Paint Masking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

Hey there all, just wondering whats the best way for your DYI job to mask paint off? like as if you were going to paint a racing stipe or something down your car or something...

is it just a matter of using some masking tape along the line you want and more tape with some newspaper or the like?

is there special masking tape i can get from supercheap etc or will plain old masking tape do the trick?

Cheers
-Clint

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

Firstly I'd forget about buying your materials from Retail auto accessory outlets like the one you mentioned, not only will you be paying top dollar for a substandard product you'll also get no advice at all that will help you in any way.

Theres plenty of Automotive Paint supply shops in Australia everywhere (even on the net) that have a decent line of sundries that will enable you to get a quality finish at home for a decent price and most guys behind the counters are only too willing to help you out with advice :spoton:

If your going to paint a "sidewinder" or racing stripes etc, the best product to use is 3M 3mm or 6mm Blue"Fineline" masking tape. This tape isnt made from paper but is actually vinyl so it maintains a sharp clean edge and won't bleed through and will also be able to be moved around fluently around door frames and the like. Most shops will stock this or at least the same style of product in another brand.

Use this tape to lay out your stripes then mask off this with conventional masking tape and masking paper (or newspaper if you have to). Honestly try and buy the best quality masking tape you can afford (from an automotive paint supplier) as you will have less chance of it causing trouble for you with bleeding through and lifting paint off where you don't want it.

Of course you can probably "get away" with any old masking tape but if your going for a professional finish then the better quality products will increase your chances of a nicer result.

#3 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:00 AM

Cheers Pete, Altho I dont know of any "automotive paint supply" shops in perth? what are a couple of common company names i could look up in the yellow pages?

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

You'll find the fine line is the way to go. The thinners tend to eat under the edge of normal masking tape, resulting in fuzzy edges. Look up Automotive Paint Suppliers in the Yellow Pages.

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

Or even Google 'Automotive Paint Suppliers, Perth'.

Cheap masking tape can tend to bleed and it's not a good look.....

Cheers
Herne

#6 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

try these mate:
PROTEC PAINTS WELSHPOOL RD WELSHPOOL 93518727
AUTOMOTIVE PAINT AND TOOLS GIBBS ST CANNINGTON 9356 1874
SOUTHERN RIVER PAINT SUPPLIES ALBANY HWY GOSNELLS
they all carry that gear in stock

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

The real value in these ^ places is that the dudes behind the counter are usually ex-painters and only too happy to answer your questions and assist in making sure you get a great result. Listen to what they say, you've got nothing to loose.

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Cheers for the help fella's, appriciated :)

#9 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

Also Automotive Paint Supplies in Bayswater. They've been helpful for me in the past, tho no manner of products has improved my ability at spraying metallics... :huh:

#10 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

Luckily, if you are only after the 3M Fineline Masking tape, with no advice included, you can get it at Bunnings/Hardwarehouse/Mitre10 nowadays.

Gotta love 3M sponsored 1.5hr infomercials on Sundays.....

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users