Anyone done a MSD ignition into lh torana?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _75LH_

_75LH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

hey ive got it all wired up with new dizzy,coil and ignition apart from the red wire coming from the 6AL thats suposed to goto the 'turn key' . After looking at my workshop manual and looking in the steering column i still cant work out where to connect it. theres a lot of wires going to the actual key area and a few going to a white box halfway down the steering column. can anyone please help me????i want my car back going asap.
matt

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

Firstly, welcome to the forums. The pink wire from the "white box" on the steering column is to the ignition coil with the engine on. The yellow one is to the igniton coil when starting.

#3 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

And you need to make sure that you have 12v with the key in the ignition and cranking position otherwise it wont start or will die when you release the starter. Mine i had to connect the crank and run wires to the red wire for it to all work

#4 _75LH_

_75LH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

thanks, so do i have the pink and yellow wire attached aswell as the new msd red and black? i thought thats too many wires on the coil at once and that you remove the pink and yellow,replace them with the msd wires and run the other red msd wire to the key switch??

the msd instructions say only have the msd wires on the coil and run the other red to the switch. I don't no where to connect the red on the switch or does it not matter?

sorry im confused

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

I've never hooked up an MSD, I'm just stating which wires are which at the switch on the column.

#6 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

I have mine connected to the two wires mentioned by chopper as it needs power during crank and run to work properly. As per the msd instructions dont connect anything to the coil except the wires they say to

#7 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

I have mine the same as torana 308. only wires going to coil are from the msd. the red wire from msd connects to ignition as chopper explained.

#8 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

Only two wires should be connected to the coil. The two wires that should be connected to the coil are from the MSD. The light gauge orange wire (to the +ve side of coil) and the light gauge black wire (-ve side of the coil). Do not connect any other wires other than these two to the coil as the coil is no longer operating on 12 V with the MSD connected.

As Chopper has said the yellow/pink wire is connect to the light gauge red wire of the MSD. These wires should not be connected to the coil.

Hope that helps!

#9 _75LH_

_75LH_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

cheers for the help guys. I connected it to the yellow wire and it starts fine but wont turn off. it wont start on the pink. and when i connect the three it runs real shit and wont turn off. ive tried a couple of other places and mixed results but have found a wire that it will turn off on, so hope thats going to be fine. i guess il have to trial it and see if it has any effect on other car components.

#10 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

Sounds like you will need to connect the diode to your alternator wire so your engine shuts off when you turn it off.

And im pretty sure that if you connect the red msd wire to the tell tales/backup terminal on your fuse panel, you will be right - i cant really remember, i installed mine a while ago now, ill check tomorrow though.
Im pretty sure that terminal has power when cranking and while running.

#11 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

I have the oppurtunity to score a MSD dizzy to suit my 308 at a very good price, doesnt come with the Electronic module or coil. Is it any different than a standard electronic dizzy and worth the buy if i dont have the rest. I planned on getten my dizzy curved to match the cam. should i use the MSD dizzy or is there no diff?

Sorry to steal the light, just thought i would ak before i brought it.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#12 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

If it dosent have an electronic module, you will need an msd ignition to use it, as it only has a sensor inside the dizzy.
its up to you if you want it, if you get your original dizzy recurved to your cam it will be just as good.

#13 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Its $100 now, is it worth buying then re selling just for the price of it.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#14 _Torana482HP_

_Torana482HP_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

if its brand new then definately, if its second hand, check the condition and see what price others are selling at.

#15 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

ive seen the dizzy, its a brand new billet made dizzy to suit 308, has the MSD parts in the dizzy and there brand new, no good to me without the module setup.
Dizzy was built by the joint thats curving mine. Any one interested

Cheers
JNR_ATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users