high pitched noise from motor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

hi all
finally got all my dash completed with gauges and monster tacho ( looks very rice )
kicked my motor over ( supercharged 253 which i last run 1 week ago and was fine) and this high piched squeal is now there when motor is running. So i turn it off, very quickly and removed the supercharger belt and the alternator/starter motor belt. Start her up and the same sound again! bguck! Is this what a dodgy crankshaft bearing should sound like? It certainly doesnt sound like metal to metal, more of a high pitched whistling sound. Ive pulled my hair out trying to work out what it is? ( i have good oil pressure ) can anyone help? what does a crankshaft ( big end ) bearing failure sound like?

cheers julian

Edited by torana, 05 April 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

last big end i did was in a v6 rodeo and it sounded like a squeaky fan belt for a few weeks and thats what i thought it was till the big end went and then it was like a very loud tapping noise....

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

timing belt chewing itself in half? Does it have a belt?

#4 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hi Torana,
Try this one,
check the hoses at the base of your carb and any other inlet manifold hoses,
I had the V8 torry engine make a nasty noise,
high pitched wistle,
hose at base of carb for dizzy advance not fitted,
noise was lots of air being sucked into the manifold,
thru a small pipe.
Really noisy.

Cheers
Chris.

#5 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:49 PM

Yep I was going to suggest a vacuum leak as well. They can make high pitched whistling noises.

#6 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

i had a high pitched squeel once. seriously do you still have points dizzy? put a little lube on the shaft where the points run.

cheers
gtr-xu1

#7 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

timing belt ( nope chain )
vaccum leak ( will have to check , car idles ok )
points in dizzy ( nope electronic ig )

thanks guys, i will be checking all this this afternoon, but after a good nights sleep i have a sneaking suspicion its the starter motor staying engaged in the flywheel and absoulutely reving its tits off. See below

Sometimes, when the internal starter mechanism that extends and retracts the starter gear from the flywheel wears out or becomes corroded, or the relay malfunctions, after the key is returned to the �run� position because the engine has started, the starter gear remains engaged in the flywheel. In this condition, the engine is turning the starter beyond its normal speed, because the car�s engine is forcibly turning it. You don�t want to drive a car with the starter gear still engaged in the flywheel. It�s not designed to turn that fast, there�s too much stress on its bearings. A non-normal sound is usually audible. If you hear this, turn off the engine immediately!

I will check all this and get back to you on how i go.

Cheers Julian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users