Cotter pin removal

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _steve253_

_steve253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Gday all ,Im in the process of replacing the front end in my LH but Im stuck at the moment. I cant remove the cotter pins out of the steering shaft. The engines still in the car and its a V8, so there is no room in the engine bay to get at it.Wheels and brakes have been removed from the front. Any tips would be very helpful. Cheers Steve.

#2 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Jack the car up...remove the wheel....give them a squirt of WD....wait a while for it to soak in...turn the steering wheel around until you can get a good position....have a trusty assistant hold a hammer on the inside of the knuckle...grab a long drift.... 1 good hit should do the trick.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

I used to use G clamps and sockets with a good whack from a hammer as posted on here by someone... until I broke all my G clamps doing this. I made a plate with a hole in it to suit the pitman arm puller I have and it works beautifully, just squeezes in there

Posted Image

#4 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

I purchased one of these a while back. Works well.

Attached File  Press.jpg   17.99K   37 downloads

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 24 December 2009 - 04:07 PM.

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I considered buying one of the Bikesmith cotter pin presses above but from the dimensions I was given I did not think it would fit.

#6 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

just smash it i tryed to be gentle but spending 3 hours taking it out isnt fun

#7 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

Im taking that u got it out Josh.

91107960 is the part number from Holden.

Ask if they come with nuts. If not, 14NFNNYTPN is the part number for the nylock nuts from any Auto 1.

Have fun.

#8 _steve253_

_steve253_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Gday all, got the cotter pin out without to much drama. I just gave the very top one a god squirt with WD40 and left it overnight, then I put a G-clamp on it with a socket behind the cotter pin,tighten up the clamp and gave the clamp a tap with a hammer and it came loose straight away.I then replaced the whole K frame with a rebuilt one and had a wheel alignment done. This has made a huge difference to the handling.Thanks for the tips. Cheers Steve.

#9 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

I am having a bugger of a time with the cotter pins.
Followed directions in this and other threads about ideas with clamps and sockets/nuts but the thing won't budge!
Too scared to take a hammer to the thing following posts and the GMH manual about damage to the collapsible column and bearings but I think it is coming to that.

antelopeslr5000 I've sent you a PM about the bikesmithdesign press you showed in your post and it may come to that unless I can find something similar in Australia.

Anyone else had a particularly difficult experience that can lend some advice of their win against the cotter pin?

Cheers, TB

#10 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:13 AM

I couldn't get mine out last weekend after about an hour of clamping/tapping/yelling/swearing. In a fit of rage, I smashed them out violently with the hammer.....

I don't know if I damaged anything in the steering column yet though.

#11 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

Support it from behind so no weight is borne by the column bearing and tap it out with a small hammer. I have found a small jack handle can be wedged up in the crossmember and take the weight of the shaft (the cotter pin fits inside the tube).

Hope this makes sense, if not I can take a pic.

#12 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

I've heard to unscrew the nut till it's flush with the top of the pin, then when you hit it with a hammer you're hitting a much larger surface area.

s

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

I've heard to unscrew the nut till it's flush with the top of the pin, then when you hit it with a hammer you're hitting a much larger surface area.

s

If the nut is still a nyloc, that method will destroy the nut.

#14 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

I took my steering column out last year for the first time in 8 years and the pins were incredibly tight. There was no way they were moving without the proper clamp.

I have very little access around my pipes so there is no way a clamp like that bikesmith one above would fit - only something along the lines of the original Holden one would have worked on mine. I made my own - I'll post some pics when i get home tonight. It is very simple and along the lines of the original holden one, only difference is I welded it up from Mild steel.

I didn't know if it would bend being made of steel but it didn't, it worked superbly.

I have found it very difficult in the past to remove tight pins without damaging the pin but using the clamp does the job nicely. those pins are pretty exxy to replace for what they are too - especially if you need 4 of them.

I am sure I took a scan of the scketch I drew up with dimensions too so I'll see if I can dig that up too.

Matt

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Sounds like I got lucky with mine... Mine came out relatively easy with a slight tap of the hammer, with some support from the back... I also soaked it in WD40 overnight

#16 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

Here is my device. Made from 32 x 8 mm mild steel.

Posted Image

I tried cold bending it at first - got to about 60 degrees and then snapped my crud cast chinese vice in half :P:-) should have used the Oxy.

Went and bought 2 dawn SG vices to replace them.

Decided to cut and weld and see how it went.

I have the rough sketch of it I did here - for some reason it is a .pdf not jpg so cardomain won't let me upload it.

I used a 3/8 UNF high tensile bolt in it. Makes it easier to turn with the fine thread.

If you have an e-mail address, I can send the .pdf - I can't remember which program I used to use to convert pdf's to jpg's.

#17 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Very kind of you all.

It sounds like some persistence and perhaps a degree ingenuity pays off (I am fast running our of the former and never had much of the later).
A fellow member has kindly waded in and has posted me his cotter pin press to loan - just amazed (in a good way) at the trust and assistance provided to me - especially since I am a total stranger to him.

Toranamat69: The press being loaned to me looks very much like your home made version.
I am really concious of not damaging the press when it arrives by asking too much of it, and so if you could send me your drawing I'd appreciate it as a back-up plan - Email: [email protected]

Again, thanks to everyone and cheers, TB

#18 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

How good is that bikesmithdesign cotter pin press!
Thank you to the forum member who loaned it - much appreciated. It will be in the mail and on it's way back to you by the end of the week.
I had the previously immovable pins out in seconds and they required but nine-tenths of bugger-all effort to push the pins through.
The press fits perfectly around any and all of the cotter pins on the steering shaft - I recommend it to anyone having troubles like mine.
Go here for any and all detail: Bike Smith Design - Cotter Pin Press
Having said that, I am absolutely sure a home made press of the type shown by toranamat69 would work just as well - the design and principal is the same for both.
Again thanks to all and cheers, Craig

#19 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I wonder if the cheap pins mentioned on that page are available in a suitable size for Torana steering joints?

#20 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

I reckon if you e-mailed the maker of bikesmithdesign cotter pin presses - Mark Stonich I think his name was - and maybe sent him specs or even a real one in the post he'd let you know for sure.
He seemed like a really genuine and knock-about guy in my correspondence with him - he even offered to contact someone in my town to whom he'd sold a press to see if I could loan it. In any case I'd be pretty confident he'd do what he could to accommodate any enquiry about his cotter pins and their suitability (or not) for our steering linkages.

Cheers, TB.

Edited by Tyre biter, 31 March 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#21 _markymark20_

_markymark20_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hello all, have been reading with much interest! I have a similar problem, but different( same area I suppose). After lifting my LX of the engine and suspension to fix a leaking rear crank seal, I have reassembled everything to find that my cotter pin won't line up with the bevel in the shaft, it seems that the shaft isn't long enough. I have checked that suspension is all back in the same position it was before the removal but still seems about 4-5mm short. Can anyone shed any light on the area. Have tried to remove or loosen the cotter pins on the lower shaft to maybe get a little more length but I haven't been able to get them loose.
Cheers Markymark.

#22 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

There is adjustment on the steering column.
I would check there first. It might lower the column enought to get the cotter pin in.

#23 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

The shaft in the steering column is collapsible. There are some very weak plastic pins that hold the shaft at the correct length during assembly. It is very easy to shear the pins and alter the length of the shaft.

You could try measuring the from the bearing to the tip of the shaft and getting someone to compare with their column. If the shaft has been pushed back into the column then you will be able to wiggle it back out to the correct length.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 23 June 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#24 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

At a guess i would say youve sheared the cast in lugs off that are in the top of the "coffee pot" . These lugs retain the upper bearing in its seat, when these shear off the whole steering shaft can slide up towards the driver , perhaps indicated by a gap appearing between the steering wheel and the housing (coffee pot). This may cause the shaft to be a bit short at the bottom.
If as others have said, the plastic lugs have broken, replace the whole steering shaft, it is dangerous and shouldnt be used.

#25 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

If as others have said, the plastic lugs have broken, replace the whole steering shaft, it is dangerous and shouldnt be used.

The plastics lugs are not important. They are only there to hold the shaft at the correct length during assembly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users