fuel problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _aka5000_

_aka5000_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Gday gday, my LH 308 has a fuel problem, and was wandering if anyone knows whats goin on.
when im low on fuel and stick the clutch in the revs drop and she stalls, i figured that there must be crap in the bottom of the tank getting sucked up and blocked, starving it of fuel, but then it started happening when with plenty of fuel in the tank.
not sure if their related but the other day was driving along and the car cut out followed by a bang, couple secs later she kicks back in and i kept driving; this happend a couple times and on the third cut out completely, i had no power, nothing. about an hour later everything was sweet, and it started...?
if anyone could shed some light on these probs that would be great, thanks all

#2 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:08 PM

I;'d bet hands down that its not a fuel problem, its your ignition switch.

Next time this happens, GENTLY touch your keys and see if the reds come back on.. I had this exact same thing happen to me in the HQ.

Replaced the switch mechanism at the bottom of the column and Viola.. problem solved!

Good luck
P.S this is in the wrong section... Moved to the correct section!!

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

Could be loose earth lead to eng. Loose pos. lead at starter. Or loose battery terminals. Does it have a small earth lead from battery to body?

Good luck!

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

What made me so sure its what i mentioned was the backfire when it came back on... Like an old Key Bunger! No ignition.. raw fuel goes into exhaust.. when ignition comes back on.. *BANG*

Cheers!

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

I dont know whether the two events you describe are connected.
If your problem only occurs with low fuel levels, then it is a fuel issue....long chance there is something electrical happening through the fuel gauge thats affecting your ignition.
The violent cutting out and in as you drive along definitely sounds like your ignition switching off and on. Re sticking the clutch in, does this happen when you are idling in neutral. ie when you are idling in neutral with the clutch engaged does the idle speed drop when you depress the clutch? if it does this could point to a bad body/engine/earth.

#6 _aka5000_

_aka5000_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

both engine/body earth leads arnt loose, terminals arnt loose, pos lead to starter isnt loose; tho couple of the leads running to the starter come close to the extractors and are kinds melted, which has been giving me starting probs, havnt got around to re wiring it yet

the fuel sender unit is screwed i think, when the gauge gets to half it drops to zero, if thats any help

re the clutch, it doesnt happen when idleing in neutral, its when driving, coming to a set of lights and stick the clutch in to come to a stop, thats when the revs drop and the car stalls

thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users