#26 J-Rod

J-Rod

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

but it sounds pretty good, :rockon:  :rockon:

ive gotta agree with that Ultra. It grabbed my attention from 150 meteres away when you entered the carpark at the American motoring show earlier this year.... sounded awesome!

#27 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

I guess if you can afford an A9X then the odd fine and hassle over noise pollution and rego inspections to change things back to normal and then wild again is not a problem :) says me who is cash strapped lol

Good luck guys

Cheers
Herne

#28 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

but it sounds pretty good, :rockon: :rockon:

Your Wrong glenn.... it sounds EFFIN GREAT! :clap:

But i did notice you had the exact distance marked for where your able to coast home and into the driveway ;)

heheh :spoton: :spoton:

#29 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

She's booked in Thursday for some tinkering with the exhaust. Can somebody confirm for me that the original SLR5000/A9X tailpipes were 1-7/8" OD straight cut with no chrome tips? l am not sure l will go back to original, l will change the muffs first and see what sort of note before l go the next step.

Cheers Simon

PS Glenn, she's loud as it is,, cant imagine what that beast of yours must sound like :rolleyes:

#30 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

Mondie your avatar makes me flip :P
Fakes blurry vision with my left eye, and my lazy right eye it corrects it and makes it look normal. :tease:

Also:

Oh almost forgot - is dumped before the diff - illegal - yes.

I wanted to mention, I love how it's illegal to dump exhausts before windows/openings etc due to exhaust gases, yet it's perfectly ok for some utes to have exhausts that point directly sideways, oh I don't know, say directly at passing car windows T.T
Even worse when you're sitting at the lights with it pointed straight at you and it's an untuned POS.

#31 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Oh almost forgot - is dumped before the diff - illegal - yes.

I wanted to mention, I love how it's illegal to dump exhausts before windows/openings etc due to exhaust gases, yet it's perfectly ok for some utes to have exhausts that point directly sideways, oh I don't know, say directly at passing car windows T.T
Even worse when you're sitting at the lights with it pointed straight at you and it's an untuned POS.

Loki,

I know what you mean my old man drives a 1978 G60 Patrol and the pipe comes out under the drives door standard.

#32 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

Mondie your avatar makes me flip :P
Fakes blurry vision with my left eye, and my lazy right eye it corrects it and makes it look normal. :tease:

Come on mate, you love her! She's so tasty you find yourself continually trying to focus on her but cant! :D

#33 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

Loki: the rule in NSW is that it must exit the vehicle ( Not dump beneath the vehicle), 8" past the last openeing window. Also in NSW the exhaust must not exit on the passenger side of the vehicle ( to stop any pedestrian's getting burnt... Diddums i say!.....)

There is also another obscure law here that i got booked under back in 1999 when i bought my car... The exhausts must not exit facing the ground. This law was brought in in 1917 ( from memory) so as "not to scare the horses". I kid you not.. This is what i got booked under when i had twin 3" pipes dumped at the diff on the monaro ( Oh the sound!!)

Hopefully these may have changed... but i dont think so!
Cheers!

#34 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

*BUMP*

Can somebody confirm for me that the original SLR5000/A9X tailpipes were 1-7/8" OD straight cut with no chrome tips?

#35 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

Loki: the rule in NSW is that it must exit the vehicle ( Not dump beneath the vehicle), 8" past the last openeing window. Also in NSW the exhaust must not exit on the passenger side of the vehicle ( to stop any pedestrian's getting burnt... Diddums i say!.....)

There is also another obscure law here that i got booked under back in 1999 when i bought my car... The exhausts must not exit facing the ground. This law was brought in in 1917 ( from memory) so as "not to scare the horses". I kid you not.. This is what i got booked under when i had twin 3" pipes dumped at the diff on the monaro ( Oh the sound!!)

Hopefully these may have changed... but i dont think so!
Cheers!

Mate, my point wasn't that it's ilelgal to be dumped/at the diff.
I'm saying it's @#$%ing stupid that exhausts can't be side exited for exhaust emission reasons entering the cabin, yet it seems to be okay for factory utes [metal tray backs, not new holden/ford utes] to have exhausts that point sideways, directly at my fkn window.
It exited and turned sharply behind the rear wheel and pointed directly sideways (I assume so as not to get in the way when loading the tray etc.)

But I kid you not, this factory exhaust would have been putting more exhaust into my cabin than directly into the atmospher, it was horrible.
Especially when it took off with a puff of smoke, although i'm sure it looked pretty funny, it didn't feel it :/

Edited by Loki, 12 April 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#36 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Thats cool loki, I didnt say that you said it was legal to be dumped... What i said was.. them's the rules.. and those cars follow those rules!

I think its stupid for the same reason you mentioned.. not only do i get gassed by those POS vehicles, but busses and other vehicles too!

Cheers

#37 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

She's all sorted, a pair of 2-1/4" large bodied tri flow Redback mufflers are in and the exhaust note is now deep, sweet and not too loud. No need for a change of tailpipes, the muffs have cured my pox note. :spoton:

Cheers

#38 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

Niiice :) glad to hear its solved!

Can i ask one thing... Have you noticed any difference in the performance of the car??

Cheers!

#39 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Tiny, hard to say as l only drove it a few kms to home. Given that the car has standard headers and is fitted with largish mufflers with 2-1/4" pipes l doubt l have introduced too much of a restriction. It sure sounds 10x better.

#40 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:13 AM

lx chev its your mufflers, mine does the same crap sound, its the expasion chambers.go for some lukey race or edelbrock rpms i garrantee youll love the sound,smooth and screamy no bark at all,one of my mates runs try y and one runs 4into1s both sound tuff same sound.

#41 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Mondie: Thats cool mate :) to be honest.. sound is often more important than the extra .5Hp you might gain from a different exhaust ;)

Cheers :spoton:

#42 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

Just finished the exhaust on my torana with twin 2.5" on pretty much stock LS1, 2 mufflers (1 per side) and 2 small body cats, no resonators nothing.

The mufflers are borla's and there is no drone or farting, puffing sound.

Its the quality of the mufflers, if you put cheap mufflers on a large system, you get the clapped out 253 I tonner sound.

#43 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

Mondie - glad to hear you've sorted it all out and are happy with the new system! Great stuff.

1QUICK LJ - Thanks for the PM with the info mate! Great to hear from someone else with the same kind of muffler as mine complaining about the same crap sound! They sound hot at idle, but as soon as get into the revs is when they sound crap. Must be just a characteristic of the expansion chamber design I reckon. I will definitely be looking into these other mufflers you've suggested.

LS1LX - sounds like wise words indeed regarding cheap mufflers producing a cheap sound! You guys have talked me into changing mufflers 100%! Can't wait.

#44 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

1QUICK LJ - Thanks for the PM with the info mate! Great to hear from someone else with the same kind of muffler as mine complaining about the same crap sound! They sound hot at idle, but as soon as get into the revs is when they sound crap. Must be just a characteristic of the expansion chamber design I reckon. I will definitely be looking into these other mufflers you've suggested.

My dad has same thing in his HG, cheap as Mercury mufflers or some other cheap super Turbo muffler. Tuff at idle, on the gas and its embarrassing the sound.

I like the Edelbrock RPM mufflers, the Borla PRO XS, Dynamax and Magnaflows. All USA brands.
Lukey are good as well for Aussie mufflers.

#45 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Let me know how you go LXCHEV. If it does make that much of a difference to sound then I might consider doing mine as well :rolleyes: . We need to get the two cars together to do a comparision of the sounds, and then see how diff it is when you change.

Are you going to get Les to do the swap?

Cheers,

#46 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

Only markings I could find on my mufflers was SUPEA-CAT Australia. What the hell are they, as I've never heard of them before?

#47 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

Liam,

Thats the same brand of muffler l put on my car a couple of weeks back. What size rear pipes are you running?

Cheers

#48 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hey Mondie, my pipes are 2 1/2 inch. How have you found them to be?

Peace,

#49 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Mine are the same, l am still toying with going smaller. Was thinking 2", l was hoping that your were smaller as others seem to like the sound of your system. It sounds pretty good, l may just stick with what l have.

Cheers Simon

Edited by Mondie, 26 April 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#50 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

I had a look under my car. Guess what guys, mine are these Super Cat's too.

Mondie - so you upgraded from the Super Cats to the Redbacks correct?

Liam - yeah I think I'll probably get Les to do the swap for me, I'll price around a little bit first though. Still going to be a month or two from happening though. Not sure which mufflers I will be changing to just yet - will be investigating everyone's suggestions... if Aussie ones are a fair bit cheaper, I may settle on either Lukey's or Redbacks I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users