Cotter pin removal

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

If as others have said, the plastic lugs have broken, replace the whole steering shaft, it is dangerous and shouldnt be used.

The plastics lugs are not important. They are only there to hold the shaft at the correct length during assembly.

They are important. If they are broken it means the shaft has suffered an impact. The shaft is two piece to allow it to collapse in an impact and not spear the driver. If the shaft has suffered an impact then the likelyhood is that the perforated steering casing will have also collapsed.

#27 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

The holes in the outer shaft are used to inject a plastic which fills a recess ground into the inner shaft then out the other hole. The purpose of the plastic is to stop the shaft vibrating inside the outer shaft and hold the shaft at the correct length for assembly.

The pins can easily be broken during assembly. The only benefit of a shaft with the pins intact is that it is probably the correct length however the pins could actually be sheared but still stuck in the outer shaft so it is worth checking the length of the shaft anyhow.

If the pins are sheared off then the shaft can still be safely used and the plastic inside the shaft will still stop vibration. Once assembled the the shaft is held at the top by a c-clip and at the bottom by the steering uni.

In MarkyMark20's case the shaft was probably bumped when the engine and suspension was removed or installed.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 June 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#28 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

What part of the colum are you pair talking about? Ive just pulled mine out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

The "pins" people talk about are in the 1-2 mm hole at the bottom of this photo. If you clean it up you will either find plastic in the hole or an empty hole if the "pin" has fallen out. It is obvious from the photo that the inner shaft moved at some point which would cause the "pins" to shear. Once the shaft is slid back to the correct length it will be ok.

Posted Image

The outer tube should be inspected for signs of impact. It is also reasonably common to find the tube has fatigued and cracked near where the coffee pot is attached. It would be worth measuring the overall length of the tube to compare with others. There is usually a plastic cover over the mesh section of the tube.

Posted Image

#30 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

The outer tube should be inspected for signs of impact. ... It would be worth measuring the overall length of the tube to compare with others.

Also lesser impacts (i.e. not immediately obvious) often bend the tube as the perforated section only collapses a bit on one side, a good way to check for damage is simply to check for straightness

#31 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

The "pins" people talk about are in the 1-2 mm hole at the bottom of this photo. If you clean it up you will either find plastic in the hole or an empty hole if the "pin" has fallen out. It is obvious from the photo that the inner shaft moved at some point which would cause the "pins" to shear. Once the shaft is slid back to the correct length it will be ok.

Posted Image

That may have been my fault that it moved when I was trying to remove the colum? It looks like the inner has been pulled outwards? I was pulling on the inner shaft to try and remove it from the flex joint once the cotter pin was removed. I had all other colum mount bolts removed also.

#32 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

Edited by hanra, 28 June 2011 - 07:47 AM.

#33 _markymark20_

_markymark20_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

have checked the shaft and can not move it in or out. I tried to get the next cotter pin out to get some more length, but to no avail, most of my tools are in storage( don't even have a gclamp handy). But good news is I managed to get a screwdriver behind the flex joint and levered enough length to get the cotter pin back. Next time I have it all out I will release all the cotter pins and make sure it's loose before it gets put back together. Thanks for your help!!!:party:

#34 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

I considered buying one of the Bikesmith cotter pin presses above but from the dimensions I was given I did not think it would fit.

For the record in case someone else is thinking about buying one, it fits perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users