Father, Son, and Family Saloon Car

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

well the last few weeks, me, my old man, and his mate have been thinking about building a saloon car to race around barbagallo.

after watching them go round and round today as the support race for the V8 super cars we decided to give it the green light and go ahead.

well first off it started with us deciding on which model to use, it was either a VN or VT commodore or a EB or AU falcon, well off course i have a VN commodore out the back so i guess that decides it

basically a quick paint job rebuild with all the goodies... that are allowed by cams off course, a mild V6, Try and find a sponsor and off we go
most off the work will be done by my old mans mate, off course i'll be racing it :P

see how long it lasts before it ends up in a wall

anyhow this VN used to be the family shopping cart for my family its only just recently ran out (or nearly ran out of rego) its got 550,000 k on it and its an Auto

first on the list is to lighten it up ie get rid of useless stuff for the track and find a T5

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

\

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

Perfect vehicle to race without too many worries about damaging it. Good stuff

#3 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

yeah it is plenty of them around too. i already started work tonight. Cant do anything to the torry as it's nearly ready for paint so i started to gut the VN

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

Grab a rule book first
The saloon catagory is very regulated on what you can and can't use

New project means less Torana money.... so I guess you like a shed full of pulled apart unfinished cars ?
A saloon car that runs even mid field will set you back $30k+ to build from scratch

#5 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

yeah im aware there quiet regulated. i've already downloaded a rule book im not after anything fast basically your allowed to do mild work to the six run a T5 decent brakes and run a decent suspension setup

it should be pretty cheap to build it wont be much. but to mantain it, it will be alot. Not much money is going into the build coz as i said my dad's mate has most of the stuff for the saloon car as he was gonna build one himself but now he has medical problems and can't but he's happy to be part of the pit crew.

and the Torry is on the top of my list my old man and his mate can play around with it, if they want but i'm not till the torrys done

http://www.wascc.com.au/

the rules and regs are there

Edited by gen3torrie, 23 November 2009 - 01:08 PM.

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Won't you just do sprints and stuff?

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:09 AM

He would be better off doing sprints and hill climbs before jumping into any form of door to door racing.

Hey Josh, (honest question here) have you ever had any racing experience? Karts, junior sedans, speedway or anything? or are you planning to just jump in and give it a go?

From memory, the cams licence to do competitive RACING events is like 2k+ a year too.

#8 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

I would get a handle for the car first.. as has been said do sprints or hill climbs in it. Coz i can tell you getting taken out by someone who has little racing experience is not nice.. and its expensive too. Go to your local Kart track ( Not hire Karts ) and do a come and try day. Doesn't cost much and gives you a feel for a race prepared machine and make sure you go to a race round there and watch closely..

#9 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

im gonna be racing in sprints and hill climbs before i jump into the saloon category, i have had a little experience with karts.

#10 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

well, spoke to a bloke today who races in the saloon category, he does hill climbs and sprints and door to door racing. He told me to scrap my idea of building one from scratch, as it would cost $30k plus. To buy one setup is $6-$12k so, once the torana's done i'll be on the hunt for a VN saloon car. So i'll update this thread in the next year or so

#11 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

Grab a rule book first

New project means less Torana money.... so I guess you like a shed full of pulled apart unfinished cars ?
A saloon car that runs even mid field will set you back >>>>>>> $30k+ to build from scratch <<<<<<<<

#12 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Grab a rule book first

A saloon car that runs even mid field will set you back >>>>>>> $30k+ to build from scratch <<<<<<<<

Save your money for the torana you will need $30k for that alone. racing cars = lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#13 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

^^^ That is what my uncle told me.. and he races rx7's.. so i bought a GO Kart instead and had an absolute ball!! apart from breaking a rib. All up my kart and gear cost me around $4000 and it was just as quick as the front runners the only thing that held me back was experience. I do plan on getting another kart when business picks up though as doing 120kph an inch off the ground is just one big thrill!! Don't let anyone put you off, as if its what you want to do just do it but maybe aim a little lower first and try karts out. Your not to old for them... i'm 25 and shit one of the quickest blokes at my track is in his 50's!!

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hey Josh (woodsy), if you are interested in a full kart setup (trailer, tools, spares, kart, rotax- restricted engine etc) in the next 6 months, give me a hoy. The old boy is getting rid of all his stuff soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users