Got the 253 dyno tuned today, what a difference!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

Got the HQ back from getting dynotuned today (night really, he didnt finish till 8pm tonight). He re-set the spring in the dissy so its now advancing properly, cleaned and gapped everything then setup the carby before having ago on the dyno where he removed all the hesitations etc that it had. It sounds so much nicer, idles smoother and quieter and cruses with ALOT less effort and the best thing of all is it really gets up and boogies now. Really hammers for a fairly stock 253, it has a 4brl rochester, stockish cam (runs outta puff at 4500rpm) extractors and a twin 2" exhaust. Best money i've spent so far, netted the greatest gains of anything i've done. The poor 3sp manual is letting it down, but coloum shift is fun hahaha :D.
Should keep me in trouble until i go chasing more power or slot the chev in :rockon: :rockon:.

Damien

Edited by jabba, 06 April 2006 - 10:48 PM.

#2 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

sounds like it was a good move then! do u mind me asking how much the dyno tuning cost all up? its something i've been thinking about and judging by your reaction its definately a good idea!

#3 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:09 PM

$200 all up, 3 hours work + a few bits and peices, fair amount but for the increase it was worth every cent :).

Edited by jabba, 06 April 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#4 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

Sounds great man. Something i'd do after I get some carbies and other mods installed. My mechanic is an expert with holden 6's so my engine runs real smooth already.

#5 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

I had my carby rebuilt but it only had std settings when i installed it, i dont know if others would get the same increase as i did because she was running a little on the sad side of things. I already wanna change cam to get her revving a little harder, but i probably wont because if it aint broke maybe i shouldnt fiddle hehe.

#6 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:51 PM

Great stuff jabba, I know exactly what you mean. I took my hatchback (253 powered) to the dyno guy and it was running pretty crook. Less than 2 hours later it was running like a brand new car. Drives twice as nice now, feels better, smoother, and much stronger. He had the carby apart, changed jet sizes (it had been running lean), set the timing spot-on etc etc. Best money you can ever spend in my opinion. Makes all the difference.

Did you actually get any power readings from having it on the dyno?

Mine is a totally stock 253, stock everything, right down to the 2 barrel WW stromberg carby. Stock exhaust, the lot. It initally made around 70 kw at the wheels, and after the tune it made 85 or 88 kw from memory (can't remember which). He said that was actually pretty impressive power from a stocky.

All I'm gonna do is ditch the 2 barrel and put on a quaddy, and replace the points dizzy with an electronic. Will be interestig to see what difference that makes....

#7 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:09 AM

Nah no power readings, his dyno is oldschool with analoge gauges... no computer stuff so no real usable hp readout (it has the guage but he said its terrably inaccurate with the settings he was using, it read 280bhp hahahaha), it now drives exactly how you described it :spoton:.

When i was mucking around with different carbys just after the engine was built i found that the 2brl carby gave heeps of down low torque but it really lacked anything up top, switched to the 4brl carby and it lost down low power (which is back now thanks to the tune) and gained heeps of top end power and increased the top speed a fair amount too. Id be interested in some real dyno readouts but i dont know of anyone in Dubbo that has a good dyno that could do printouts.

Edited by jabba, 07 April 2006 - 12:11 AM.

#8 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

Bring the car over to Bodangora(Wellington) on Easter Sunday to the 1/8 th mile drags for some real "Dyno" results

#9 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

hahaha, id be to shamed to go do it, it still wouldnt make that much power haha. :ph34r:. How much does it cost for a run on the dyno?

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

Isn't 85kw atw pretty good for a std 253? When my brother had his 253 sle I never got the chance to play with,it sounded really sweet but it drank the most petrol out of all our cars & was one of the slowest but was funny doing wheelies in it in the rain with 2.60 gears in the diff.

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hey Brett, (LXCHEV)

I want to get my carb Dyno'd now seeing i got all my proper carby and stuff on there... Where is the place u get urs done and how much will it set me back?

I also really want to see wat power the 290 has!

#12 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Bring the car over to Bodangora(Wellington) on Easter Sunday to the 1/8 th mile drags for some real "Dyno" results.

Are you going to stir up the Toyotas' Warren?

I don't think I will make it to Bodangra, I may go down to Naranderra Drags for a look though.

Bones

#13 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

Yes I'll try and stir up a few. I'm part the way to being called a Toyota now that I have a Toyota box & diff. I'll need a bit of a stir up before I race the following Sunday at the Nostalgia meet at the WSID. You should take the tory to Naranderra & give it a run after getting to the finals at the Summer nationals.
Warrenm

#14 _bones_

_bones_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

The old girl did well at the Summernationals. There was only a few hundreths of a second in the final. Its best for the weekend was 11.05 at 120 mph.

#15 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:05 AM

253ToranaSS - email sent dude.

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

Hey Warren, If your going to be at the nostalgias, Make sure you tap me on the shoulder if you see me.

Look for the big bastard bludging around Cliff's Back-in-Tine FED.

Cheers!

#17 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:47 AM

Great thread! I'm gonna repeat every work LXCHEV said - the best money you could ever spend eh! I had my 179HP dyno tuned and had 3 power runs after... It has a 350 Holley and had a baaaaaad flat spot about mid throttle, its now smooth as a baby's bottom! I couldnt be happier!

LXCHEV - stock 253 making only that much power?? I would have thought it would be around the 100kW at the treads at least! My 179HP is putting out 101.3rwkW, and i thought i was waaaay off par for the V8 boys, maybe its more power than i originally thought!

Great discussion anyways - keep it goin guys!!

Keith

#18 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Keithy - 101kW at the treads from a 179 is very decent grunt mate! That's around 135HP you're putting down. My old heavily worked 202 with all the work and triple SU's still only made 100 rwkW, and that thing flew.

Obviously, different dyno's vary a little bit - but they still give a fairly good ballpark reading. So yeah, I think you're 179 is making some great power.

My dyno guy said stock 253's generally make anywhere from 60 to 90 rwkW, depending on condition etc. He said most he sees are around the 70 rwkW mark. My 253 is dead-stock, however it had apparently been fully rebuilt and freshened up only a few years ago, so I'm rapt with how it goes. Can't wait to get the Quaddy and elec dizzy on, and then play with the exhaust system (leaving the standard exhaust manifolds). I reckon I can get it up close to 100kw just with those mods.

#19 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:39 AM

That would be good to see! Are you going to upgrade the cam at all? A lot of people dont like the 253's... "CUBES" they say... But i rekon that a nice cam, lightened flywheel and some roller rockers, matched with a decent carby and electronic dizzy would make a nice 253 even better!

For the simple fact that i love 253's, i would really like to hear how it goes when you chuck your quaddie on, etc... Prior to purchase of the 179, i was going to work up a 253, but i didnt want to have to bother with the compliance plate or other upgrades involved in the conversion for the UC!! Although im not regretting buying the 179, one wonders how much power i would have got having spent the money i did on the 179, on a 253 (>$4000)...

Keith

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, i thought my old 253 went pretty good, i had a Crow Cam, Quaddy, Elec Dizz, Dual Exhaust (standard headers)... It went pretty good for what it was But this new motor i got does have a lot more power, hopefully i can get some extractors soon to breath more power to it!

#21 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

Whats your new motor 253ToranaSS??

#22 _Boostd_

_Boostd_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

My 253 has made 132rwkw (171rwhp), mods are Fully balance bottom end, ACL Dura lite pistons, 0.060� over bore, . Crane blue racer cam CD224-24, Rollmaster duel row timing chain,
Pocket port & match ported heads, 1.84� inl 1.53� exh valves, hardened
Seats, Crow 7/16 screw in studs & guide plates, Yella Terra roller
rockers, Performance springs, Hardened push rods, Brock manifold,
Modified quadrajet carby
It goes really well and revs hard while still making power

#23 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

Nicely done man!! What car you got it in?

#24 _Boostd_

_Boostd_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

Its im my vb commodore (my toy while i'm building up the LJ) With any luck i'll get to run it a calder on saturday night if the weather is good.

#25 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:42 AM

Whats your new motor 253ToranaSS??

My new motor is a Stroked 253 out to a 290, elec dizzy, Torker Manifold, Balanced and blueprinted. Stock Headers and dual exhaust. I think std Heads as well. So i think some L34 heads and some Extractors would do it hte world of good and give it a shitload more power!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users