LC GTR rear suspension bushes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Has anyone replaced all the trailing arm bushes (8) on an lc/lj torana.
They look arkward as they are pressed through the sides of the arms.
Any tips would be good

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

Doing mine now...lots of WD40 and a big hammer and pipe or socket.
R

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:36 PM

I made up some of these - the cut in half bits are to stop the arm from crushing as you press the bushes in as they will definately do. They go between the U channel around the bush as you press them in.

Posted Image

I used a press with these bits of cut up pipe but if you don't have one, you can either belt them in with a hammer or weld end plates onto these pipes and use 1/2" threaded rod with some nuts if you don't want to damage paint etc.

If you are in Brissy, you can even borrow these ones if they are boomerangs.

M@

Edit: If you weld the plates on the end of these and use the threaded rod as I describe above, it is the perfect tool for doing the ones in the diff housing too.

Edited by Toranamat69, 14 April 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#4 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Good tips, ive have access to a press, i came to the same idea with the half pipes but its always better when you know its tried and tested. Thanks

#5 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

thought i'd add an update to the bushes, made the tools to pull them out, dead easy to remove, dont know why i never did it before.

Every rear suspension ive seen on the lc/lj's had out of shape rear bushes.

Its going to feel like new in the rear end!!

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

I hope your not replacing them all with urethane ones

#7 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

i found the easiest way to remove is with a slide hammer using a long bolt (to go through bush and a rear shockie washer
you only need to hit once unless it's really tight
:spoton: tom

#8 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Car:1970 LC GTR

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

whats wrong with all urethane? im about to do them all in mine.

Matt

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

it will handle better with some rubber in it, I think its the uppers that you use the rubber in or else it binds.

#10 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

it will handle better with some rubber in it, I think its the uppers that you use the rubber in or else it binds.

Correct Makka. At worst use urethane in teh bottom. but rubber in the top. If you do not the diff will be solid and say hello to uncontrolable rear end.

Cheers

#11 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

Wont use urethane, find them to be to stiff.

LC's and LJ's were'nt reknown for there comfortable ride so why make them harder.

My LJ back in '87 still had its old holden rubbers and handled beautifully, i tried the urethane option when they were all the rage and found it to stiff and hard.

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

Superfly,

I ran all polyurethane in my rear end and after about 10,000K's the upper front bushes both split right through as the polyurethane cannot flex enough for the range of suspension travel. I can take a photo of them if you want - I stumbled across my old arms last weekend when cleaning up.

It will also effect your handling too (in a negative way) if the bushes do not allow it to move through it's range of travel. The car will be trying to lift the inside rear wheel on a turn.

Compliant rubber bushes are delibrately used for this reason when they originally designed the things.

For a pure drag car, poly would be fine all round.

M@

#13 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

For a pure drag car, poly would be fine all round.

Execpt for the pure loss of traction that a stiff rear end will cause, Not to mention axle tramp as the diff tries to tear itself out of the car, very similar to the example of the one above. I would not use nolethane or any cheapo product when it comes to suspension. Even my sway bar up teh front only runs harderned rubber in the radius rods. the link D bushes are the standard rubber. Some give is good. It means things do nto bend and have a chance to last.

Cheers

#14 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

When i stripped down my lc gtr suspension the only rubbers that had been replaced was the 2 radius ones.
Both were distorted out of shape and wouldnt return to there original form whereas the other original gmh rubbers were worn out but still remained the same shape.
Says alot for urethane type rubbers!
Keep the original feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users