308 and turbo 400 into LX easy?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hello all, Merry Christmas! I am looking at acquiring an HZ 308 red motor and turbo 400 box to replace my aging 253 trimatic. Conversion wise, is it a relatively straight swap? Will the shift selector on the trimatic line up with the shifter position on the turbo 400? What additional parts do you think I would need for the install in additon to the engine and box?

Many thanks, Trent.

#2 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hello all, Merry Christmas! I am looking at acquiring an HZ 308 red motor and turbo 400 box to replace my aging 253 trimatic. Conversion wise, is it a relatively straight swap? Will the shift selector on the trimatic line up with the shifter position on the turbo 400? What additional parts do you think I would need for the install in additon to the engine and box?

Many thanks, Trent.

The motor and box will fit no probs. You will need a cross member to suit the 400 thou. There are few places that sell them. As far as the linkages go to use your existing T bar go, I'm not sure on that one. There is a good chance it being ok having come from another Holden that uses the same T bar. Other option is go the cable with a B&M style shifter. Good luck with it all.

#3 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

yep turbo are cable operated and cable is on oppsite sides to tri from memory
crossmember/ shifter/yoke on gearbox are the main differences
as you got a 253 all the rest will bolt up
but i'm not a guru on this conversion
if anyone can add i won't feel humbled lol

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

The shift lever is on the passenger side of the TH350 and TH400. The Trimatic shift lever is on the passenger side. Therefore the T-Bar from the Trimatic will not suit the TH400 without modification.

The TH400 comes with either linkage or cable shifters.

The WB Statesman had a cable shifter, the lever on the box fouls on the transmission tunnel.

The T-Bar from a HZ TH350/TH400 uses a linkage similar to the Trimatic. The HZ shifter with linkage will fit in the Torana tunnel.

The Trimatic shifter can be modified to suit the TH350.

HZ Shifter.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A TH350 would be preferable to a TH400 behind a mild 308.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 05 December 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#5 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

Maybe I should stick with the 253 and trimatic................I'll probably still buy the 308 and turbo trans as I can get it for a good price. Thanks to all that replied.

#6 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

If your trimatic is ok, why not just keep it and put the 308 in?

#7 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Just get the TH400 T-bar and shift rod from the car the 308 and TH400 came from. Straight bolt in. If not get one from a factory TH400 HQ-HZ.

I thought the TH400 fouled on the LH-UC tunnel and hence the tunnel needs some massaging??

You'll have to gat a tailshaft from a factory TH400 HQ-HZ (not tonner or factory 350) and shorthen it to suit the Torana.

Trimatic crossmember should be able to be modded to suit the TH400. Make sure you use a TH400 rear mount too, not a trimatic one.

Use a HQ-HZ TH400/TH350 speedo cable.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Tunnel is OK without mods
T400 is abit power dragging and heavier than the T350 but you won't kill it easy

I'd buy it and fit it up anyway

And if you got desperate you could get an adaptor plate to make your turbo pattern block fit the trimatic
Then you don't have to mod the shifter or tailshaft and the 308 is a straight bolt in on your mounts and with your standard accessories

Easy swap
Do it in a weekend with drinking time to spare

I like 253's though :)

#9 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

i thought early trimatics had the shifter on right hand side and later(commodore) were on the left

#10 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

T400 is abit power dragging but you won't kill it easy

Funny thing, all the cars dad and I have owned, the two that were factory 308/TH400 combos stock motors with bolt ons and both died, dads staty went in the shop three times and my stage 2 box in the premier tore the casing apart.
All the cars with trimatics, albeit 253's are still going.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

If your trimatic is ok, why not just keep it and put the 308 in?

If its a factory 253 Trimatic it will be different to a 308 one, less clutches and from memory perhaps also different shift springs

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

i thought early trimatics had the shifter on right hand side and later(commodore) were on the left

Early T-bar trimatics had a left hand shift (HT/HG) but column shift were RH shift. HQ-HZ, LH and LX were RH shift. UC and Commodore were LH shift. WB had a mix.

Terra, sounds more like early TH350 horror stories! When the HZ changed from TH400 to TH350 there were lots of failures from what blokes around at the time tell me. Apparantly it took a while for the TH350 to become reliable, much like the trimatic I suppose, which got itself a bad rep in the early days.

#13 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

If you end up buying the 308/TH400, make sure you grab the tailshaft, or at the very least, the slip yoke that goes into the TH400. They are unique to that trans & getting very hard to find, so i've been told anyhow.

cheers Matt

#14 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Cheers Matt, I'll keep that in mind I will ask him. Thankyou everyone else for your advice so far.

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Agree with Matt that you should grab the TH400 yoke, but they aren't all that hard to find plus you can buy them brand new from places like Moser. Not unique to TH400 either. Some Muncies including the one used in HQ GTS350 uses the same shaft. Plus I think trucks with 4L80E use them too.

#16 _manderin_red_slr_

_manderin_red_slr_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

they fit its just hard getting them in and out there very tight and im pretty sure you have too have a bigger tailshaft!

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yes the TH400 uses a 1.125" uni. Same as tonner and 350 powered vehicles.

#18 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

you can swap them over but don't know specifics
something to do with the rod
i wouldn't use the adaptor plates if your going to work/rev it but
seen one rip the flexplate apart at the bolts
you can get the block redrilled or i think dellow do a bellhousing swap now
which bolts up with a few mods

#19 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

you can swap them over but don't know specifics
something to do with the rod
i wouldn't use the adaptor plates if your going to work/rev it but
seen one rip the flexplate apart at the bolts
you can get the block redrilled or i think dellow do a bellhousing swap now
which bolts up with a few mods

Turbo 400 will go in .Need to use smaller modulator so that it won't foul on the body .Also need to lower cross member where the mount sits .easier to by one made .Use the trimatic shifter .You have to pull the rod out and put the rod on the other side and re install the roll pin and the Jesus clip and then you have T400 shifter .Buy a new yoke and change the seal and bush in the T400 .Make sure the yoke has spline all the way .some have a small section missing at the start .Need to put a welsh plug in the new yoke .Next is to put 9' in
Cheers

Bernie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users