[NSW, Orange] Gnoo Blas annual car show

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Copy and paste from website.
I have never been but apprently it is impressive.

Orange is 50k's west of Bathurst, if you get bored with the WPS 12hr this weekend come check it out.

Website link

The Gnoo Blas Classic is a classic car show staged at Jack Brabham Park in the centre of the old Gnoo Blas Road Racing Circuit - Orange NSW

A nostalgic weekend of great cars not to miss - you can travel the cirucit of champions whilst enjoying the serene surroundings of beautiful old trees and reserves..
The Gnoo Blas Circuit was a motor racing circuit formed from rural roads and highways outside of the town of Orange, around the grounds of Bloomfield Hospital and what is now known as Sir Jack Brabham Park. It was 6.03 km long. The name 'Gnoo Blas' came from the Aboriginal name for Mount Canobolas.
Opened in 1953 the circuit held the inaugural Australian Touring Car Championship event in 1960 - won by David McKay.

Built by the Orange City and Canobolas Shire councils the Gnoo Blas circuit is an important part of motor sport history with most of Australia's best drivers having competed here. Drivers including - Jack Brabham, Stan Jones, Alex Mildren and Bob Jane.

In its time it was established as the fastest circuit in Australia, with a lap record of 105mph (169kmh), 15% faster than Mount Panorama - Reg Hunt set this speed in a Maserati in 1956.
The Gnoo Blas Club keep alive the history of the old circuit whilst raising funds for various charities and projects.

The weekend includes a different variety of events each year such as -

enthusuasts' dinner with special guests

visits to local wineries

district tours

picnic lunches at scenic Lake Canobolas

billycart races for both kids and adults

model racing car demonstrations

rock bands

And special attractions at the show

such as -

last years MAB Special fitted with a Liberty V12 aero engine

And the

Sunswift 111, the University of NSW's record-breaking solar car.

Visit Gnoo Blas Classic web site

Contact - Denis Gregory 02 6362 2840

#2 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

I used to go to the eighth mile drags at Gnoo Blas when i was an apprentice
20years ago, Now i feel realy old...
Baz

#3 _1072_

_1072_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

barman I to used to go to gnoo blas 20 yrs ago in my black torana hatch/332/trimatic. I actually still have the trophy I won when the turbo rx7 I was racing stalled on the line the last time I raced there. Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users