#1 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

The fuel guage is not working in my LH, I am using a SLR dash but a standard sender, is this ok? where should I start looking? I get a little bit of movement but not much.
any help would be much appreciated.
cheers
Cohen

#2 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

If the other gauges are working OK, and your fuel gauge is reading something, but too low, then I'd be checking the fuel tank earth resistance, and possibly also the gauge cluster earth. LH/LX fuel tanks are not actually properly earthed. They rely on contact with the floorpan and mounting straps for their earth, and that's not a really reliable earth. Fuel gauge sender units are the same for all LH/LXs. Only the temp and oil senders are different.

Easy way to fix the fuel tank earth problem is to get a bit of bare wire and a small hose clamp, clamp one end of the wire onto the metal fuel line where it comes out of the tank (ie at the sender unit), and fix the other end to the floorpan somewhere.

The original gauge cluster earth is too small in diameter and relies on one screw. The gauge earth is located above the headlight switch, with a single philips head screw screwed downwards from the top into the dashboard metal. Check to see if it's tight.

Edited by Dangerous, 05 April 2006 - 10:36 AM.

#3 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:51 AM

cheers mate, I will have a look when I get home on the weekend, the tank earth sounds like it could be the one, I have just put the tank back in, after painting it and the floor.
thanks for the fast reply too.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:51 AM

A regular occurnance on Ole Yella, mine is usually the wire falling off the sender.

Last time it did it I noticed just leaving the pits for five sprint laps. Crossed my finger and hoped it was the wire had fallen off, thankfully it was.

Hope it is something simple like that for you.

#5 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:03 AM

cheers mate, I will have a look when I get home on the weekend, the tank earth sounds like it could be the one, I have just put the tank back in, after painting it and the floor.
thanks for the fast reply too.

Yep, I'd just about put money on it being fuel tank earth then. Just a bit more detail on earthing it. If you completely undo the small hose clamp (I actually use two clamps side by side), you can fit it around the metal fuel line without removing any rubber pipes, and you can then 'close' the clamp again by feeding the end back into the worm screw, and carefully tightening up the clamp. Run the bare wire in between the clamps and the fuel line, and tighten them up. The other end can be earthed to anywhere on the body with a screw or bolt, and use a star washer to make sure it stays tight.

While you're playing around with earths, the next time the dash is out, run an extra earth from the back of the dash cluster (either one of the black wires, or from the mounting screw of the small rectangular silver regulator), and mount the other end of the wire to one of the 5/16" mounting bolts on the steering column bracket. Don't mount it to any of the three larger steering column mounting bolts, as these are screwed into alloy breakaway capsules, which is part of the collapsiblye steering column design. You don't want to compromise them if they have to work one day :huh:

Once you do this, you'll get more accurate gauges, and you won't have the annoying LH quirks such as gauges flickering with indicators, or dropping their readings when the headlights are turned on. :clap:

#6 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

hmm that might be what is wrong with mine too.

#7 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

nothing like the torana fuel guessing game is there???

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

Actually they were before their time with a 'digital' gauge. Two states - "I have fuel", or "I don't have fuel" - just don't ask what's happening in between <_<

#9 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:26 AM

I havent played the how much fuel left game much until now, but for many years I played the wonder what speed we are doing game. Wasnt until I moved interstate that I got the speedo working :o

#10 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:05 AM

Actually they were before their time with a 'digital' gauge. Two states - "I have fuel", or "I don't have fuel" - just don't ask what's happening in between <_<

HAHAHA... and how do you tell??

The car runs.... or it doesnt :spoton:

#11 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

HAHAHA... and how do you tell??

The car runs.... or it doesnt :spoton:

Close - It's more like "Is the car making a noise, or not?" :D

#12 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

heheh :) :tease:

#13 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

thats how I used to tell when it was time to fill up with the old car, the electric fuel pump started to get noisy! no such luck at the moment, gone back to mechanical!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users