308 red comparted to 304

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Hey all, just wondering if there is any tell tale whats of telling the difference between a 308 red block and well even blue, black and 304 blocks? And i mean besides engine number and besides anything that can be changed, like putting EFI heads on a red block at first look you would assume its a 304... i need to know if there is anything totally unique on the 308 red block that like can simply be unbolted and will tell it apart..

reason i ask is because im using a 308 red block with top end injected and the engine number was most when it was decked, and i dont want the transport depo tryin to make me run cat converters because they think its a 304...

Cheers
-Clint

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

308 cast into the side of it? its a bit of a giveaway.

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

The engine numbers and what is stamped on the block is the giveaway but from first glance looking directly at the motor the average person could not really tell what block it was, this might be different to someone with a trained eye eg a rego inspector.

The conversion to EFI is not too difficult but it might be a bigger task than first thought, at least that is my experience.
The exhaust needs changing as does the addition of an electric fuel pump. You need a new or modified wiring harness and the computer, the need to hook up a return fuel line and the list goes on. One thing I see quite often which is NOT necessary is the removal or butchering of the heater box...
Any rego inspector worth his salt will know what the different engine numbers (prefix) represent.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 18 April 2006 - 11:46 AM.

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Unless NSW laws have recently cahnged, you don't have to run cats (don't ask me why), been down that path with my mates injected 308.

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

Same thing ^^^^ applies in the ACT - RED, only on the 304's are cats required here (to the best of my knowledge) I was quite surprised by this fact when I enquired with my friendly rego technichal advisor.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 18 April 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#6 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

When we built up the ute, we were told the laws go off the compliance plate, not the engine fitted, so legally we didn't have to fit Cats. In the end we did fit them to save any future hassles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users