#26 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Fair call LX406, kinda like the Parc Ferme of F1 etc...

Could have the 30 minute cruise at the beginning of the race day?

#27 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

there is a difference between driving on the street and racing a street car.
changing tyres,dropping pipes,changing fuel, its all part of racing a street car.
it just depends how serious you really are.

#28 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I agree with ya Jap-Xu1, but doesnt that open up a whole bag of mods that take away from the STREET idea?

The thing is.. i know alot of people who are willing to put up with alot more on the street than others.. EG: full manual automatics rather than shift kitted autos ( not that that really matters to me at the drags?? but its an example).

Thats where the differentiation comes in between STREET cars. Theyre still legal, but one is more crazy, and therefore faster than the other. its still a fair race too in my opinion cause theyre both street cars!

What becomes unfair is blown injected alcohol things with numberplates being compared to street legal cars. I think thats what this whole debate is about!

Cheers :spoton:

#29 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

My reason for raising Hayes LC-454 is that my understanding of it (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) is that it is 100% road registered (I've seen the rego sticker on the windscreen). Sure, it has huge mods, but they all must have certs for them. The criteria cannot be merely passing a roadworthy check, there has to be some sort of objective test that qualifies a car as 'street'. What most ppl are saying is obviously the cruise idea, which I think works well, perhaps a certain amount of k's have to be clocked up each year as well, to prove that it is a regular street driver.

While dropping pipes and changing rubber is changing a street car into a race car, essentially the car still remains the same and will not see unreasonable improvements from these mods. Hooking up a blue bottle on the other hand is not on.

If we were to get REALLY technical about the whole 'as on the street thing' and say you can't put ET's on because it gives more grip and the car will go faster than if it was on the street then lets talk about the tarmac. Theoretically you would have to run just on normal road then, because the extra grip afforded by a drag strip gives more than if you were on the street. There has to be some sort of line in the logic somewhere :D

Peace,

#30 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

Well first, when you say street car, we could put it into different things such as
Daily Driver, Weekender, Work car, Shed Machine... It all depends on what you want street car to mean

#31 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:44 PM

this is a stupid thread that we all have different oppionions about and i didnt want to get involved but here goes.
RUN WHAT YA BRUNG.
street car is a regestered car that you can drive on the street, I dont care if its turboed, nos or supercharged or tubbed if you drive it on the street its a streeter.

cheers
GTR-XU1

#32 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:57 PM

this is a stupid thread that we all have different oppionions about and i didnt want to get involved but here goes.
RUN WHAT YA BRUNG.
street car is a regestered car that you can drive on the street, I dont care if its turboed, nos or supercharged or tubbed if you drive it on the street its a streeter.

cheers
GTR-XU1

Actully, thats pretty well it, nicley said, I would agree on that
:rockon:

#33 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

But if you drive it on the street, and cop a defect, can you get it removed?

There are heaps of "street cars" out there with paid up rego, but if they were to cop a defect, that would be the end of the car. I know, my torana was one of these cars. I built the car to be a drag car, but kept the rego on it.

I hated driving on the street and seeing a police car, my heart would stop. So I sold the car and built a car with street no.1, strip no. 2.

#34 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

I agree with LX406 on this one and have to disagree with gtr-xu1 on the point of :" street car is a regestered car that you can drive on the street, I dont care if its turboed, nos or supercharged or tubbed if you drive it on the street its a streeter."

Nitrous is illegal for ANY street car... so it should be barred. If the car is regoed and engineered ( able to pass the road worthy) with a blower or turbos then Cool.. All for it. But its not about run what ya bring.. cause thats what theyre doing today and thats what this thread is discussing.. the disparity between street registered race cars, and true street cars.

Cheers!

#35 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

In theory, the idea of what a street car is, is very simple. But because it is open to interpretation, as well as having different rego rules from state to state, that's where it gets complicated.

#36 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

we all have our oppionions and Tiny yours differs to mine. In Qld your car would be defective due to your hornet scoop there for is your HQ a street car? As far as im conserned if you drive on the street, yes. I used to run a HX 4 door, Had very hot for its time VN headed roller camed 308 with Turbo400/ 9inch, dual 3 inch exhaust, roll cage, weld wheels with front runners. Yes my car could of been defected (luckly never did) but id drive it, cruise in it and race it and yeah I recon it was a street car.
Is my V8 capri a streeter you bet it is. complete with hornet scoop, full molly cage, and dual 3 inch exhaust etc.

Peace
:rockon:
GTR-XU1

Edited by gtr-xu1, 11 April 2006 - 09:09 PM.

#37 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

my 'old' street car had nitrous,as long as the bottle was disconnected there was never a problem with driving it around with the bottle in it. so what if all i had to do was connect it and turn the knob :spoton:

it was still more of a street style car than the others pictured above :D

bring on the flameage :finger:

#38 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

GTR-XU1: I hear ya... I belive my scoop is legal here ( yet to be tested touch wood!!) but i understand what your saying and i respect the difference of opinion!

I think the only way to have a level playing field when your racing for trophies is to have a rule that people have to stick to, and the easiest and fariest rule that i can think of is the road worthy.

Moot: Unfortuantely its no longer legal to have any NOS parts fitted ( so ive been led to belive anyway) so thats why i ruled it out completely!

Anyhow, i'm not bagging out anyone's car at all! Its all good :)

Cheers! :spoton:

#39 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

I thought it was still legal to have NOS in a street car, provided the bottle was physically disconnected from the rest of the system. If the laws have changed, so be it.

#40 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

For the people in Vic here is a pretty good guide from Vic Roads as to the RWC do's and dont's.

http://www.vicroads....dsafe/VSI 8.pdf

And according to victorian rules on roll cages, and ANDRA safety standards, if a car goes faster than 10.99 a 6 point cage is necessary, including intrusion bars. Now this becomes the grey area as intrusion bars in the correct ANDRA approved location is illegal in Vic.
http://www.vicroads....safe/VSI 28.pdf

#41 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

The nitrous legality question is answered here:
http://www.vicroads....safe/VSI 26.pdf

It only says "Nitrous oxide systems are not acceptable on motor vehicles used on the roads"

Take that any way you like. I take it as you cannot have a gas kit fitted to your car at all.

#42 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:50 PM

from the oznos website:

Is it legal?

In Queensland and Western Australia it is illegal to fit a Nitrous
Kit to a registered street vehicle, we are still negiotiating with these
states. In all the other states the law states:
"a road registered vehicle fitted with nitrous oxide must have the
system modified so that the bottle is properly secured in the brackets
provided and isolated from the engine (disconnect the main braided line
from the bottle), and the supply line to the engine is physically blocked
off with an approved A-1 Performance disarming kit (a disarming kit is
included in every OZNOS Kit, so that the joiner tubes from the solenoids to
the injection point may be removed) whilst the vehicle is being street
driven."

i've been pulled over a 'few' times and never had a problem,once was right outside wsid :fool:

#43 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

My car passes about 6 of the points, it's legaly registered with a big block and chassis conversion and I drive it quite a bit but is it a good street car? Its loud, cranky draws attention from everyone and not practicle. If I did it over again I would probably go late model injected with a computer. But the cars still fun and I still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. Streetable to me means you must be able to go cruising with it and get away with out the police hasseling you to much.

#44 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

If you want my opinion, here it is, but it applies to general of-street, street car racing that doesn't involve the larger more official events with awards and trophies etc.

Most legally registered streeters that are raced on the strip usually push the boundaries of what is and what isn't acceptable as a street car. If they didn't then it would all be pretty boring. It's all very opinionated as to what's fair and what isn't.
But on the strip the solution would be simple and would require 3 things:
1. A set of rules.
2. A scrutineer test on the track.
3. And common sense.

Just to elobarate:
1. A set of rules does NOT mean all of the little technical ones used to get a RWC. It also does NOT mean you have to supply a RWC to race, it also does NOT mean that the car is 'unbookable' as in my opinion, most cars on the road can be canaried (how many cars have you been in that a cop couldn't say that the hand brake needs adjustment, the seat is loose and there's play in the steering?). The set of rules in point 1 would be reasonable ones that are put together by the general group racing and the track owners.
2. The person checking the car is an independant, most likely one of the people that work at the track, and uses the rules in point 1 as a guideline, unbiased and with the common sense mentioned in point 3.
3. Common sense is knowing what is extreme and what is acceptable and reasonably fair, this means that using a 9"inch diff without an engineers certificate would NOT be ruled out as the only advantage is really in its strength and not necassarily in speed. using a Holley instead of a Quaddy would NOT be ruled out, everyone does it, but are they supposed to?. Using a Hornet scoop or air horns, which wouldn't get you a RWC in some places would NOT be ruled out as well. However, using NOS, full slicks, dumped pipes and taking panels and/or the bonnet off the car would be considered extreme and thus ARE ruled out.

The basic idea is that you would race a registered car in the same way as you would/could have done on the street. There should be no differences except for the 'ideal' track conditions and the fact that it's only legal to do so on the track.

Another point I want to make while this debate developes is that street racing is not drag racing, it's traffic dodging and people get hurt/killed. We want to encourage these fellas to come and race properly at the track instead of the street and not discourage them with stuff about RWC's and being unbookable etc when most of them have modified cars.

#45 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

When i finish building my torry, it will be registered but wont have a engineers certificate and will have a 308, turbo 350 and a 9in.
fully streetable but if i have hassles with the cops, they might want me to get a roadworthy and it might not pass without an engineers certificate.
(im getting it registered very soon in its stock 253, m20 and banjo form.)

#46 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

The recent easternats had the street drags. I love this event because the cars have to race on a piece of road similar to an average street, then drive all the way around the track back to the start line. This sorts out the reliable streeters.

BUT..................The final consisted of two cars that are basically drag cars. It was between Mick Voase in the white hatch, and GASDUP purple cortina. The cortina has a 3/4 chassis and huge rear tyres. The torana is mini tubbed at the most. I stuck my head under and its pretty much stock.

The owner of GASDUP was interviewed before the final and he said the motor was a solid cammed pump fuel motor. I can believe this. But I reckon it still isn't a worthy car to be called a street car due to the rear end.

The hatch however is a street car with a race engine in it. No tubs, but a radical big block that runs on race fuel, and N2O on a good day.

I believe the street drags at easternats is the closest thing we get to a real street car shootout. They should tighten the rules to include steel belted radial tyres only with a maximum width of 10 1/2".

My 2 cents worth.

#47 _Torana/Fan_

_Torana/Fan_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Any car that can be taken out on the street thet doesnt overheat has lights and turn signals to me is a street car because if the rta let us get away with tubbs and crazy bar work im sure more cars would be running that gear.

Just look at the usa almost all cars have tubbs and bar work.

Just the way i feel.

Though one car that comes to mind as what would have to be one of the worlds best "street cars" would be a freinds 240z thats running a mean little chev and now auto ,but the car just loves to be driven and anyone that has ever taken it for a spin will not want to get out of, its also putts around like a stock car yet if you jump on it in top gear it will smoke the tyres and it should as it has over 500hp and almost the same in ft-lbs. It gets alot of k's put on it and is yet to see the strip as he is more then happy to play on the street.

Oh well all come down to each to there own.

#48 _dannylxss_

_dannylxss_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

is it a red converble in melb

#49 _Torana/Fan_

_Torana/Fan_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

Its red but not soft top (dont think they came it either but may be wrong) and its a sydney car.

#50 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

Ahh the car ive seen is an absolute Killer! Id class is as a street car ( havent looked closely at it though!).

Apparently its treet drivable as easily as my monaro is, and has heaps of grunt under the hood!!

Street car Yep!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users