Turbo 350

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hey all,

Whilst putting the motor back in, my friend put the jack up against the gearboc to hold the weight of it, i didnt notice until afterwards, but he put it in the middle of the pan, which has now bend the pan a bit.

I know with sumps, there is a bit of room, so a dent here or there is not good, but you can still manage.

However i have never opened a auto box before, so dont know if there is much clearance there.

Will the box still function properly with a dent in the pan, or do i have to change it?

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

There isn't anything turning down there so you should be ok...that said i don't know how bad the dint is.

#3 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

you can allways take of the sump and "panel beat" it back to original shape using hammer and tools. then you can check the inside of your trans while your at it. just make sure you use a new gasket and you can clean out the filter too or replace it.

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

I definitely agree with lj chev ^^^ This is what I would do, the pans are only pressed metal and will panel beat very easily.

Cheers
Herne

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

I would definitly take it off in case you may have squashed the filter.

#6 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for that, i have been edging to finish the car and get it running, but i dont want to stuff a perfectly good gearbox. how much oil do these things hold?

Just got back from Melbourne tonight, had the opportunity to meet Glenn in person and see his car, what a machine!

It has rekindled me to get going faster with my car!

#7 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:30 AM

Should use approximately about 4 litres. If you've installed a new torque converter you will need more. Just make sure you don't overfill it!

Start the engine and let the transmission warm up. Then shift the transmission a few times and check the level on the dip stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users