greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Now this come from experience with a flywheel coming loose too often in another car. We did almost all that you ahve done and found out that the crankshaft was cracked in No6 B/E journal and not far from falling apart with major consequences.

Before you go to doing more radical things get under the car and before you pull everything apart put a dial indicator on the outer clutch face of the flywheel and get a mate to turn it over slowly by hand and check the run out in the flywheel. (Take the plugs out first it will be easier to turn over)
There are specs in the workshop manuals as to what the runout tolerances are but for what you are doing it should be absolutely minimal.

If the run out is excessive it could be one of two things either a warped flywheel or a bent/cracked crankshaft.

Once the runout has been determined
pull the flywheel off take it to the engine builder and get him to check it for warpness/bend.
being an ultra lightweight flywheel there is every chance that this could be warped due to high revs and heat.

If the flywheel is ok then it is further in the engine.
Next is to check the end of the crank for run out

If there is any/too much runout in the crank then that will be what is causing the bolts to break/loosen.
The cause may not be that it is out of balance but the fact that it is either bent or cracked.

I would suspect no 6 B/E journal allowing the flange end of the crank to bend if the problem is in the crankshaft

cheers
peter

thanks piquet, youve given me something to think about.

The FJ ran around for 10 years with a cast iron flywheel, copper shim and red loctite, didnt rattle loose once. this is using 7/16 arp 351 clevo nascar bolts (dont have to cut them to size)
put a steel flywheel on it along with a roller cam. Used the copper shim use moly lube and did what arp told us to.
took 3 years to come off, so scrapped the copper shim but still used moly lube, came off in 4 meetings.
did the same thing over again and it took 2 meetings, 1 meeting and then eventually only 2 runs down the quarter before bolts loose (cant push the clutch in because they are touching the bolts). Maybe crank is cracked or bent?
blue motor crank btw

Edited by greens nice, 18 March 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#52 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

before you go drilling and tapping the crank for the bigger bolts (which needs to be done with the crank out of the engine to get the most accurate results)
I would do all the other things that I ahve sugested first. They take time and careful consideration but don't cost anything as opposed to jumping in with both feet and costing money and it still may be a cracked/bent crank or a warped flywheel. And all you have to show is bigger boots that may not be able to be used.

A crack test of all components in an engine of the HP that you are talking about is very cheap insurance. Also consider lifing some of the more critical components such as B/e bolts and flywheel bolts. After all they do tend to cop a fair hammering and fatigue is a drivers worst enemy same is for engine internals
cheers
peter

#53 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:42 AM

cheers for that pete. i certainly will be checking those things when the car comes back to me.
and yes fr a small amount of work its worth checking those few things just in case and to also know they are all good. ie runout.

#54 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have had a crack in No6 blue mtr crank. The vibration used to be pronounced when you put your foot on the clutch and changed gear at 6000+ rpm. It would also vibrate the harmonic balancer bolt off (that I had drilled)

I also used to vibrate a lighten cast flywheel off and I ended up putting 4 x 10mm allen key bolts inbetween the other bolts. In total had 10 bolts holding the flywheel on. Never vibrated this flywheel off even with No6 crack.

In my next motor I put in an alluminium flywheel and a heavy B&M (dont make no more) harmonic balancer with a black mtr crank. I think the alluminium changes the harmonics as I only used the standard bolt holes on the back of the crank with aftermarket bolts and have never vibrated it off in over 15 years of 500rwhp turbo work. The motor is pretty smooth even around the renown 6000+rpm harmonic area.

#55 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

what about drilling the boltheads and lock wiring them as another locking method? but i agree you should address the problem of what is causing the bolts to come loose.

#56 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

what about drilling the boltheads and lock wiring them as another locking method? but i agree you should address the problem of what is causing the bolts to come loose.

hey mate,
thats what i did last time and i ended up breaking 3 bolts off.
think we may have found the problem tho. well im hoping anyways.

#57 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

I used to run the B&M Steel balancer on my old 202 and that, plus extra dowells locating the flywheel, seemed to help control the harmonics.

#58 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

hey mate how many dowles did you run with litre8?

cheers

#59 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

hey mate,
thats what i did last time and i ended up breaking 3 bolts off.
think we may have found the problem tho. well im hoping anyways.

how big did you drill the holes?? what size wire did you use?

#60 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

how big did you drill the holes?? what size wire did you use?

Waste of effort IMHO.
If something is vibrating, all the wire might do is stop the bolts falling out.
It won't stop the components fretting against each other (due to the vibration), thus causing wear, thus effectively making the bolts loose.

#61 _355 EH_

_355 EH_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

personaly i prefer the red cranks as they rev out quicker and get through the bad hamonic area quicker, i have seen 2 aftermarket balancers machined and doubled up one on the front of the other. also i have seen a chev balancer modified to fit and fluid style balancers fitted, while they dont totaly take all harmonics out they do shift them up to a higher RPM range, providing there are no other factors causing the problem, these tricks can help quite alot. alot of drag engines in rails dont even run a harmonic balancer but then they all run autos, maybe the convertor does act as a damper, who knows? i try and build all my power by 7000rpm max for saftey sake on holden 6s havent had any dramas at that rpm so far. let us know what you find?

#62 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

yeah i will mate for sure.
it is very interesting to me to see what may or maynot be causing all these problems. if nothing else then later on down the track im going to go auto anyway. so this for me is only a temp fix.

#63 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

When you really think about it, a torque converter is a really big fluid filled dampener.

Who gives a frOck which end of the crank its on, the crank doesnt care.

Cheers.

#64 _355 EH_

_355 EH_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

very good point Bomber

#65 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

yeah is a very good point. cheers

#66 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Oldjohnno made a post in a thread a while ago about harmonics in Holden 6 cranks.
Made sense to me.
I think if you can find that post (damned if I can) the crank DOES care.

EDIT: Found it!!!!!!!!

OK then....
I'm assuming you're familiar with crankshaft torsional vibrations. Quick summary goes like this: the crank is being continually subjected to impulsive forces from combustion and compression pressures as well as inertial loadings from accelerating and deccelerating the reciprocating bits. These forces vary in direction and magnitude and tend to make the crank motion somewhat jerky rather than spinning at a constant speed. Now the crank isn't perfectly rigid and is somewhat restrained at one end by the flywheel and the load but is relatively free at the front. Because of this there is some relative twisting forward and back between the ends of the crank. Providing this isn't excessive it's not a problem (say not much more than 1 or 2 degrees). Thing is though the crank (because of its springiness) has its own natural resonance or frequency that it wants to vibrate at, a bit like a guitar string. And if the frequency of the impulses fed into the crank matches the natural resonating frequency of the crank (or a multiple thereof) then things can get ugly. If left uncontrolled the amplitude of the torsional vibrations will jump dramatically. This isn't just a gentle buzz either, the vibrations can be violent enough to break the crank, or shear the flywheel bolts or shake the rim off the balancer. Incidentally, it's quite common for straight six crankshafts to resonate at a frequency that corresponds with 6000 - 6500 rpm. Provided you can stay above or below these critical speeds then vibration is usually negligible or at least manageable. Controlling the vibrations is a separate story. A good, understandable explanation can be found here.
Now for spark scatter. If the snout of the crank is vibrating torsionally then these will be fed into the camshaft as well via the drive gears. Incidentally the camshaft will have it's own natural resonance that may add to or detract from the cranks vibration. Driven from the cam is the distributor, which is trying to accurately time the sparks at the same time as having the living shit shaken from it. And the centrifugal advance mechanism is a set of springs and bobweights - a mechanism that is seemingly especially designed to be confused by torsional vibrations.. Spark scatter is the end result. Instead of all cylinders being fired at say 32 degs, some may be set off at 38 degrees while others are fired at 20.. Or maybe the trigger will become so confused it doesn't fire at all. The solution is to control the vibrations or at least try to isolate them from the cam and dissy (eg. belt drive cams as used in ProStockers). Ideally you'd do away with the dissy altogether and use a crank trigger instead, and this is what is commonly used in less ancient engine designs. Preferably position the trigger at the flywheel end where the vibration amplitude is slightly less than at the front.
The puzzling thing about the original problem is that the dyno is the ideal place to locate and rectify these sorts of problems. And it happened on a dyno??
Still reading? You need to get a life...

Edited by rodomo, 30 March 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#67 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

Yep rodo makes a fantastic point, as i was about to point out (he beat me).

As Oldjohnno correctly stated, doubling the weight of a harmonic balancer has half the affect of doubling the diameter. Now into my reasoning, if you were to go extreme and bolt a Torque converter to the FRONT of the crank shaft and run a manual flywheel and clutch, you may just hold the engine together.

I know very little about cranks, but from what i gather a cast iron crank cant handle much of a jarring motion, no matter how good the dampener, and if you have a real close study of whats happening during the four strokes of combustion even with a balanced engine you will begin to realize that the crank and balancer have a pretty hard job.

BUT does a torque converter it fix the problem?? frOck no.

This is where Oldjohnno and Rodo's post makes sence, its like putting a band aid over a jugular wound. Doing stuff like that perhaps leads to the block splitting up from the welsh plugs???

Throw into the equation the stupidly short rod ratio of a 202 and you have a recepie for a hole in a block.

But i still maintain my comment, you could put a fluid filled dampener on the front of teh crank and a fly wheel on the back and it would be the same diff as a weight on the front and a torque converter on the back, after all over the 720 degrees of crank shat rotation we have one cylinder firing every 120 degrees regardless of how far from which end of the crank it is....

Unless im massively missing the point?

#68 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

My interest was in the "spark scatter" in this thread:
http://www.gmh-toran...=1

#69 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:38 AM

Yep rodo makes a fantastic point, as i was about to point out (he beat me).

As Oldjohnno correctly stated, doubling the weight of a harmonic balancer has half the affect of doubling the diameter. Now into my reasoning, if you were to go extreme and bolt a Torque converter to the FRONT of the crank shaft and run a manual flywheel and clutch, you may just hold the engine together.

I know very little about cranks, but from what i gather a cast iron crank cant handle much of a jarring motion, no matter how good the dampener, and if you have a real close study of whats happening during the four strokes of combustion even with a balanced engine you will begin to realize that the crank and balancer have a pretty hard job.

BUT does a torque converter it fix the problem?? frOck no.

This is where Oldjohnno and Rodo's post makes sence, its like putting a band aid over a jugular wound. Doing stuff like that perhaps leads to the block splitting up from the welsh plugs???

Throw into the equation the stupidly short rod ratio of a 202 and you have a recepie for a hole in a block.

But i still maintain my comment, you could put a fluid filled dampener on the front of teh crank and a fly wheel on the back and it would be the same diff as a weight on the front and a torque converter on the back, after all over the 720 degrees of crank shat rotation we have one cylinder firing every 120 degrees regardless of how far from which end of the crank it is....

Unless im massively missing the point?

Interesting post Bomber.

I think a lot of people are still attacking the problem from the wrong end. Instead of trying to manage the vibration (or worse still, ignoring the vibration and trying to deal with its effects) shouldn't we try to prevent the vibrations from becoming excessive in the first place? Eg. ultra light rods and pistons with longer rods, and using a flywheel and balancer mass that shifts the harmonic range higher or lower than the engines powerband? You'd think that this would be the obvious thing to do yet some are still putting all their efforts into fitting kryptonite flywheel bolts.. It's a shame 202s have so little rod-to-camshaft clearance; I suspect aluminium rods would be of benefit for their shock dampening ability as much as their light weight.

Fitting a massive dampener (like a torque converter) to one or both ends would certainly calm things down but again there are problems attached to dampening the vibrations in this way. Basically the damper absorbs the velocity spikes (a bit like an axles' shock absorber) and converts the energy to heat. So the energy that went into creating the spike isn't recovered by the crankshaft and the net result is some loss of usable power. Yet another reason to put more effort into preventing the vibrations and less into dampening them. I think the heat factor is often underestimated, and is the reason the rubber in bonded balancers breaks down after sustained high rpms. Fluid dampers on diesel engines often have finned casings to help disperse the heat, and I've been told that Fluidamprs are no longer used or legal in Nascar because of heat related issues. Pendulum style balancers aren't subject to the heat problems, but I'm yet to test their effectiveness.

Cast iron cranks do have less ultimate strength than a steel crank, but at the same time they also have some amount of inherent vibration dampening - bang both cranks with a hammer and the steel crank will ring louder and longer. So provided you don't exceed the cast cranks limits (through vibration or excessive boost etc) then they aren't really a bad choice. No matter what you use though, if you were gonna push a Holden six hard I think you'd have to accept that it would have a finite life and be prepared to change it out from time to time. And possibly the block is in the same boat.

#70 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the interesting read gents.

Definitely something you dont always think about.

Ive still got all the contacts saved to get billet cranks made by spool..... :D

#71 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

A billet crank might solve your problem (theoretically can perfectly), but who's going to design it so that the counterweighting is actually adequately effective?

As far as a 'solution' for the average Holden 6 hotrodder, focus on a lightweight conrod & piston combination, gives you a good opportunity to go full floaters and get a superior rod ratio. That applies to either crank combo, particularly 202 though.

#72 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

A billet crank might solve your problem (theoretically can perfectly), but who's going to design it so that the counterweighting is actually adequately effective?

As far as a 'solution' for the average Holden 6 hotrodder, focus on a lightweight conrod & piston combination, gives you a good opportunity to go full floaters and get a superior rod ratio. That applies to either crank combo, particularly 202 though.

Better counterweighting would certainly make life easier for the block, but I'm not sure it would completely solve the torsional vibrations. Increasing the main journal diameter would be a step in the right direction.
Designing a truly fully counterweighted crank would be (almost) trivially easy; in effect it would be six individually balanced cranks joined together. In other words, it would be the same as what the rest of the world has been using in high rpm applications for years. Like this RB30 unit for example:
Posted Image

#73 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

Looks like exactly the same basic design as a blue/black motor crank....What am i missing??

#74 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Looks like exactly the same basic design as a blue/black motor crank....What am i missing??

All the throws are fully counterbalanced, on the blue/black crank only 1 and 6 are fully CB'd 180deg from the pin, 2,3,4 and 5 are only partially CB'd and the indexing is offset to balance out the bigger weights on 1 and 6.

#75 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

Just went and had a good long look at one, i see now.

Surely this is fixable with a bit of tricky machining, so long as you can get the bob weight down low enough to not need so much counterweight. Looks fairly simple.

I'll keep my eyes out for a rusty .010/.010 (sort of useless) and if i find one run it through the band saw. Then i can weigh each segment and work out what to take off to get them all the same, and where to take it off to get the center ones lined up with the crank pin. That with some other ideas i had could allow for some sort of a revolution lol.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users