I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

Stroking a Holden six makes the balance factor seriously bad. Low down torque is good but you won't break any records with a motor that can't be spun out smoothly.

#27 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:06 AM

so why bother with a 355 or 383 holden or chev bomber?
answer cubes and low down torque

You're comparing apples and oranges beery. Both these V8s have the breathing capacity to support the extra cubes; a Holden headed six doesn't. The VN heads plus any number of good Chev heads will flow enough to support well over 400 cubes at high rpms. Even well ported HQ heads will feed 355cu in. On top of that both V8s have a much sturdier block, relatively speaking, than the six.

#28 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

On that question about breathing capacity of V8 heads....whats the bore centres of a red 6 compared to a v8? has someone got a v8 and a red6 head gasket in the shed to lay over each other? I'm have a crazy and very economical thought.

#29 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Lol sorry Fast there's a big difference between the six and V8. The Chev 6 on the other hand (ie. 250 & 292 etc) does share bore centres with the SBC and a few people have cut and shut aftermarket alloy SB heads with good results. Speaking of head transplants I'm in the process of building up a BF headed 202 at the moment (DOHC, 4 valve, 220cfm unported) and if anyones interested I'll post a few pics etc as I go. If I can just keep up the current blistering pace I should have it finished by early 2035...

#30 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

I'd like to hear more about that. What's a BF head?

#31 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Ford BF Falcon i'm guessing... I'd love to see some pics :)

#32 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Sounds promising!

#33 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

EEEEKKKK my Ford loving brother would have a heart attack especially if I stole the heads off his 5.4lt 260 Boss engine!!!

I can just see the glee on his face:

Ford 221 Crank
Boss head
toploader gearbox
9 inch diff

lucky there is a badge to tell everyone its a Holden!!!

Edited by FastEHHolden, 20 February 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#34 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Ford BF Falcon i'm guessing... I'd love to see some pics Posted Image

+1 for pics

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

As above

#36 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Ok still in early stages but will try to get some pics etc up tomorrow

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I'd rather come last than bolt a F@RD part on my Holden engine!...............But that's just me. :)

Though, I might log on anonomously from time to time to check out the pics......... :ph34r:

#38 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

You're comparing apples and oranges beery. Both these V8s have the breathing capacity to support the extra cubes; a Holden headed six doesn't. The VN heads plus any number of good Chev heads will flow enough to support well over 400 cubes at high rpms. Even well ported HQ heads will feed 355cu in. On top of that both V8s have a much sturdier block, relatively speaking, than the six.

don't j zed heads(or even yella terra)heads breathe a little better?
and you can buy stud girdle kits off a forum member now
and there's always grout filling blocks
to overcome these problems
personally i'd just buy/build a chev/holden stroker
but some people have different ideas/agenderas

#39 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

I don't believe that Holdens are that limited by the heads, and even if you believe they are, you can always just go J-ZED. The issue seems to essentially be the single plane counterweighting of the crank... and possibly crankshaft material. That's why I think these strokers are a kinda mediocre idea.

Remember that a Holden 6 isn't exactly SMALL in a Torana - it's just because we are used to them having V8s. There are plenty of cars the size of a Torana that have only been optioned with four cylinder motors. I wouldn't get too caught up in chasing cubes

If you want BIG POWER, you are not going to make it with a stroker, period.

Edited by Heath, 20 February 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#40 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

It depends on what your version of "Big power" is...and considering the block metalurgy is really the limiting factor I am absoluty sure you can find the limit with a stroker.

I always planned having a high compression/low boost turbo system with my 234...from that I was pretty sure of getting the result I was after.

I just need to spend more money...on manifolds...Either "Extrudehone" a VK EFI and get an exhaust manifold to fit with it...or start from scratch...and yes Oldjohno I know your feelings on VK EFI manifold..but I reckon ported how i want them , with boost, it would work great...might need a bigger plenum though.

#41 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

:threadjacked:

from my experiance witch is not a g8 deal i have seen people scratch around putting the early ford heads on red blocks i thought it was the goods but now i have learnt a little more i dont see really why yd bother the looks for startes then for the price and stuffing around mmm realistickly you would really be better of looking at just buying an aftermarket head modified corectly and be done with it i also think that you would be getting away form the hole 202 idea. but then if you were a real 202 fan and didnt want to spend alot of money outright i could see why you would do it.

on another note dad and i talk about this all the time in regards to his flattop ford v8 you can buy aftermarket o/h valve heads for them but that would be getting away from the actual side valve v8 and u would be better of getting a chebby v8...

anyway back to the strokers??????????????????

Cheers Hayden

#42 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Fair enough Heath. I think enough people have successfully used strokers in relatively mild builds to prove they can last - so long as you're prepared to accept their limitations regarding the rpm ceiling and maximum output.
But if something like a jzed head (or some sort of blower) was used, and you wanted to fully utilise its potential to make power, then it's gonna take more than a girdle and a bit of grout to keep it together. The crank would have to be billet steel for strength as well as ability to be properly balanced, and you'd want ultralight pistons and custom rods to get a decent ratio that would be gentle on the bores. Even with all this you could probably still kill the block if you rattled it hard or for too long. It'd be a lovely motor no doubt but by the time you add up the cost of the head, crank, rods and pistons (not to mention roller cam, valvetrain and induction etc) it'd be getting pretty pricey.

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Fair enough Heath. I think enough people have successfully used strokers in relatively mild builds to prove they can last - so long as you're prepared to accept their limitations regarding the rpm ceiling and maximum output.

Absolutely, and they have heaps of low down torque. They are great street motors but using a Holden crank with offset ground pins, it will never be a race motor without SIGNIFICANT modifications to the counterweights.

Compare early and late Ford in-line six cranks to see the counterweighting changes, it's quite interesting

I should state here that I don't actually know what the 221 crank is like - what crank it is exactly, how that is weighted and what processes are involved in putting it in the Holden motor. It probably provides a shithouse rod ratio but beyond that I don't know.

But if something like a jzed head (or some sort of blower) was used, and you wanted to fully utilise its potential to make power, then it's gonna take more than a girdle and a bit of grout to keep it together. The crank would have to be billet steel for strength as well as ability to be properly balanced, and you'd want ultralight pistons and custom rods to get a decent ratio that would be gentle on the bores. Even with all this you could probably still kill the block if you rattled it hard or for too long.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. You can spend as much time as you want strengthening shit up, and even if you get it so good that nothing will come loose or break, the imbalance that you've ignored is still going to rob huge amounts of power and limit your motor's operating speed. Essentially you need to sort out your balance before anything else happens - there are no two ways about it. I just think that making an offset ground 202 stroker crank is just shooting yourself in the foot if you wanna get to the engine speeds where real power gets made

The balance factor on a standard 202 crank is woeful (that's why everyone is having huge vibration issues). Offset grind stroking them makes the balance factor even worse obviously

But if all you wanna do is have a Torana that pulls bloody hard down low and doesn't rev any harder than a standard red 202, then ignore my arguments (or just put a supercharger on your car lol!)

#44 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

(that's why everyone is having huge vibration issues)

mmm might need to look out for them now........hehe are they more proment with the use of red cranks.

im yet to see an actual half baked stroker perform.

#45 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

...The balance factor on a standard 202 crank is woeful (that's why everyone is having huge vibration issues).

And it's also why so many people using knife-edged cranks are breaking blocks...
The only solution with a factory crank is to use lighter rods/pistons and/or mallory metal.

#46 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

knife edge cranks i have only seen a very few that actually know what shape to have them the ebay ones are well knowen for ^^^^^^^^^^^^ what oldjohno said.

well maybe they know the shape but the cosmetic apperance has got alot to do with sales maybe.....

#47 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

Mate i think your question has been well answered by oldjohnno, but anyway, BECAUSE THE ROD RATIO WILL BE #@$^%& AND YOU CANT COMPARE A HOLDEN V8 OR A CHEV TO A HOLDEN 6!!!

You really would have to be an idiot to think you could compare them, no offense intended, just trying to clear things up a bit, i get along with you rather well most the time, but yeah, sometimes you say the darndest things.

Cheers.

#48 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

that's why everyone is having huge vibration issues

mmm might need to look out for them now........hehe are they more proment with the use of red cranks.

Yeah definitely more prominent with a red 202 crank than a black 202 crank, but I can assure you that neither are great! But the closer the crankpin is to the axis of the main journals, if nothing else changes, the better the balance factor.

Is yours a late model 202 crank? What balancer? I don't know what effect a flex plate & stally have (extra weight probably has some advantages). What do you rev it out to?

Edited by Heath, 21 February 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#49 biga064

biga064

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

...The balance factor on a standard 202 crank is woeful (that's why everyone is having huge vibration issues).

And it's also why so many people using knife-edged cranks are breaking blocks...
The only solution with a factory crank is to use lighter rods/pistons and/or mallory metal.

Old Johnno , What do you recommended for a lightweight piston rod Combo ? If you already have your red crank ? Cheers Biga064

#50 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...opic=40831&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic