Cleaning a fuel tank for welding

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

The lower explosive limit of petrol fumes (LEL) is 1.4% by volume and the upper explosive limit (UEL) is 7.6%. This means that in a fuel tank, the percentage of petrol fumes need to be within those two %ages to cause an explosion

The LEL for diesel fuel is typically 3.5% by volume and the UEL is 6.9%; ie, a higher LEL and a smaller range than petrol

So both are quite limited when you really look at it

Are those % for normal air Shane? Does it depend on the temperture of the ignition source?
Maybe it looks a narrow range, but how often do those particular mixture ratios occur in a typically closed container that has still has small amounts of liquid petrol changing state?

#27 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

A well known car parts cleaning/stripping company in Adelaide steams fuel tanks prior to any work. It sounds cheap and nasty, but basically all they do is get a cheap kettle without a power cutoff, seal the kettle output to the tank filler, turn on the kettle, and let it steam through the tank for 5 to 10 minutes.

I don't think I'd try the exhaust gas through the fuel tank trick, even though I've heard of it many times, as most engines run rich at idle, leaving unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Pete, I think you've taken all the sensible precautions for the type of work that you're going to do. Whe you've fuinished your tank, can you do one for me?? :spoton:

#28 _efi-202_

_efi-202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

send your apprentice out the back with the tank, petrol soaked rag, and a lighter. just empty the tank from as much fuel as possible first. :D

#29 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

nah chopper
get someone else to do it :sucker:
but i recon that if it's washed out with soapy water first (as in really shake hard )
then rinse the detergent should brake down any remaining fuel as it's an oil product.

BUT MATCH IS QUICKER
:tease:
CHEERS TOM

#30 _efi-202_

_efi-202_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

wouldnt soapy water taint the tank? i would have thought soap would leave residue in the tank. a good rinsing with petrol once its done should remove most of it tho.

#31 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

whenever you wash anything automotive in soapy water it hasto be rinsed
( then coated if rusting is going to be a problem)
cheers tom

#32 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

The lower explosive limit of petrol fumes (LEL) is 1.4% by volume and the upper explosive limit (UEL) is 7.6%. This means that in a fuel tank, the percentage of petrol fumes need to be within those two %ages to cause an explosion

The LEL for diesel fuel is typically 3.5% by volume and the UEL is 6.9%; ie, a higher LEL and a smaller range than petrol

So both are quite limited when you really look at it

Are those % for normal air Shane? Does it depend on the temperture of the ignition source?
Maybe it looks a narrow range, but how often do those particular mixture ratios occur in a typically closed container that has still has small amounts of liquid petrol changing state?

Those % are for the normal air you and I breathe. The ignition temp makes bugger all diff. If you are below the LEL there is not enough vapour to ingite causing and explosion. If above the UEL then there is not enough oxygen so support the rapid compustion required for an explosion to take place.
Regardless of these % how many of you are carless with your oxy set. Acetylene has a LEL of 2.2% and a UEL of 82.5% which is farking huge. It pays not to think about it to much :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users