more 253 conversion questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:38 PM

Keith mentioned 2 me that when installing the V8 it is possible 2 use HQ engine brackets and this drops the engine to allow clearance for the rocker cover from the brake booster. He said u use 2 of the same bracket from one side of the HQ???????? but cant remember which side. Any one done this????

I have also been told that keeping the column shift trimatic i am going 2 have 2 change the manifold i use because the V8 manifold doesnt fit with column shift trimatic???? I was told 2 use standard manifold.!?!?!

just a reminder this work is being done on Ruby (LX) currently running a 173 :ZZZ: i will b keeping the brake booster that is on her now, but if its too scarey then I'll change later.

p.s sorry about the april fools 'for sale' thread, but i knew it would spin a few heads. :clap:

#2 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

anyone????

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

To my knowledge, HQ and Torana engine mounts are the same.

#4 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

i will b keeping the brake booster that is on her now, but if its too scarey then I'll change later.

For the love of god, please don't.

When it comes to safety thing's like brakes, don't be a scimp and scrounge/save money.
If you can't afford to buy/reco a v8 brake booster, you can't afford this conversion!

#5 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Loki I have been told the 6cyl booster is enough 2 cope with the V8. Is this not right???

#6 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

Loki I have been told the 6cyl booster is enough 2 cope with the V8. Is this not right???

In short, the booster makes pushing the pedal to the floor easier/pushing the brakes on harder easier.
The more weight you ahve the harder you have to push the brakes to stop (and therefore harder before they lock up as well).
The booster makes using the brake pedal easier to apply the correct amount of pressure to the pads.

It's simply a safety thing to upgrade the booster.I'm not entirely sure but I also thought it was a registration legality.

My golden rule is simply: if it's related to stopping or safety, don't @#$ bguck around, ghetto mod anything or take the cheap shortcut, it's not just your life, it's your passengers, other road users and pedestrians.

And sure, of course its "enough" to stop the car, you can roll down a giant hill with the engine off, and even without the power assisted brakes it's still "enough" to stop, doesn't make it safe or easy though.

Edited by Loki, 10 April 2006 - 11:39 AM.

#7 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

here we don't have any probs with rego as the LX was brought out with the V8 we just have 2 change engine numbers. no roadworthy or anything reqd.

I will c how we go once engine is in.

#8 _BlownOutlaw_

_BlownOutlaw_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

I also believe the engine mounts are the same.

Have also converted 6cyl to V8 keeping the original braking system. Had no problems.

Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users