My car wont even crank.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hey guys, i need to fix this problem ASAP.

Went to start my torrie this morning and it wouldn't even crank, all i get is a ticking noise, i think it may be coming from the starter motor. not sure, but the battery is good and fully charged, alternator was replaced about 6 mths ago. I did wash the car lastnight so maybe got a bit of water in something???
Thanks guys.
Oh its a 186, LX.

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:40 PM

The very first thing I would do is to remove both battery terminals and clean the posts with some sand paper or wet and dry (if you have none then scratch a tiny layer of the posts back to shiny using anything at hand, knife blade or screwdriver etc) and then replace the terminals - tighten and then try the key again.
Oh, if using a knife blade or screwdriver be sure not to short out the posts on the bodywork etc lol it will make you jump to ay the least!
This costs nothing and is always worth a try.....

Others here will no doubt have ideas on starter motors etc ;)

Cheers
Herne

#3 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Other thing other than what Herne said is to give the solenoid (small cylinder on the side of the starter motor a small tap with a spanner or similar. When hheat gets to them they can stick and not allow your motor to crank. There's only so many times you can do it before it gives up though. People sometimes put relays in the system too to help the starting process.

#4 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

Check the battery as ticking noise is usually when there isn't enough juice to turn the starter over. If it is ok, then move to the starter motor solenoid. A couple of taps should free it up. If you still have this trouble start checking your wiring and connections.

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Does it work with a jump start?

#6 _Spyder_

_Spyder_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

do a volt drop test over the battery - get your multimeter (you can get them cheap from supercheap, repco etc like $10 for a basic one) and put the +'ve probe toe the +'ve and - to -.
then get someone to turn the key to start it and watch the battery voltage. if it drops by more than 3 volts i think it is, then the battery if #@$^%&
while your there you can check the votage of the battery to to make sure it is fully charged

#7 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

All fixed guys it was battery related, cleaned terminals, topped the fluid up and gave it a couple hours charge. All is good now, Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users