SS LX hatch build up

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hey Guy's

I am new to this site and have certainly been blown away with thequality of the vehicles produced by some of the members and such asAyden's hatch, it has inspired me to share some of the build shots anddescription of my Torry progress which after 12 years in the making hasalmost come to an end.

To start off I bought her as a rolling shell some 12 years ago of agood friend of mine, she didn't look much at the time but all the partswere there and she was an original 76 lX SS hatch L31. (half the reasonI bought her..........but of course I am also a bit partial to thehatch's)

Attached File  01.JPG   205.87K   83 downloadsAttached File  02.JPG   210.77K   132 downloads

Now I wont go and bore you with the details, but needless to say I started building the car when I was younger and was heading down a style nightmare and it took 5 years to build to almost ready stage just to have started all over again the right way.

So I will skip the first build photo's, as they are embarassing and go straight to the second time around.

Here is a shot of the engine bay prep, sooo many holes to weld.
Attached File  3eng bay prep.JPG   146.52K   136 downloads
Prep work on the body
Attached File  almost painted.JPG   106.92K   155 downloads
The layup of the Pearl blue ghost flames over the Galaxy Blue paint
Attached File  Bonnet flames before clear.JPG   118.23K   127 downloads
trial paint of the flame work, have to give credit to the Airbrush artist as to me it didn't look enough color.
Attached File  bonnet flames pearl reflecting bf clear.JPG   99.09K   140 downloads
After the paint, straight of the gun
Attached File  after paint and cleared.jpg   127.24K   153 downloads
Bonnet after paint
Attached File  bonnet after clear.jpg   43.25K   177 downloads
Engine bay after paint
Attached File  eng bay cleared.jpg   128.53K   180 downloads

I'll skip the long winded slow build up and go straight to the engine build and then final shots of where she is at now.
Engine built up ready to go in the car

Attached File  DSC02848.JPG   150.73K   179 downloads
Engine bay shots as it stands now
Attached File  Engine bay.JPG   167.24K   246 downloads
Attached File  engine bay1.JPG   159.64K   280 downloads
Here are some shots of the vehicle outside Sprints and my Trimmers workshop
Attached File  Torry.JPG   97K   311 downloads
Attached File  rear shot.JPG   122.44K   289 downloads
Attached File  Sprints shot.JPG   132.98K   280 downloads
Last shot is what I have done with the boot install under the floor and I managed to squeeze all of the jacking gear and tools in nicely.
Attached File  boot install.JPG   109.46K   220 downloads

That's it for now until my Trimmer can finish of the interior and by the way it has taken 12 years because the only things I havent done myself are the external paint, bottom end engine build and the Trim. The rest is all me.

I thank you all for viewing and I certainly welcome any critsims, comments or suggestions that you all may have, as there is certainly alot of Torry building experience in this site.

Cheers for now Dave

#2 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Nice build up. Not what everyone would do with an L31. Not sure about the flames myself??? Anyhow I bet you love getting out for a cruise. The hatches have always been the dream car for me as well. Enjoy it.......
Cheers, Craig
P.S. the engine bay looks trick

#3 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:44 PM

:clap:

Far out mate, thats come up awesome!

LOVE that boot install!

If you dont mind me asking, what size tyres and rims are on it?

Cheers.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well done dave long time but the reward is there great lookin hatch G.

#5 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hi thanks for posting and well done on your efforts very nice workmanship
critisms none

my thoughts are I like the orginal ideas, while I m not a fan of flames I like that you have done something different, I think the old school mags are good too but old school mags and flame job are a bad mix either go with modern mags or go back to old school paint job

attention to detail particluly engine bay and boot top marks

thanks for sharing and job well done now go and enjoy drive it till the wheels fall off

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Looks awesome to me, and welcome to the forum. I just love the detailing on the engine itself for one.

I see quite a few little 'neat touches' that I haven't seen before in the engine bay alone. I bet a lot of time have gone into creating this one haha cheers

What's the running gear?

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

Its good to see something that obviously has some individual taste, I like the boot install too

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

Oh Great stuff!!!!

Hatches are the greatest! HAHA!

I really like your boot install! Great idea to have a nice organised tool kit in there! It's what every torana needs! HAHA!

Is that a A/C condenser I see? or a Power Steering pump? I really like the neat engine bay, and the flames are subtle (Im normally not a fan, but they are subtle and i don't mind them!) Kinda reminds me of smokems car!

#9 _soss_

_soss_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

well i certinly cant see anything to critisise,,, full credit to yourself for doing all you cood yourself :clap: i love the stance ,the wheels , and most of all those ghost flames look awsome !!! ,,,the flames can make or break a car like yours ,,your air brush dood has certanly nailed it,, well done all round :clap: :clap:

#10 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

welcome to the forums firstly and second you have got your self a neat looking hatch there, i my self am not a great fan of flames, flares, spoilers and all that jazz but i think you have done a great job and those involved in the build, i bet you cant wait to get out for a good cruise either im very sure it will get some attention Posted Image

#11 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

I thankyou all for your kind comments. All I started out to do was to build a hatch to my standard of build and obviously my tastes, but to have subtle modern aspects added that don't detract to much from the old sckool look and feel. I am blown away that you all like it, considering the build standards on this site and that it was only done to how I wanted to build her (i'e not to a trophy sheet)
Subtle things I have changed besides the obvious is, no door locks or boot locks (keyless enty) electric windows, changed the Split folding seats into one bench folding to accomidate the child seat that will sit in the centre and anchor back the the tail gate catch (oh... and it will be trimmed the same as the rest of the car) and lastly a custom air-con job.

To answer some raised questions:

Mello92,

the tyre sizes are: rear, 265/50/15 on Magnum (x-bathurst Rims) 15x10's with 5" backspacing and fronts are 245/50/14 on CSA 14x7 rims.
I have a matching set of rims for each. Ie a full set of magnums (fronts are not polished yet) and I also have rear 14x8 CSA'a with 4" backspacing with brand new BF goodrich 265/50/14 tyres. As we all know it is very hard to find 265/50/14's arond these days so these will end up being my display tyres. Thus the reason there are BF's on the front and Yoky's on the rear. I ended up getting the rear tyres for nothing.
And 265/50/15's are easier to find.
Attached File  P1030096.JPG   532.99K   70 downloads
Difference between the two rear tyres and rims
I did toy with the idea of 295/50/15's but the car looked like one of thoses cartoon funny cars with the biggest tyres possible under them.
Attached File  P1020917.JPG   444.23K   86 downloads

Heath,

The running gear is all standard at the moment (to get her registered) and it has obviously a 308 up front, M21 box and a GU7 diff as per the plates.
Attached File  P1020712.JPG   473.65K   113 downloads
Attached File  P1020713.JPG   462.25K   100 downloads
Attached File  P1020711.JPG   449.2K   92 downloads
Attached File  P1020902.JPG   565.93K   113 downloads

MRLXSS,

It is an A/C compressor you see in the engine bay, I didn't like the way the 308 brackets sitted and stuck the eyesore of a compressor right over the valley cover, so I decided to change where she was mounted.
this way the engine bay looks symetrical and the gilmer/ vband works well together.
I also custom hid the Condenser in front of the radiator and behind the fans and ran custom routed lines to a modified under dash unit plumed into the original heater box, so the theair comes out of the middle vents.
Attached File  air con pump.JPG   111.13K   138 downloads

As a foot note the interior is basically standard SS with all added accessories hidden and the seats will be HQ black vinayl with a black and silver check (5mm checks) cloth insert.
Attached File  P1020687.JPG   531.42K   131 downloads

I thankyou all once again and though we all have different taste and idea's, it is nice to chat with those that can appreciate a good build and the effort that goes into it.
Again, please fell free to add any suggestions comments and critisims.

Happy Torana building.

Cheers Dave

Attached Files

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

I wonder what you do for a living Dave... I've seen the build of this car on another forum at work haven't I...

#13 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

f*ck me that's a beautiful piece of work you have there mate

i hope that my 4 door turns out just as lovely as that

... im loving the ghost flames too

cheers josh

#14 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

lots of blood sweat and $$$$ there
nice work m8t

#15 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Mate, a great build up
and an excellent colour of choice, Most of the hatches gettin around S.A seem to be blue including mine.

do you take it out much of just keep it tucked away from harms way?

cheers
marc

#16 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Nice work mate, your hatch is looking awesome!

Hope you get at least another 12 years worth of enjoyment cruising around in it.

Nice tough stance and I love the ghost flames too Posted Image

How long 'till rego and what's your plan for the driveline?

#17 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hey guy's,

Thanks for the great responses,............. just makes me want to drive her now though!

Marc:

It is still tucked away as it isn't rego'd yet and my trimmer hasn't done the seats, door cards and carpet yet, so I am not displaying her in the flesh until it is all done and driving on the road. But, I was very tempted to just black out the windows and put her in the All Torry day coming up on the 8th, But Brian didn't want to show her until he had trimmed her. :cry:

So you will have to wait until the SMASA show and shine to see her in her full debut glory.

Ballie:

Reg should happen either Mid December this year or early Jan next year (waiting on Trimmer)

Cheers All.... and those that can...........drive em hard...........and to those that are still building.........the light gets closer and closer every day.

Cheers Dave

Sorry forgot to add,

Ballie,

Driveline will hopefully be Top loader and 9 inch...............I know...... not to original but it works.

Cheers dave

#18 _LXATIV_

_LXATIV_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

I thankyou all for your kind comments. All I started out to do was to build a hatch to my standard of build and obviously my tastes, but to have subtle modern aspects added that don't detract to much from the old sckool look and feel. I am blown away that you all like it, considering the build standards on this site and that it was only done to how I wanted to build her (i'e not to a trophy sheet)
Subtle things I have changed besides the obvious is, no door locks or boot locks (keyless enty) electric windows, changed the Split folding seats into one bench folding to accomidate the child seat that will sit in the centre and anchor back the the tail gate catch (oh... and it will be trimmed the same as the rest of the car) and lastly a custom air-con job.

To answer some raised questions:

Mello92,

the tyre sizes are: rear, 265/50/15 on Magnum (x-bathurst Rims) 15x10's with 5" backspacing and fronts are 245/50/14 on CSA 14x7 rims.
I have a matching set of rims for each. Ie a full set of magnums (fronts are not polished yet) and I also have rear 14x8 CSA'a with 4" backspacing with brand new BF goodrich 265/50/14 tyres. As we all know it is very hard to find 265/50/14's arond these days so these will end up being my display tyres. Thus the reason there are BF's on the front and Yoky's on the rear. I ended up getting the rear tyres for nothing.
And 265/50/15's are easier to find.
Difference between the two rear tyres and rims
I did toy with the idea of 295/50/15's but the car looked like one of thoses cartoon funny cars with the biggest tyres possible under them.
Attached File  P1020917.JPG   444.23K   86 downloads

Loving that hatch mate, looks awesome. Bet you cant wait to go for a burn after waiting for so long. I was just wondering where you had gotten your rims from? Definetly a fan of them. Look very 70's to me

#19 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hi LXATIV,

I ended up getting them from EBAY, and it took me 2-3 years to find a set, just lucky to have found them at all. You are correct with the vintage as they are Sampson Engineering Magnums made here in SA and they were mainly made for Bathurst. These wheels have had some track time and I am yet to find out who ran with them as the have sequential Bathurst serial numbers on them.

I am a big fan of period mags and you don't see too many nice Torry's with them on any more, they always show them with Convo pro's..

Cheers For the comments, nice to see there are still some jelly bean fans out there.

Dave.

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Are these Herne's old wheels?

I like the hatch mate, love the engine bay. The flames are brilliantly done but I dunno if I like them against the flares. Beautiful car either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in it.

Tim

#21 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hey Tim.

Can't think of the name of the guy that sold them, he was here in SA, and he ended the auction on EBAY early as these wheels were going to an uncle up in Queensland. But he ended up changing his mind so I scored them instead.......bonus. They were a full set, 15x10's times 3 for the rear and 14x7 times 2 for the fronts.

He was also selling a set of detailed hotwires as well.

It was funny actually, my mate Brian from Cool Trimming has a meet and greet show every year and this years, the guy actually showed up and as I was talking to him and he recognised the wheels and he ended up being the guy I got them from.............but still cant remember his name.........arguhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho, thanks for the comments and I am so hanging out to go for a drive.

Cheers Dave

#22 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

That A/C install is real nice...

#23 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Great build mate, lots of neat little touches. Love the boot install and engine bay, you used the space well.
Good to see something a little different on an L31. It's not necessarily everyones choice and the flames are not my thing
but it is nice to have some variety, and you certainly did a great job.
Top job. :spoton:

#24 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Adelaide has Hatch's tucked away everywhere. Another blue one appears, it's like a colany of smurfs :). Almost becoming as common as Red Taxis :P .
All the work you've done looks top notch. Looking forward to seeing it out and about at some stage.

#25 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

thats schmick as! love the flames, very tasteful indeed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users