Speedo drive gear interchangeable between 3&4speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:03 AM

exactly as was written in that other post ... sorry ...

I have got my hands on a blue 22 teeth gear for the speedo but now my question stands about the drive gear that goes arround the output shaft on the actual gearbox ... the rarespares site has then listed as two different items but are they in fact interchangeable with one another? I'd love to get this speedo working again and will go ahead and do it tomorrow unless someone says it's a bad idea

the main differences I can see is that the 4 speed (m20) one has grooves on the inside and the 3 speed one doesn't. The 3 speed one also seems to be longer (in regards to the dimension from the front of the car to back when in place) than the 4 speed one.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
-Al

#2 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:00 PM

They're definitely not interchangeable ... AAARGH! F%#K! Anyone know where I could get one really really locally to caulfield north in the next day or so?

Damn this has really put a spoil in my day ...

-Al

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

Aussie 3 and 4 should be interchangeable, the old crash box won't fit the aussie boxes..opel I have no idea about.

#4 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

The three speed has no gears in that rear housing thing so it has no need to change the pattern of teeth along the output shaft ... so they haven't. in the four speed it obviously has the reverse gear so it has a smooth section (no teeth in the shaft) and the gear from the three speed doesn't sit snugly (about 5mm to move around) but enough that it would probably break almost straight away.

No matter ... I found a wrecker in Moorrabbin that had one ...

Speedo works again a treat!

-Al

#5 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

The Opel drive gear is totally different.

It is all metal. The gear is mounted on a 50 mm long spindle which in turn mounts in a 25mm dia sleeve housing that then mounts into a hole in the gear box and in held in place with a keeper pin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users