the selecter housing is shorter on the early model (VK) box. i have heard of some ppl converting a ford T5 to fit as they have a shorter housing as well.

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

No pics with the cars in a state of undress for the doubting thomases.
Small trim around the back of the standard hole for the shifter - yes, any more butchery than this - no.
The R154 replaced a dead W 55 supra box using a hadfield bellhousing + spacer plate and one of his kit crossmembers. Minor mod to the thrust bearing race plus a few other small odds and ends. It all fit beautifully the first time and has survived nine years and 60,000 kilometers of abuse. If only his hydraulic clutch setups were as painless to get right!

#24 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

im not sure what some of u guys have done differently, but i used HQ engine mounts, CRS crossmember and fitted a T5 in my tunnel fine! this tread is good but seen some in the past with people prentnding to know what they talking about and sending people in the complete wrong directing with an angle grinder lol!
i had to drop motor in then slide bellhousing and box up and bolt up.
came up fine! had 2 cut hole bigger for shifter to pop through but apart from that all good.
hope this helps, like seeing people doing the same as what im in the process of!

brett

#25 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

i dont know how you did it mate i used HQ mounts also and brakets and to get the motor to sit at the right angle there wasnt a hope in hell of getting mine in there chuck up some pic's if have some would be good to see

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users