- - - - -

the gtr project, almost ready for paint!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:14 AM

Okay guys, she is back. After just finishing the bare metal by hand on the body beforew uni went back, I have now cut out all of the rust (everywhere) and replaced each panel, I have metal filled every hole (not bogged) and am lead wiping the b ody in two weeks.

I need to get rid of the grease underneath to start spraying as I just got back more chrome, zinc and have 2 paked nearly everyhting. The cross member and diff are at the sand blasters, so when that comes back, I will be 2 paking them also in jet black and metalic silver.

So far the panels I have cut and re-welded:

- Both rear lower quarters.
- both front guard lower panels.
- tunnel.
- rear lips.
- bottom of boot latch support.
- spare tyre well.
- door hinge plates x 4.
- rear parcel shelf.
- drivers lower door seal.

You name it, I've done it, also had to knock out a bit of the chassis with an oxe. Other people woiuld have bought another car, but it is a genuine gtr, also having people coming round and saying "your car is f#*ked mate" (with a laugh!) it makes you want to prove them wrong and get the car done. My goal is to get it done and watch them in the rear vision mirror, then who will laugh?

Car is getting 2 paked in jet black in two months, so everything has to be 'PERFECT!!!!'

Take care guys,

Adam.

#2 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

pics :tease:

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:46 AM

aaaaaaawesome! Make sure you get some good photos of all the welding you do. I haven't researched much about the welding involved in LC/LJ panels but I'd be interested in finding out with visual aids :rolleyes:

Cheers buddy, good luck with all the work!

#4 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

I need to get rid of the grease underneath to start spraying 

Adam, his is were it gets hard but worth it in the end. I'm glad i have a glad shell. This took 6mths. underneath in 2pac Should look very nice in black :spoton:

#5 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

Well I love the cutting and welding as you get big results in little time. Underneath, I'm not sure whether or not to use the wire wheel, like I did under the arches or steam clean it? What do you fellas think? Any help would be great!

:rockon:

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

I wire wheeled under my car with a 9 iunch grinder, came up a treat.
I cant wait to see some pics of the GTR :rockon:

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like you started out with a typical rusty shitter torana, glad you've got stuck into it and revived it.

Better to have 1 back on the road then one dead.

#8 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

Well I love the cutting and welding as you get big results in little time. Underneath, I'm not sure whether or not to use the wire wheel, like I did under the arches or steam clean it? What do you fellas think? Any help would be great!

:rockon:

Have you done the floor pans yet? How far are you going to go with underneath the car?

#9 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

I don't mean to be rude or anythign here.
But I honestly don't understand the point of spraying underneath in 2 pac/powdercoating etc. and going to -that- much effort unless it's going to be a show car and have mirrors under it etc.
Otherwise it's going to just get caked with road gunk and beaten to hell from stones etc. anyway.

Is there any real reason/benefit?
I'd just paint it normally myself, save $ for other things since you can't see underneath there anyway :)

Edited by Loki, 17 April 2006 - 09:25 PM.

#10 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

Loki when you do a ground up restoration on a car, to me that means from the ground up!, meaning everything is the same or better than new! I will send some pics soon of just some of my parts, I have stripped boosters, guages, etc and gold zinc plated parts that you don't see, or wont benefit from. There are fair few chromed parts, everything, the reason........

I'M OBSESSED!! and I love it! I have learnt so many new things and can weld with anything, mig, tig, arc, paint with anything, including 2pac, etc, build engines, rebuild anything, everything is getting done by myself. I wouldn't have known how to do half of these things, but now I do, and it is awesome!

It may not be an award winning show car in the end, well to some it may, but to me its still neat street. A show car you never drive, you push it (like a big matchbox car), this is boring and stupid! my car will be driven, but I will be driving a car that IU built and I know everything is perfect!

Take care, will post pics and update end of this week.

thanks, Adam. :rockon:

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Im with Adam, people including my father thought I was made, removed all the factory sound deadener from under the car, got it all clean and applied a new Wurth deadener product, every part under the car has been detailed or painted etc.
I spent the last 3 hours tonight buffing/polishing my stainless exhaust, I cant help it.

I know next to noone will see under my car, but too me when Im working on a car I want it to be clean, so when I get under there and need to fix or replace something I dont get grease and shit all over me, I can work under my car all day long without needing to clean my hands come the end of the day.

When people tell me Im crazy I correct them, its called pride in your possesions/work. You have to have some level of respect for your work, if not might as well have a bogged up heap of shit torana like the other 99% out there.

#12 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:11 AM

sounds like youve put in alot of hard work and time. Should come up a treat when finished.

Best part is the satisfaction you get once you've completed it, Knowing that it was restored by yourself to standard better than when it rolled out from factory!

Keep up the great work :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users