slipping trimatic

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

my 6 cyl trimatic is slipping bad in 2,3 under acceleration, in 1st the tyres still break traction under acceleration
fluid is red and a top up hasnt helped.
does this sound like loose bands or a cactus transmission.
does anyone know any good tri matic builders near blacktown,

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Vacuum to modulator.

#3 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

Vacuum to modulator.

i do think my modulator diaphram might have a leak, but it still seems to shift up at the right time and doesnt shift down if i back off wich are the problems ive had before with the vac line leaking, can the modulator cuase sliping?
i have my modulator hooked up to the sucking side of the blower.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

Can't hurt to test it.

#5 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

as above

#6 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

if i put a hand held guage on a t peice between the blower and modulator (plumbed to carb side) how many hg should it have?

#7 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

i dont have enough hose to road test it, i tried running it through the bonnet edge but it crimps the hose, i think a better spot would be from the modulator end but the hose wont reach, wish i never fixed those rust holes in the floor, anyway, at idle it has about 5 hg cold, with the choke out (SU carb)and a smooth idle it goes up to 14hg @ idle, this is from the blower end of the vac line, i assume the reading i need is when the car is driving in 1st and 2nd.

anyway the vac line was supposed to be temporay but its very shitty so i might buy some new line tommorow and bend one up tomorow and and replace the old bits of hose with new ends.

Although the fluid is red I have a bad feeling that the clutches are cactus, would low vacuum at the modulator cuase slipping in 2nd and 3rd only, 1st gear still spins the tyres on acceleration

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

So you haven't tried a band adjustment...I'm just about to on mine....not bad for a supposedly already changed gearbox...dead unlucky to swap one that slips for one that slips.

#9 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

i think if it just needed a band adjustment it would slip in first.

#10 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

just made a new line with new rubber hose ends and rounder bends and its still the same

#11 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

just made a new line with new rubber hose ends and rounder bends and its still the same

FCCOOL, ive have a 6 cyl trimatic recoed 4years ago,
but only was used for no more than 6mths due to a manual covert.
no use to me and its in S/W Syd. owes me alot more but for $150.00
on pick-up its yours if it helps.
ph:0432344754

#12 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

A9X033, i will keep it in mind, the box in it allready had extra clutches etc and was supposedly built for the strip but it was built in the early 90's and sat for years under a bench and doesnt have all the goodies you can get now in a tri matic.
although i cant really afford it at the moment, if i cant sort it out i was going to replace it with something using all the new tricks and goodies like machined out with more clutch packs, billet servo etc that will live with alot of hp.
is the trimatic you have a commodore type with a full bellhousing and left hand side selector or the early type with the half bellhousing?

#13 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

A9X033, i will keep it in mind, the box in it allready had extra clutches etc and was supposedly built for the strip but it was built in the early 90's and sat for years under a bench and doesnt have all the goodies you can get now in a tri matic.
although i cant really afford it at the moment, if i cant sort it out i was going to replace it with something using all the new tricks and goodies like machined out with more clutch packs, billet servo etc that will live with alot of hp.
is the trimatic you have a commodore type with a full bellhousing and left hand side selector or the early type with the half bellhousing?

no worries FCCOOL, cant remember what type is but it was originally it was in a uc torrie and was recoed then refitted to a worked 6 banger. mate it no use to me must go so if you can get $100.00 together it will do for driving and the odd burn out.and of course changes perfect no slipps etc,like to help more but need money too other wise i would give it to ya.anyway good luck like your car too.

#14 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

[/quote]
no worries FCCOOL, cant remember what type is but it was originally it was in a uc torrie and was recoed then refitted to a worked 6 banger. mate it no use to me must go so if you can get $100.00 together it will do for driving and the odd burn out.and of course changes perfect no slipps etc,like to help more but need money too other wise i would give it to ya.anyway good luck like your car too.
[/quote]
what i meant was i cant really afford $1500+ to get a transmission built up

#15 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

[quote name='FCCOOL' date='04 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1267698635' post='487233']
[/quote]
[/quote]
what i meant was i cant really afford $1500+ to get a transmission built up
[/quote]
sweet man.

#16 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Had a similar problem with slipping in an auto I had years ago.
A friend of a friend was an auto expert so I had a chat to him.
His advice was to fill it to normal then add a litre extra.
Was sceptical but gave it a try.
It worked.

#17 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

This could be a clue?
Does it have the correct dipstick and tube?

If so, it's sounding like servo seals having read that it sat for so long.

Have you had the trans hot? I mean fully warmed up? Does it improve?

#18 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

This could be a clue?
Does it have the correct dipstick and tube?

If so, it's sounding like servo seals having read that it sat for so long.

Have you had the trans hot? I mean fully warmed up? Does it improve?

the day it started sliping i had been getting into it a bit , it was a hot day and the under car mounted cooler doesnt yet have the fan wired up, i thought maybe i cooked it but the oil is still bright red, the filler tube is modified to fit my car, I have slightly bent the tube and rewelded the bracket and ground some of the bracket away, the tube was not cut down, its a commodore tube on a commodore box, i also had this tube on my old box wich was also a commodore box and something bit off the end of my stick when it was in the old box so i ran that for about 6 years on the old box by just checking if there was fluid showing on the end of the stick wich seemed to work allthough not accurate. this box has been in the car for about a year.

#19 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

i went through 3 commodore trimatics behind my 308, the rebuild mob in adelaide i was gettin them from kept sending gearboxes that slipped and shuddered and 2nd use to go completely missing and was generally shite. ended up cracking it and took it to a rebuilder here and the gearbox was full of metallic flakes, he replaced the bands and said good luck, ive found that keeping the oil level low in it seems to do the trick, but only when its at a temp it likes.. cold it hates me, bit over the warm side it hates me too :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users