LC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Lokky Moore_

_Lokky Moore_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

I have an LC 4 cylinder that I can't give away (turn of phrase not literal). It's a coupe and I'd be interested to find out what it would take to put a 6 in it.

I figure I will need to get a hold of a 6 clinder firewall to nosecone (a sedan would do I'm guessing) The 6 cylinder crossmember/suspension etc. And I'm hoping I could use early holden axles and diff for the ass end.

Have I completely missed the plot and this is going to be a ridiculously major operation. Or is it possible and can somone point me in the right direction and how to go about doing what I want to do.

#2 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

PUT A V6 COMMODORE MOTOR IN IT

#3 _Lokky Moore_

_Lokky Moore_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

I could, but I have a 186/powerglide and a really good nick 173/m20 set up I would like to use. The 186 setup needs work but the 173 is a pull out and plonk in... assuming the upgrade is possible.

The other thing I forgot to add was that - for a stocky red will I need to chassis strengthen? Or am I going to have to do it anyway for blue plate?

#4 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

its a huge job and a waste of time :)

#5 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

rpm is right.
You would be much better off finding a clean, complete 6 shell and salvaging what you can off your existing 4. All the interchangeable bits, glass, rubbers, interior, rear drive-train etc. And it wont be much more expensive than welding a front-cut.
If you found you would be replacing nearly everything during the 4 shell restore, you just confirmed that you made the right decision to get the new shell.

Edited by smeer, 12 April 2006 - 02:21 PM.

#6 _xsteve_

_xsteve_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:36 AM

Why do a cut ?
drop the six in to it with the stubby front left on

i would love another 4 cyl

#7 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Red six into early Gemini kits should be able to get you 6cyl in there??

Grant..

#8 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Might have to let the angle grinder do the talking to get a radiator in but(would hve the rice inspired intercooler look). Theres not that much room between engine and rad in a 6 cyl LJ let alone putting a 6 in the 4 cyl models shorter front end

Edited by shanegtr, 15 April 2006 - 08:24 AM.

#9 _Lokky Moore_

_Lokky Moore_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

To be honest I'd prefer to keep the stumpy front but I have a feeling it may be difficult to fit.

My major hassle and the part that I'm trying to figure out most is the legalities. I think QLD you can have a 15% (?) upgrade without haveing to get safety mods. The 173 would be more than 100% which is why I want to do it :spoton:

Legally for blue plate I'm assuming that I'll need to upgrade the brakes and stud patters hence the assumption about the cross member and ass. CAn anyone point me in the right direction as a how too? I'm sure its been done before so hopefully someone has already done the hard work ;)

enderwigginau where would I find the info on the gemini mods?

Cheers

#10 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

what an injected turbo 4? Can get front cuts pretty easliy, you shouldnt have any problems with space, and would most likely go harder than a red 6

#11 _Hmmm_

_Hmmm_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

My tip if in Vic is to contact your local engineer. A fellow in Bayswater I was having a chat with a few years back had experience with the conversion of the HB to the LC.

His words were to get a red six in; LC/LJ crossmember incl relocated mounts, anti crush tubes, chassis kit with modifications, upgrade diff, and a dirty great hole in the firewall. To replace this cut section means an overlap of about 1inch with swaging wherever possible. No change to the front clip, per se. Addition of crossmember provides many benefits to the installation, not limited to just no need to create engine mounts.

Big job, but it has been done before. If you have the tools, this is how to do it.

#12 _Lokky Moore_

_Lokky Moore_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

Cheers people that was what I was chasing.

Greatly Appreciated.

Cheers Lokky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users