how do I clean carbies and manifold?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _mike 66_

_mike 66_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to DIY clean carbies and manifolds? Is there any chemicals that can get into all those small pores in the rough cast aluminium or should this be left to the professionals? If it is what process do they use to clean them, are the manifolds bead blasted? And then are the carbies zinc/nickel plated to make them look new?

Thanks

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

I'm not exactly following you... if you want to clean a carbie then you can just use Metho. Pull it down and scrub everything thoroughly and put it together again with new gaskets. As for the exterior of manifolds, you use whatever you want. I don't know what what you do if you want to flush them out or clean the insides.

Does that answer your question at all?

#3 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to DIY clean carbies and manifolds? Is there any chemicals that can get into all those small pores in the rough cast aluminium or should this be left to the professionals? If it is what process do they use to clean them, are the manifolds bead blasted? And then are the carbies zinc/nickel plated to make them look new?

Thanks

Yes that is exactly what thay do ,, with a very mild acid barth of the carbi body

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

You can go to any motor accessories shop and buy a can of carburettor cleaner, this helps clean internals and externals, it's a spray on product. (the one I found was a spray).
It will clean the external carby buildup of petrol and oil deposits and supposedly helps clear the jets too.

A word of warning - read the instructions as this stuff is highly flamable when wet.

It works a treat and costs maybe 10 bucks.

Cheers
Herne

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

yes you can sand or bead blast the manifold and recolour/plate the carb...but they aren't back yard jobs.

For thew DIYer you can use carby cleaner spray.

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

Moved to the correct section!

#7 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

cant beat a can of carbie cleaner for a quick decent clean up. supercheap $8-12 a can.

A1

#8 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Carby Cleaner is very serious DIY stuff, works a treat for carbies...

The manifold is best off being bead blasted.. most engine rebuild shops have a blasting cabinet and should only charge you about $50 or so to do it ( I'm guessing!)

Cheers

#9 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hydro blasting is 10 times better than bead blasting and doesnt remove any material.Hydro blasting is aircraft technology and is awesome.Anyone post a photo for me? :spoton:

#10 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

pip: where can you get hydro blasting done? is it costly? how does it work!?

Cheers :)

#11 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have rebuild my single barrel stromberg (when i was running Petrol not gas) a few times and drowning it in carby cleaner & petrol worked a treat. You have to disassemble it as well, but the carby cleaner is good for squirting up jets and into little holes. The can of carby cleaner i had, had a very powerfull spray.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 03 April 2006 - 08:53 PM.

#12 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

its done here in melbourne.It works by hot tanking the item and then high pressure water blasting with very very small plastic beads.They are tiny..It nearly polishes the aluminium and it looks painted.I have had nearly everything on my car done even the front brake calipers and stub axles. It brings up metal better than new. Not that costly considering but the guy cannot keep up with the work he has already.He restores a lot of old mercedes and triumph motor cycle engines. Now those guys are fussy let me tell you..Just scared if i tell everyone i wont get the rest of my shit done..And he still has plenty of my stuff. :spoton:

#13 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Photo's of Phil's carbs after hydro blasting.

https://cache.gmh-to...na/IMGP2475.jpg
https://cache.gmh-to...na/IMGP2472.jpg

Andrew 2.

#14 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:38 PM

Don't get too much carby clean up your nose :spit:

RACV MAN

#15 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

get HEAPS... its good shit :blink:

Just kidding.. as i said above its very potent stuff... GREAT for getting ingrained grease fron the cracks of your hands while cleaning carbies ;)

#16 _mike 66_

_mike 66_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

WOW..... Thanks heaps for the replies... Just got home and couldnt believe how much every one wants to help.. Thanks again. Those hydro blasted triples look fantastic> I am guessing they where pulled down blasted and then rebuilt? or just blasted as a complete set up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users