SS LX hatch build up

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hi all,

here are some updated photo's on the progress on the missus SLR clone.

Slowly restoring all the little bits on the side but now I am up o the rub down, fix and paint stage, yippie, I realy love panel work......not!!!!!!

Here is the disassembly
Attached File  torry progress.JPG   190.4K   3 downloads
Attached File  torry progress 2.JPG   141.81K   0 downloads
the boot looked like swiss cheese with all of the holes from different spoiler fitments
Attached File  Photo0007.jpg   55.07K   0 downloads
next a shot of the rear window frame with some rust
Attached File  Photo0016.jpg   58.93K   4 downloads
next because the more I took it back to metal the more pink dust there was, I ended up getting replacement panels and doors.
Attached File  Photo0005.jpg   70.71K   0 downloads
Attached File  Photo0015.jpg   53.05K   0 downloads
next a shot of the prep work on the new door with painted inners in the color the car will be, jet back and monza red.
Attached File  Photo0006.jpg   70.08K   1 downloads
Attached File  Photo0004.jpg   75.28K   0 downloads

comments, feedback or help all would be appreciated as I am no panel beater and any tip wouldn't go astray.

Cheers Dave

#52 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi Guy's
Long time between drinks. Not enough time in the day anymore.
For those that are interested, here are a few quick updates on my Torry madness
My baby has been received well with plenty of comments, head turners and praise. I humbly thank you all for your gracious comments on and off forum. They make me proud of the effort I went to to build my car the way I like it.
Since last time, my baby has receivied a new set of shoes. I wasn't really looking for a set but these landed in my lap and I couldn't say no.
They are 16x10 and 16x7 1/2 B45 Simmons, neutral offset, and off a Ferrari. (apparently same stud pattern as Torana) I bought these and spent the time prettying them up. They run 225/45/16 fronts and 265/45/16 rears. I wasn't to keen on them as I always have a soft spot for the Magnums but the do suit the flames. THOUGHTs?????????????????????
Attached File  torry 1.jpg   335.68K   1 downloads
Attached File  zz1.jpg   287.11K   0 downloads

Alright enough about my Torana, The next post will have the missus shot, due to limitations.

Cheers Dave

PTO

#53 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi again,

I will see how this goes with the photo's.

First up is the engine bay.
I tried my best to keep it looking as original as possible, original hose clamps, original looking Battery, but as this is the missus car, see dictates the way see wants it. (thus the chrome air filter. But I convinced her to use the decals and it worked well, as the Gas hat fits under the filter)
She runs and the only thing left in the bay to do is the gas install and ac hoses.
Attached File  engine bay.jpg   204.66K   22 downloads

Next is my progress on the bodywork...................sllllooooow and painful. But it is looking not to bad for the base colour. Just the roof, sills, rear and quarters to go, then final block rub, paint and blackouts.
Attached File  side shot.jpg   154.53K   0 downloads

Next up is one of the front Black on Black door cards that I had to make, again due to the missus wanting black interior.
note the door top vynal, this is how the LH workshop manual say's they are supposed to be. I.e. not just folded around and screwed.
Attached File  front lh door trim.jpg   167.89K   1 downloads

Here is my last two posts for now. The missus.......again........wanted a CD player in her car.......I wanted the original Radio.......here is the compromise.
looks like an original radio..........doesn't it!!!!!!
Attached File  dash radio.jpg   208.89K   3 downloads

TA....DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It folds down to reveal the CD player behind it. another one of my creations. This way I get my original look and she has her CD player.
Attached File  dash radio cd.jpg   206.38K   2 downloads

Once again I thank you all for your attention and feel free to add any comments, queries, questions (like how did he do that) I don't haver a problem sharing the secrets.

Happy Torana motoring and see some of you at ALL GM DAY

Dave

#54 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

mate that radio trick is bloody cleaver, that is a top shelf compromise.

#55 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

+1 on the radio/cd player compromise, love the engine bay nice neat and tidy, those wheels lok sweet on the hatch and I'm loving the dish on them

#56 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Couple of nice cars you got there mate, I reckon the ghost flames suit the blue paint job. Just with your tyres on the new rims what brand are they the widest non drag radilas I can find at the moment are 255s

#57 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Couple of nice cars you got there mate, I reckon the ghost flames suit the blue paint job. Just with your tyres on the new rims what brand are they the widest non drag radilas I can find at the moment are 255s

There are no wide tyres for 16" rims. I made the same mistake when I bought my Billets, wish I had known at the time.
You need to go to 17" rims if you want to fill Torana guards with fat rubber and have a range of tyre choices. It's very hard to find low profile fat 15" rubber also.

#58 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Great looking hatch dave and am loving those simmons im sure the red breat will look just as good :clap:

#59 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Cheers for posting Dave
I like that you have done something different with the paint on your hatch, and as big a fan as I am of the simmons I think your car with that non-torana style paint job would actually suit a more bling mag wheel, so stick them on wifes car instead and go radical on yours.
Like the radio itdea too

#60 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Those new wheels look cool, love the custom radio mod too lol! where are you hiding the Nos bottles? :D

#61 _Shanes77LxHatch_

_Shanes77LxHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Looks great man, especially like the boot setup and the hidden cd player, very nice.

#62 _galaxyhatch_

_galaxyhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Again,

Thankyou all for your comments and idea's.

Sorry for the late response....kids + work + wifes Torry = no time for computer.

The radio facia was something I was toying with and was very happy with how it turned out.

I have gone back to the jellys for now with the wheels until my new 275 45 16 toyo's get here.......the 15x10 jelly's with 265 50 15 just fill out the guards better for now.

To Shane about 16 inch tyres,

I have found a set of 275 45 16 tyres made by Toyo to suit, still a street strip but a good tyre none the less..

I tried a set of 305 40 16's but too big in diameter, still fitted in width though.

The only place is the States for the Toyo's, but at least there big enough for the 10 inch rears I have.

Thanks again and I will try not to take so long next time to get back on here.

Cheers Dave

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users