NSW IPRA Round 2 Eastern Creek

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

I should be there for this event, so if you are there come and say hello. :spoton:
Entrants for the event to follow.

Someone mentioned that my engine seemed to be breathing heavy on high G corners, well what it turned out to be was the rear axle seals slightly leaking onto the rear disc rotors, which caused the braking issues that I had. So there ya go. The exhaust exits just before my rear tyres so it would have looked like it was coming from my exhaust. Or I could brag and say that its wheel spin :spoton:

Here is a photo... (photo credit to Shane Young IPRA Forum)
Posted Image

And for those that are interested here is a link to all the other cars for the weekend... dial up warning.. lots of photos...
http://p210.ezboard....start=1&stop=10

Edited by Tiny, 10 April 2006 - 09:58 PM.

#2 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Looking good Pete,

Saw that pic earlier, didnt think it was coming from the exhust..... An axle seal should be alot less stressfull to fix too :)

She looks to be sitting pretty flat going through that corner, so I'd say you have your spring rates etc in the ballpark. Just curious, are you running a rear bar on it at the moment?

cheers,

Sam

#3 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

Yes... if you give me 2 shakes I will measure it for you... and give you details of springs etc also. I also had a coment at the track that it sits flat so yep it is pretty good atm.

Edited by LXChev366, 08 April 2006 - 10:38 AM.

#4 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

Front Bar Whiteline (Front Mounted) 28mm
Rear Bar ? 22mm
Front Springs 19mm wire 3.5in ID 7 active coils 950lb/in @ 10.0 Inch
Rear Springs 262 lb @ 10.0 inch.
No I dont care if I share this info... I am not gunning for the national title... this set up could be all wrong for all I know ????? I only have the set on the car so I cant compare.

#5 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

Thanks heaps for the info!

I've got to check my springs front and rear as I'm still running what the car came with. I'd say the front springs are prettty close to yours but i reckon my rears are softer.

I also run a front mount bar, but mine's a k-mac I think its a 26mm but im not 100% sure. At the moment I'm not running a rear bar, but I have a K-mac to go on there. I've got Koni adjustables on the front and monroe gas shocks on the rear (still to be upgraded).

With the rear bar off its really putting the power down well and is very predictable coming out of corners BUT it dosnt turn in as well as Id like and does push a fair bit through turn two (long left hander). I might wack it on the next time im out there and just see how it feels. Tyre pressure will also play a big part in how it feels, and thats something else i will be experimenting with.

Havnt got a record of the latest spec on wheel alignment but I know its running about -4 camber. Next time I do it I'll make sure to write it down, plus I need to properly check springs etc so I can have a baseline spec to start from..... That way I can make small changes and know where I've been and where im goin!

I'd be more than happy to share info with you, maybe between us we can make up a little ground on the rice burners!!...hehe

cheers,

Sam

#6 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

I've got Koni adjustables on the front and monroe gas shocks on the rear

Ditto.... so what were you thinking of upgrading to?

Yep we can surely help each other to catch the pesky chook cookers....

I have been to the SA track, so I know what corners you are talking about (spectator).
My handling is ok...typically slight under on the way in and have to carefully limit over on the way out :rolleyes: I am still a little hesitant giving it a big bootfull on the way out... actually I think if I soughta flick it in, it might come out better.... we will see. Lucky I know each NSW track (enough) to not have to worry about learning them with the Torrie.

#7 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

Sorry folks.... dates are sat/sun 29/30 Apr not 25/26 :<_<: Doh!

#8 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

LX Chev 366...
Sorry for the slow reply...
That's the smoke I saw...Good to see it was only an axle seal... Bit cheaper than Oiling issues!
My own issues!
Was supposed to give my Walky it's first run at this event , but lot's of small things will prevent this from happening... :<_<:
So looks like round 3 for me, in what will be a "learning year"
Will be at the track that weekend and in the pit somewhere so I will make sure I introduce myself... and have a bit of a close up of your LX as well!
See ya at EC on the 29th.

Cheers Greg..
NSW IPRA #26 (red/white/blue VL Group A Walkinshaw)

#9 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:55 AM

Cheers Greg.
I hope I will be at EC, I have been in Hospital all weekend, I finally had my elective surgery item fixed. Am on the mend so I should be ok...??

VL Walky hay... well first of all welcome (IPRA)...PHOTOs ? Is your car a early or late model? I assume late (post 86). which would be better for you. Yep you are right about a learning year... do you post on IPRANSW forum ?
Anyhow good luck and hope to see you out there soon. And yes come and say hi.

#10 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

As promised here is the O2L runners.....

NSW State Championships, Round 2 Eastern Creek 29/30 Apr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Improved production Over 2 Litres (*=My class)

3 Sam Maio Ford Falcon
8 Kees Delhaas
12 A Smith Mazda RX7
14 Scott Bucton Holden Commodore
15 Graham Watts Mazda RX7
16 *Doug Moss Datsun 120Y Turbo
25 Dion Pangalos Mazda 626
29 Phil Page Mazda RX7
31 Peter Foote Mazda RX7
32 Geoff Fear Nissan Skyline GTR
33 Bill Matsias Ford EL Falcon
41 Paul White Mazda RX7
56 Matt Watson Mazda 808
58 Scott Fleming Mazda RX7
60 *Pete Sayers Holden Torana LX
64 Ian Macrae Mazda 808
69 Graham Shea Mazda Capella
72 *Michael Hogg Holden Torana LX
77 Ryan Brown Mazda RX7
80 *Dave Lamaitre Toyota Corolla Turbo
81 *James Boughton Datsun 1600 Turbo
84 Matt Skinner Mazda RX4
89 Paul Scott Mazda RX7
97 *William Tyrell Holden VH Commodore
99 *Stephen Hegarty Holden VK Commodore

Saturday Schedule

0800 Drivers Briefing
0930 - 0955 IP Unders Scrutineering
1020 - 1045 IP Overs Scrutineering

Qualifying
Q5 1020 - 1035 Unders
Q7 1100 - 1115 Overs

Racing
R5 1403 - 1418 Unders (5 laps)
R7 1446 - 1504 Overs (5 laps)

Sunday

Scrutineering
0910 - 0935 Unders
1000 - 1025 Overs

Racing

R15 1034 Unders Race 2 (6 laps)
R17 1120 Overs Race 2 (6 laps)

R25 1430 Unders Race 3 (8 laps)
R27 1520 Overs Race 3 (8 laps)

#11 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:00 PM

Mmmm, and no #26. :fool: too much last minute stuff.
Will try to have the car at the friday practice for a bit of a shake down.. Noticed that you are entered Pete, So does that mean that you will be there? If you are there on Friday I'll come say Hi, if not see you on Saturday..

Cheers Greg..

#12 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:22 AM

Yep I'm entered. I should be there on Friday but I wont be practicing. My car will be up on the concrete hard standing somewhere.
Btw... they have fixed the hump coming over the tunnel after turn 3....finally!! :clap: chat to you sometime over the weekend.

If anyone is interested I can post U2L Field also... but they are all Jap cars etc...

#13 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

Sorry about this....amended entrant details.

72 Michael Hogg Holden Torana L J

Michael has an L J not an LX... for some reason I was thinking of Palmer in the red 2 door Torrie when I added his model of Torana. :fool:

#14 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Well it's "all over red rover" :cry:
After a 2 week thrash to prep the car and adjust the controls so I can actually drive the thing (last owner was a bit larger than me)... looks like we are going to fall over in sight of the finish line.
The reason, would you believe............ tyres?
Or rather the lack of...
Made enquiry on tyres last week and was assured of stock... rolled up yesterday... nil stock in NSW. :cry:
Still coming out for a look on Saturday so see ya's then.
I'll try and get a pic of the car up soon...

Cheers Greg..
NSW #26 IPRA

#15 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

Bad Luck Greg... catch ya over the weekeend...

#16 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

How did the Torana go?

#17 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

Not to bad... I predicted a lap time of 1:55 and sure enough I ended up with a 1:55.3. The car had some slight fuel pick up problems coming onto the main straight which so far is the only corner (both WP and EC) that it shows up on on. The basic problem is the fuel pick up is on the left side of the tank and on long left handers it isn't able to hold enough in reserve when coming onto the main straight.

My car is still way off the pace from the main pack, but like my last outing I basically improved over the weekend. I qualified with a 1:56.4 and was in the 55's both in race 2 and 3. The car finished each race and has no battle scars... the car is still way faster than me... so I have a lot to learn about it yet.

I hope to do a test day in the next couple of months to try and get some more speed out of it... By the way.. the Torana is a full 5 seconds faster than my last race car was, so I suppose I cant complain....

The next outing is Oran Park 17/18 Jun.

Here is a link to some of the photos from the weekend.

http://www.speed-sho...raover/IMG_1268
and
http://www.speed-sho...ipraover?page=1

Edited by LXChev366, 03 May 2006 - 10:38 AM.

#18 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hey Peter,

Glad to hear your second event went okay without any major probs! I've got less than 3 weeks till my debut so im getting pretty excited and I'm hoping I get through unscathed as well.

Ditto.... so what were you thinking of upgrading to?

Sorry I missed this one, not sure what I'm going to put on the back, prolly just Koni's like the front. Been looking on the US ebay a bit and have seen some adjustable penske's for sale, that would work well on the front.... Gonna wait till I have a few races under my belt before getting to carried away though... :)

Regarding you fuel pickup problem, I had the same thing with my car (Mallala is full of long corners that go on forever....) Ended up using a swirl pot and 2 fuel pumps. Got a holley blue for both the main fuel supply (to be upgraded) and another one for the supply to the pot. I have a BG full flow reg on the carby that allows the use of a return line back to the swirl pot. Its a bit complex to describe, but if you want I'll take a pic and show you.... This system seems to work well and is not ridiculously expensive either!

cheers,

Sam

#19 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi Sam,

Ended up using a swirl pot and 2 fuel pumps

Yep I was thinking the same thing. I have an idea as to how...thanks.

Good luck with your upcoming outing.

Re Shocks... yep I'm like you, I will be running what I have for now and upgrade to something later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users