Triple Strommy's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _LCGTRRRR_

_LCGTRRRR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

First of all i'd just like to say a big hello to all fellow Torana enthusiasts as this is my first post. I have been watching this forum for some time now and would just like to say that I think it is truely excellent, the knowledge that some of you guys possess is unreal.
I am currently undertaking a ground up rebuild of a LC 'S' coupe to be somewhat of a GTR mock-up. As it is not original I am not looking to make it 100% concourse, therefore I have decided to do some things a little different. The motor for example is a JL block which is LJ GTR (and later standard LJ's I know) stage three head, 73 Bathurst spec cam, factory GM headers (sourced off a 186'S') and a beautiful set of totally original 1.75 Strommy's. I am going for the clean engine bay look (hidden wiring, relocated battery etc) so I was wanting to run a cable throttle linkage to the carbs to keep up the trend of the bare engine bay look, also I figure it would have to be slightly more responsive??
My question is, is this an easy enough conversion? How is it done, has anybody else out there done this also etc... Any input would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to spending countless hours to come on this forum. Cheers all.

Regards, Adam

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

mate u can adapt pretty much anything to it.. i used to have a simple bike cable setup, bit dodgy but it worked. Now i have a pedal and cable setup out of a nissan 180sx which is perfect.

A1

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Pretty sure Rarespares used to or still does sell a cable accelerator conversion kit. You just have to figure out how to mount it to your carby linkages, ie rotatianal diameter on linkage vs pedal movement to ensure that you can get full throttle at the carbs when the pedal is on the floor. Speco used to sell lots of carb linkage adaptors, including a disc with multiple holes in it for just this purpose.

#4 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Welcome aboard LCGTRRRRRRRRRR !!!!

Hope you enjoy the wealth of knowledge that is available !!!

cheers

Luke :spoton:

#5 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the site Adam,
I'm in the process of converting my LC back to mechanical linkages from cable.
Where are you located?
John.

#6 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

most people just use a later model holden (hj onwards i think) pedal and cable

#7 _LCGTRRRR_

_LCGTRRRR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the welcomes and the input so far. LoneOranger, im located in Adelaide. I have two complete mechanical throttle linkages.

Cheers

#8 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

Hi, i'm alittled bias on the subject of linkages for the XU-1 as my brother makes them. (central coast)
He lists them on ebay complete with torsion rod for i think $300, they are really cheap considering the amount of work that goes into them.
I know your going for a cleaner look but his LJ XU-1 linkages are absolutely identical to factory original in every way.
By the time you replace your setup with aftermarket linkages it would be far cheaper to get a set off him.
At the end of the day you still need linkages to operate each carby plus a cable to push them down which is the same setup as factory except (minus cable) plus you use the same rod along the firewall then the torsion rod to operate the linkages on the manifold.

#9 _LCGTRRRR_

_LCGTRRRR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

gtr161s thanks for your input but I think you may be a little confused? LoneOranger and I were talking about the linkage from the pedal to the carbs, not between the three carbs themselves. I have seen the linkages you speak of on ebay, but I dont need these. My carbs are totally original- manifold, linkages, air cleaners, dotlocs, choke block, fuel block, steel fuel lines, spacers, heat shield, there's no way im gonna mess with these by putting repro stuff on them.
Im wanting to run a cable linkage to eliminate the the mechanical linkage (which includes the rod that runs along the fire wall which you speak of) hence a cleaner look under the hood.

Cheers, Adam

#10 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

got you now, that would be very easy to do with all the aftermarket stuff around these days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users