76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I think it looks pretty cool too and it might even be practical but... what about the tail lights?

#52 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

To give some detail to the differences as I understand it, I have looked at a few genuine A9X's and could not see any differences at all, at a glance. LX's are quite different to UC's so I wondered about this too.

So what was done to the A9X, a normal LX floor pan was cut above the diff and a patch panel was made and welded in to give more room to the larger diff and slightly different geometry, this patch was incorporated into the floor pan of the UC hence the myth that A9X and UC the same. The UC has the spare tire location changed so not the same.

Following on from this one of the ways to tell if a A9X was genuine was to look for this patch panel welding in the floor above the diff as it was too expensive a modification to make on a replica hence scammer would be caught out, now however with the silly money being paid it would be a well worth while mod for a scammer to do, however thanks to the Internet, these forums and the efforts of guys like Red it is much easier to get the history and variefy the identity of an would be imposter's car.

Oh and as a final thought, on elitism, my wife has a gesture using her pinky finger for someone feels the need to boast about the elite nature of their car in their profile name...

Signed

BlownInjectedBigBlockedGenuineBrockA9XHatchbackOwnerOnNitirous

is that gesture the same as the nsw speeding ads from a couple of years back?

#53 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

I have read that many LX race shells were modified to accept the A9X diff using a patch available from Holden. I did see a patch for sale on eBay once.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hmm ok.

Note the swaybar mounting points, not seen on regular LXs either.

#55 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hmm ok.

Note the swaybar mounting points, not seen on regular LXs either.

Looks like a chunk of UC once modified to run twin exhaust.......NOT an A9X Patch.

Can you imagine the work to tack that in?

#56 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

LOL these non A9X people are funny. yes ^^^ thats just a UC rear section. why would someone bother even gutting that out. unless you remove the back seat from a A9X and see for your self you will never know. and heath you cant just tell by looking at a A9X at a show to see how the floor plate is bolted in.

Edited by l31m21vd69, 04 May 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#57 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Leaky, I like the retro hatchand I would love to see it in the HDT race paint.

With regards to the "Secret squirrel" stuff about the rear end, it has been mentioned before, on here and in various magazines over time. There are way too many other differences between the standard car and the A9X for it to be "earth shattering" that this info gets out..
I can tell you that I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I could get the floor pan patch panel and the T10 Tunnel patch remade..
The answer is, yes I could..
Will I?? No I won't..

With regards to the whole LX v's UC handling, etc I own both, two RTS 9/77 LX's and an RTS 3/79 UC.
I can tell you in stock form, the UC wins hands down. It does handle so much better than both of the LX's.
I think that one of the reasons for this is that Holden really had the RTS sorted out by the time of the UC..
What I would be interested in knowing is did the race teams upgrade to UC RTS front ends after 1978? I might have to Ask Sheppo this the next time I am speaking to him.

cheers
Mick

#58 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

and heath you cant just tell by looking at a A9X at a show to see how the floor plate is bolted in.

I was responding to the question about spare wheel location is pretty bloody easy to see at a carshow "ohh hey mate, nice car, I've been trying to study this and that on A9Xs, would you mind opening up the boot so that I could have a quick look at the standard setup...", that's what the point that sparked the discussion was anyway.

Could someone who's willing to contribute something meaningful to a discussion explain what the actual geometry difference with the UC top arms is, I know that they use the same arms as any other box, but I've never seen a UC Sals out of a car let alone compared one to a Banjo. Are the triangulation angles different? Are the pivot points on the floorpan higher up? Because that would make the geometry a lot better. How about the height of the top arm pivot points on the diff, in relation to the axle axis.

Edited by Heath, 04 May 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#59 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

What I would be interested in knowing is did the race teams upgrade to UC RTS front ends after 1978? I might have to Ask Sheppo this the next time I am speaking to him.

cheers
Mick

I think I can answer that for you, No they would not have downgraded to UC spec front end.
Harry Firth had a black LX Hatch which he played with and did a lot of development work on and eventually came up with the the specification / geogemtry for the A9X with heavy duty parts like stub axles and vented discs. Holden put this into production as the A9X Torana, and also used the same geomtrey setup but with standard solid disc brakes and lighter stub axles in the up coming UC, hence UC is downgraded A9X

Oh before I get attacked by the detail nazis, there was a bit more too it then that I know, but that is the basic story as I understand it

One such detail would be the A9X had solid bushes made up to replace rubber bushes for mounting the steering rack, however when the UC came out the steering rack was changed to a solid mount and bushes were done away with.

#60 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Are the triangulation angles different?

Yes to that one, they are the same as HQ to suit the cast ears on the Salisbury diff

#61 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

On the question of handling Lj LC quick light and figgetie
LH granma special with understeer
LX more of the same
LX with RTS, (just sway bar and shock changes) much better less roll
UC now you are starting to get a car that is nice to drive thru the corners
A9X almost the best of the lot although still a bit average by todays standards and a real let down if you expecting something fantastic
A9X race car, (no I havn't driven one but I know three people who own one) way better again a really top car that does everything as you would think it would, makes the standard A9X look like a very average ride

#62 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

cheers
Mick

Hey Mick, just remember that the A9X used different stub axles etc so there would be no direct complete bolt in upgrade altho there would have been fine tuning by swapping top arms and location to suit driving style...

#63 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

cheers
Mick

Hey Mick, just remember that the A9X used different stub axles etc so there would be no direct complete bolt in upgrade altho there would have been fine tuning by swapping top arms and location to suit driving style...

Yeah, true... As you said, I too was refering to differences in top and bottom arms and their geometry and locating holes, etc.

I have to look at some info at home, but I was under the impression that there were some changes from LX A9X to UC with regards to RTS.

cheers
Mick

#64 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

I did see a patch for sale on eBay once.

In Andy's defence , I saw this come up as well and it was listed as an A9X rear half that was saved from a wrecked out hatch
He didnt get the rest of it unfortunately it went to the scrap yard
I dont intend putting up the sellers name but rest assured he was a genuine A9X owner.
Here is another pic that Andy didnt show.

Posted Image

#65 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Just because an LH/LX flare makes an LH/LX look "tough" doesn't mean it is going to do the same thing to every other vehicle. If it did you would see people putting them onto VN Commodores.

People did try putting them on vehicles of that era back in the day, I recall many Cortinas had them.

You have to match up the right set of flares to the era/stylings of the car and some cars just look wrong with them as it doesn't fit the original 'look'.

It seems to me the UC gets a bum wrap because of two things... the tail lights and no V8.

Proof the General had never intended the UC to be a 'muscle' car. That's not to say you can't have fun modding one for the drags, racing, etc.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 06 May 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#66 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Both wrong.

Comments like this give me the shits !

You can't just say "you're wrong" - anybody can say that, actually reminds me of 2 primary school kids arguing with "yes it is - no its not".

TELL ME WHY ITS WRONG

people like you and others dont need to know why its wrong. if you want to know go and buy a A9X. some things on our cars need to be made not public.

Thats a pretty nasty attack on a fellow forum member, mr numbers.

"people like you"

What are people like niterida actually like?? are they just like niterida or is it something they are like that is definitely unlike what everyone is actually like? or is he similarly like what we are like, but different enough to not be like what we are like? :dontknow:

Im genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on this issue.

The market for knock offs seems to have definitely died down in parallel with the prices of the "rare" cars. As for the A9X floorpan thing, I have an absolute shipload of random HDT, GMH and other internal releases, drawings, pricings etc etc in a suitcase that belongs to Karlies pa, I really need to get around to going through it and see whats there, it might have something completely top secret....

#67 _A9XONE_

_A9XONE_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Guys I found this on the internet the other day,don't go much on bonnet scoop.
Cheers
A9XONEPosted Image

Attached Files

#68 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

with people such as your self around how is any one going to know if they are buying a genuine a9x, nothing to say that any car is actualy what its ment to be realy unless you personaly brought it new from holden, many yrs have passed and there are plenty of frauds out there and people that will spend the time to find out what this floor plate bit you are talking about is ment to exactly look like and will make it and put it in. 3 prev slrs i owned i would say they are not the orignal shell but how will you ever no

l31m21vd69 [/quote]
people like you and others dont need to know why its wrong. if you want to know go and buy a A9X. some things on our cars need to be made not public.

Edited by lx304hatch, 23 May 2010 - 01:29 PM.

#69 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

Guys I found this on the internet the other day,don't go much on bonnet scoop.
Cheers
A9XONEPosted Image

Good looking UC - probably the best I have seen. But the grille still looks a bit funny - maybe the chrome surround should be black too, or even orange ?
Its pretty much how I imagine mine will look when it is done.

#70 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Not bad at all.....think i would leave the chrome around the grill and paint the bumbers though

Waldorf

#71 _mandytorry_

_mandytorry_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

I would love to know if Leo Pruneau ever did any scetches of a potential uc a9x at holden . I think that would answer some of the discussian about how to make a uc look tough . Leo did wonders to make the lh/lx and hx/z look great. Wonder if it is possible to get to him to find out. Any ideas ?

#72 _rollo_

_rollo_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

I think this is what you are looking for.

Posted Image

Courtesy of Leakey.

#73 _mandytorry_

_mandytorry_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Now we're talking. where did this come from, ive never seen this picture. Do you have any more pictures or information about this version ? Looks real factory or at least a pro. job. Love it

#74 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

Now we're talking. where did this come from, ive never seen this picture. Do you have any more pictures or information about this version ? Looks real factory or at least a pro. job. Love it

its called photoshop i think.....not my cup of tea

#75 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

[quote name='roodog' date='31 May 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1275276143' post='511258']
[quote name='mandytorry' date='31 May 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1275274324' post='511254']
[/quote]

its called photoshop i think.....not my cup of tea
[/quote]
C'mon Roo admit it, you dont drink tea cos they dont sell it at bottle-O's

;) Stavros

[quote name='rollo' date='31 May 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1275273136' post='511249']
[quote name='Big T' date='29 April 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1272544706' post='502893']
I think this is what you are looking for.

Posted Image

Courtesy of Leakey.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Looks sweet ^^^^^^, I could easily live with that.

Herne

Posted Image

Courtesy of Leakey.
[/quote]

I could easily live with that, niceeeeeeeee

Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users