Guys help me out,

296 lift
75'-29' EX
33'-69'IN

Duration @50".222
Ground by Clive Cams

How does this compare to a 286 Crane.

Im f$%#n lost, lol

The main reason i ask is i think this cam is too big for my 308, big valves, performer, quaddy, flat tops, 9.8 comp, 2500 stall, 3.55 diff.

All this setup and i couldnt do a burnout to save my life

Cheers
JNR_ATE

Edited by JNR_ATE, 15 April 2006 - 11:03 PM.

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:41 AM

mate I'm no cam guru..ok I'm no guru full stop but playing with Dyno 2000 for a 307 chev (I was just too lazy to do a 308..a 307 was in the list) but there is something not right with the specs you supplied I think.

296 thou is small ish and the duration (according to dyno ) is in the vicinity of .280

the numbers don't match..to me

#3 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

296 thou is small ish and the duration (according to dyno ) is in the vicinity of .280

the numbers don't match..to me

I would suggest that the lift is at the lobe... multiply by the rocker ratio for valve lift.

The timing figures are seat or advertised duration, not 050 so it would be 222 @ 050 and 296 degrees advertised or seat to seat duration.

The Clive cam is a bit smaller than the Crane 286, check the installation if you have no grunt, it should work fine with your combo.

#4 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

Ok, this still doesnt help. lol
Cam was dialled in at 4 degree advance off top dead , it would have to be way retarded for it to run like this. Its like it floods up, the rev range spec is 2500-6400.

Any other suggestions would be great before i buy a 286 and just slap it in,(drastic actions)

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

how much initial timing have you got on dizzy?

#6 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:01 AM

12 degrees static advance, dizzy isnt curved to match cam yet either, i pulled the heads off to have a look at the combustion chamber and the tops of the pistons are black with carbon, chambers are all covered and plugs dark.

To me the cam seems retarded and would explain the not being able to do a burn out and shit fuel economy.

The only thing that gets me is , if the cam was retarded that much how would it idle, wouldnt it run shit the whole way through its range. It also has shit house vacuum aswell..

Engine idles fine and drive well, just shit economy.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#7 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:37 AM

ask jabba about retarted cams he had the same prob ,also if its way too rich it will also have no power down low.

#8 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

if anything they run smoother at idle when retarted because it makes the cam seem smaller

#9 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

if anything they run smoother at idle when retarted because it makes the cam seem smaller

Your've got that back to front. Advancing the cam makes it appear smaller to the engine.

#10 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

Shifts the powerband down too?

#11 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

Something aint right, like i said it idles fine and the cam doesnt very "lumpy"
I t has got nothing down low but once its revving its great.

Are Straight cut Timing gears are just as easy to do cam timing as a 9 key way timing chain setup

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#12 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

im talking at idle,i know advancing the cam brings the power forward,what im saying is that when the cams retarted the intake valve opens later creating a smoother idle,so they still idle well but are down on power i did not say it was better to be retarted or would make better power. if you read my post properly you will see im only metioning the idle quality not where the power is,i was answering jnr-ates question of why it still runs fine ,a retarted cam will still run fine but is low on power especially down low,

if the intake valve opens early the power will be better down low but it wont idle as smoothly whenever you change the intake timing to open earlier than needed the idle suffers the more you move the intake centreline farward, far out you guys are quick to jump on people :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users