Strike-Me-Pink XU-1 Tag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _SRC63_

_SRC63_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

30 years ago a member of my club sold his much loved Strike-me-pink LJ XU-1 so he could build a house. Years later he decided to buy another XU-1 and went looking for it.

He didn't find his original car but found another pink XU-1 in need of restoration, so he bought it. While rebuilding it he discovered that, while the other two tags matched the vehicle, the BI tag did not and it was actually a Lone O'Ranger car.

I was talking to him the yesterday and said he should ask around to see if anyone out there is missing the strike-me-pink tag. He agreed it should go back to the vehicles owner and he asked me to post a topic on this site. So, if you're missing a Body Identification tag and think it may be yours let me know and I'll pass on his contact details.

He also mentioned that he went to the house of another club member on the weekend and sitting in a shed, where it's been for a number of years, was his original car. It's in very poor condition and is missing a few important bits, but he's now looking at getting it back.

Edited by SRC63, 20 January 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#2 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

Stuart,
could we get some details of this tag (date or somesuch) and the other car for the register?

Grant..

#3 _SRC63_

_SRC63_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

There's no dates on the BI tag, just a body number, which I'm hoping someone who is missing the tag can supply to confirm it's the right vehicle.

I'll talk to the guy who now owns the other pink one and see if he's happy to release the details.

#4 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

This might sound dangerous but I wonder if it's worth having a registery of "found tags"

I'm sure there's plenty of original gtr/xu1's out there with a tag missing so why no marry them up with there MIA tag.... no different to finding your matching number block.

Just a thought to put out there

#5 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

sounds a good idea, but would just have to limit the amount of detail to stop the fraudsters.

#6 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

It needs to go into the dodgy tag thread as an extra - there is another one about at the moment.......
Shit, it may even make one of the dodgy ones correct!!

Grant..

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'm dubious about this
I guess as an owner with a missing tag I'd be happy to see it back
But I see this as being fraught with danger
If a tag finds its original car I'd hate to see anyone asking cash for such a thing

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

FYI all,

it is illegal to sell compliance plates, so if you find the car then handing them over in a gesture of goodwill would be awesome.

I'm sure someone would be happy to reward your mate with a carton for his generosity.

Grant..

#9 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

judging by starting up the response it would be worth starting up 'found tags' register

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users