• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Dear Torana friends,

we are looking for adjustable street race shockers for the LH.

And i wonder if there are for the rear availible with integrated performance springs to remove the original springs.

Uwe

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Koni does adjustables for Toranas

There are coilover rear setups available too ... but not front

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Koni Part Numbers
Rear 80-2299
Front 80-2156SP1

McDonald Bros sell QA1 coil over shocks as a bolt in replacement for the front springs and shocks on an LX. I have been told that springs need to be reset or have the top coil removed to suit the Torana. I know someone in Perth who is waiting on a set from McDonald Bros. If the following part numbers are correct then they are much cheaper to buy from the USA. I do not know if you can buy springs suitable for track work.

I think the part number is DGMP1250-1 (250lb) or DGMP1350-1 (350lb)

#4 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

Dear Torana friends,

we are looking for adjustable street race shockers for the LH.

And i wonder if there are for the rear availible with integrated performance springs to remove the original springs.

Uwe

COIL-OVER was the word i didnt know!

Im looking for coil-over suspension.

Thanks

#5 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:35 PM

Koni does adjustables for Toranas

There are coilover rear setups available too ... but not front

I couldnt find rear coilovers in the KONI online catalogue.

Any link or partnumbers or dealername availible ?

Uwe

#6 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

for the rear, get bilstein shocks and a coil over kit to suit. need to run 62mm id springs. around $800 au.

ask for greg [email protected]

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Top Performance in Trade Place, Vermont is the local Koni guru.

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

Koni Part Numbers
Rear 80-2299
Front 80-2156SP1

McDonald Bros sell QA1 coil over shocks as a bolt in replacement for the front springs and shocks on an LX. I have been told that springs need to be reset or have the top coil removed to suit the Torana. I know someone in Perth who is waiting on a set from McDonald Bros. If the following part numbers are correct then they are much cheaper to buy from the USA. I do not know if you can buy springs suitable for track work.

Forgetting the shocks and forgetting the spring rate for a moment, that is a lot of force to be concentrating on the top shock mount don't you think Andy?

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Forgetting the shocks and forgetting the spring rate for a moment, that is a lot of force to be concentrating on the top shock mount don't you think Andy?

The top of the spring locates in the shock tower as per the original spring. The bottom of the spring is supported by the base of the shock instead of the lower control arm. There should be no change to the load on the top shock mount. The only real change in loading is that the lower shock mount is taking the weight of the car instead of the lower spring support that surrounds the lower shock mount.

The shocks in this picture are the same as used with the Torana factory lower control arms. The replacement HQ lower control arms to not look as strong around the shock mount as the factory Torana lower control arms. The top of the replacement spring should really be flat like it is at the bottom so it will sit properly in the shock tower.

Posted Image

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Andy

#11 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

nice kit what's the price on it?

#12 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

any updates on this McDonald Bros setup???

#13 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

I have bought a set, they look very pretty but as LS2LXHatch said might have to get the spring re-set. I'm putting engine and box in this weekend so will be able to try out the suspension in next couple of weeks. Will let you know what problem I face.

#14 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

I did read somewhere in this forum about Bilstein Coilovers adjustable for the rear.(cant find it again)

Is there any more information to get about this shocks ? (Item/order number)

Perhaps in wich other cars it can be used ? (To find them in the catalogue)

Maybe it matches with cars in europe .

#15 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

This may have been the thread you were reading.

It is debatable whether or not the shock tower is strong enough to mount coilover shocks. Tyre clearance may also be an issue.

#16 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

The area wouldn't be hard to strengthen though, especially if you tie the cage onto the mount.

#17 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

Koni Part Numbers
Rear 80-2299
Front 80-2156SP1

Any news about the QA1 shocks?

Im a bit confused about the 250lb and 350lb rate.....somewere in the forum its 750lb front and 250lb rear.

And the QA1 spring lenght in this kit looks a bit long with 10` because the spring at the QA1 sits a bit highr at the shock and not at the lower control arm .

Hard to find out the right parts for the right setup but the QA1 is my favorite option ,so far.

But i need more info.

Edited by The German, 06 May 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

Uwe,
The rear Bilstiens are Mazda 626 sedan/hatchback off memory...about ..hmmm...1980-86?
I used 1100lbs front springs...which are a Bedford van std spring...you should get them for UK easy...rears were 300lbs aprox...some used 280...others 360lbs....hope that helps...the coil overs were a trick idea...a bit hit and miss but to me...none of the top teams used them...back then...or any of the historic guys today...so...??..I also think with such a small body and no reseviour they might tend to over heat...but my main reason for going the "known" Harry way was...why try to reinvent the wheel when you have something you know works that all the top teams used at the time?.I think we can over complicate things at times trying to be to "inventive". I am sorry but the McDonald kit (nice name) looks pretty weak to me...and doubt it has been proven under circuit racing conditions...they are..after all..drag racing guys in the main...we still need to remember we are dealing with a mid 1970s car...all these ideas are great...big bucks..most unproven where you want them..on the track...and lets be honest...what will they save you if anything?..on their best day if they work....0.02 secs per lap?..stick with what is proven and known and keep all that extra cash in your pocket I say.
Just my 2 cents.
R

Edited by rorym, 06 May 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#19 _UFO304_

_UFO304_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

abit late jumping in on this one, but Brad Tilly also said its not worth going down the coil over road, theres plenty of parts, even custom that will work fine.

#20 _doucmyuc_

_doucmyuc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hi guys,

abit late jumping in on this one, but Brad Tilly also said its not worth going down the coil over road, theres plenty of parts, even custom that will work fine.

I personally think thats a big call. There is a big difference between working fine - and performing to its best.

With the lack of descent shocks out there in this local market, and none of the springs here are really that fantastic in progression rate.

Have a good coilover setup is leaps and bounds ahead in weight, consistency and accuracy.

GM vehicles from 69-early 80's used the same system our toranas did, albeit very minor differences. There are an abundance of shocks and coilover kits out there for them.

#21 _UFO304_

_UFO304_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Has anyone worked out a setup of coilovers that bolts straight in ???, i was going to beef up the lower control arms where the shocks bolt up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users