wiring diagram needed for vn 5ltr to lx torana

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _turbovlcalais_

_turbovlcalais_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

gday ppl i was wondering if anyone could help me im fitting a vn 5ltr into my lx hatch and reqire a wiring diagram so i can get the motor running
cheers

#2 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

Go to Castlemaine Rod Shop,pretty sure they got a patch lume to wire the efi engine into anything,i did the same engine into a jag with a mate a while ago,are you running the trans as well ?
Phillip

#3 _turbovlcalais_

_turbovlcalais_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

gday yes im going to be running a t5 manual gearbox behind it ive got the engine loom that came with the motor which was out a vn just need to know which wires i need to connect to power up the computer
cheers

#4 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, my camera is due for replacement. These pics are taken from a GMH service manual, hope they are of some help. I've done this conversion to both my LH Toranas. The part not shown in the diagram is how to splice the VN harness into the Torana harness. Here are some pointers that may help to. I spliced the pink wire that runs off terminal 86 on the EFI relay to the large pink wire that goes into the Torana ignition switch. This sends powers up the ECU on ignition on. I ran the yellow wire that originaly powered the ignition coil to the same terminal, 86 on the EFI relay, that powers up the ECU on engine crank. You can run a seperate relay for this but for ease & neatness i only run four relays, EFI, Fuel Pump, Start & Engine fan. If you're running a thermo fan controled by the ECU, remember that the primary cooling for the V8 engines is the metal clutch fan & the thermo will only come on when the ECU reads a temp signal of over 100 degrees celcius or it recieves an A/C input signal. To over come this i ran the A/C input wire to a switch so once the engine temp reads 180 on my Autometre temp guage i turn the A/C input switch on & the fan will come on. If you'd like any other pointers or advice feel free to ask. Good luck with your project. Cheers Matt.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 _turbovlcalais_

_turbovlcalais_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

gday lh slr 3300 thanks for the imput ive saved everything you listed above im just waiting on my crossmember to arrive then i will attack it
cheers jimmy

#6 _hypo_8_

_hypo_8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

hi lh slr 3300,
i am doing the same conversion at the moment
where abouts did u drill the hole in the fire wall to run the loom and where abouts have you put the computer

#7 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

hi lh slr 3300,
i am doing the same conversion at the moment
where abouts did u drill the hole in the fire wall to run the loom and where abouts have you put the computer

Hi hypo_8, I modified my VN harness & the large firewall grommet is gone, i drilled a 32mm hole 4 inches below the hole the heater fan wiring runs through. All the relays, MAP sensor, hall effect (trigger module) ignition coil are under the dash therefore only half the amount of wires run through the firewall as opposed to the factory VN set up. I made a bracket to mount the ECU in the glovebox. I haven't got a pic of my ECU mount but here's a pic showing where the harness goes through the firewall.
Posted Image
Heres some pics of the fuseable link bar & relay relocated.
Posted Image
Posted Image
And this is where the trigger module sits now. It's critical that this has a good body earth to work properly too.
Posted Image
Any other questions feel free to ask & good luck with your project. Cheers Matt

#8 _revkev91_

_revkev91_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

Hi has anyone put the vn 308 in a 1973 lj

#9 _wardy_

_wardy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

hi guys
can i get away with just using 3 relays fuel , start , efi ,

#10 _wardy_

_wardy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

hi guys

guess not

#11 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

i Matt dont throw that book out what ever ya do as i might need it somewhere down the track eventhough i labled it all when i pulled it all out Posted Image

#12 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

there would have been a few that have put the 304 in to LC/LJ's try doing a seach mate

#13 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

i Matt dont throw that book out what ever ya do as i might need it somewhere down the track eventhough i labled it all when i pulled it all out Posted Image

No probs Lee, i won't be letting that manual go, i also have access to a Tech 1 Holden diagnostic scanner & a Snap-on multimetre to trouble shoot. Let me know when the time comes to wire your car & we'll go from there.

#14 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Yes, the same diagram can be used to wire up an EFI 5.0ltr into an LJ. This was my LJ which had an injected 5.0ltr, T5 & 9inch.

Posted Image
Posted Image

hi guys

Mine only use those three relays for the EFI, start & fuel too, the forth relay is for thermo fans.

#15 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

thats a nice loking LJ Matt and thats good to know you wont be getting rid of the book Posted Image

#16 _markymark20_

_markymark20_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi LH SLR 3300, what fuel pump did you use and where did you fit? I've got VN pump but been told to fit an internal pump as well. Also return fuel line, I have a donor LH I was going to pull out the fuel line from it and fit it with the original line? One last question, with VN computer do you need elec speedo when running a T5, I believe an auto it's essential but what about manual.
Thanks, your help is appreciated!!

#17 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

HI Mark here is the link to Matt's build thread right from the very start, you will find pretty much all you need to know as he has gone into pretty good detail with each stage of the build, im pretty sure a return line needs to be used as he grabbed the fuel line outta my LX to use for a return line, anyways here the link to his thread, hope it helps Posted Image

http://www.gmh-toran...opic=38023&st=0

#18 _markymark20_

_markymark20_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

HI Mark here is the link to Matt's build thread right from the very start, you will find pretty much all you need to know as he has gone into pretty good detail with each stage of the build, im pretty sure a return line needs to be used as he grabbed the fuel line outta my LX to use for a return line, anyways here the link to his thread, hope it helps Posted Image

http://www.gmh-toran...opic=38023&st=0

Hey thanks for that! Wow well done Matt, very inspiring. Just spent the last two hours flicking thru it all. I've got a lot of work in front of me, and mine won't be half as flash as Matt's. Will keep searching fo rmore info, Thanks heaps!!!!

#19 _kvs308_

_kvs308_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, my camera is due for replacement. These pics are taken from a GMH service manual, hope they are of some help. I've done this conversion to both my LH Toranas. The part not shown in the diagram is how to splice the VN harness into the Torana harness. Here are some pointers that may help to. I spliced the pink wire that runs off terminal 86 on the EFI relay to the large pink wire that goes into the Torana ignition switch. This sends powers up the ECU on ignition on. I ran the yellow wire that originaly powered the ignition coil to the same terminal, 86 on the EFI relay, that powers up the ECU on engine crank. You can run a seperate relay for this but for ease & neatness i only run four relays, EFI, Fuel Pump, Start & Engine fan. If you're running a thermo fan controled by the ECU, remember that the primary cooling for the V8 engines is the metal clutch fan & the thermo will only come on when the ECU reads a temp signal of over 100 degrees celcius or it recieves an A/C input signal. To over come this i ran the A/C input wire to a switch so once the engine temp reads 180 on my Autometre temp guage i turn the A/C input switch on & the fan will come on. If you'd like any other pointers or advice feel free to ask. Good luck with your project. Cheers Matt.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users