new torana shells

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#26 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

there is alot more rebodys out there other than 24c and there are alot of forum members with rebodyed cars that claim to be gold,,, the way i see new shells it give the people that want tuff street cars and race cars a new base to start with,, and if you cant pick a rebodyed car that someone is tryin to pass off as the real deal, you dont know what your looking at, but just to clarerfie i will be selling the spare parts but will have no part in selling the complete shells.

cheers gong

#27 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

i thought the point was it was a race car... if you look at a s model and an xu-1 under a microscope i think the steel will look the same... when it comes down to it you're talking about half a dozen pop rivvets an a few holes. gimme a rebody

#28 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

there is alot more rebodys out there other than 24c and there are alot of forum members with rebodyed cars that claim to be gold,,, the way i see new shells it give the people that want tuff street cars and race cars a new base to start with,, and if you cant pick a rebodyed car that someone is tryin to pass off as the real deal, you dont know what your looking at, but just to clarerfie i will be selling the spare parts but will have no part in selling the complete shells.

cheers gong

exactly gong i have come accross quite a few cars that i know are rebodied cars and there owners claim they are originals but as you know mate there will always be ways of telling so if you do your homework or even better still get a club to check the car out if your not sure if its a rebody so really i dont know what all the fuss is about

#29 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

i thought the point was it was a race car...

I agree. If that car, re-bodied or not, was sold by HDT after it was raced, then it is worth every penny. HDT got the car complete, then if it blew a diff, it got another, blew a motor, got another, rolled? got a new shell. That's racing.

Road cars are a different ball game.

#30 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

how 'bout some torana hatchback rebodies? haHaa

#31 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Only if you want a full fibreglass shell

#32 _PeteXU1_

_PeteXU1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

New body shells have been available in the US for years. I think it's a great idea and the few people out there that are against it need to lighten up! The greater population are more into driving and enjoying their muscle cars, rather than sitting their car in the garage as an appreciating asset. I would love to have an original, but for many, if it looks the same, sounds the same, and performs the same (well probably better if updating from original spec), you are going to enjoy it just the same. If you fork out 100k for an XU1 - the onnus is on you to ensure it is the real deal.

#33 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

It doesn't matter if it is or ins't the real thing read below. Not withstanding that most of this relates to stolen motor vehicles f which what we are discussing here is not about, but Section (2) (d) at the bottom if this thread is the one that should concern most.

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 154J
Possession of vehicle identification plate not attached to motor vehicle
154J Possession of vehicle identification plate not attached to motor vehicle

(2) For the purposes of this section, a "car or boat rebirthing activity" is an activity involving one or more of the following:

(d) the interference with a unique identifier, being a unique identifier that wholly or partly identifies a motor vehicle or vessel for registration under a law of any jurisdiction, for the purpose of disguising or misrepresenting the identity of a motor vehicle or vessel,

I would say that section (2) (d) above covers it!

It goes on about dishonesty, in particular the section you refer to states "Rebirthing" ... No body is talking about being dishonest or rebirthing unless I am missing something then none of this covers anything about body replacement parts.

#34 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

maybe not now
but what happens two or three owners down the track?
who's to say they will be as honest as us Posted Image

#35 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

The law???
Illegal activity sux, especially when it involves cars but we are talking about restoration work here and people seem to be hung up on value, well if a vehicle shows signs of restoration you will value it at what you are willing to pay for it, if someone advertises a car as unmolested, but it has been restored where do you draw the line? Repainted??? rebuilt motor??? replacement panels??? door trims??? bodies???
I can't see the police running around arresting people because you sell a car and something was replaced at some stage, you have to be realistic, things wear out and get repaced on 30 plus year old cars.

Maybe it will bring the prices down to a more realistic value. (flame suit on)

#36 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Those rebirthing laws are aimed at criminal activity ie: trying to pass off a vehicle (usually stolen) as something other than what it was originally built as.
Remember you are using a new body shell (white shell) which is a spare part and as such doesn't yet have an identity.
So you are not changing or inerferring with its identity only giving it one, just like when your car was originally built.

Replacement body shells are a LEGITIMATE way of repairing a wreck. It still happens today. GMH can and will supply current production body shells in a current production colour of your choice. Approx $6000.00 AUD for a VY shell back in 2003. The identity of the wreck is transferred to the new body and the rebuilt vehicle must be presented with all documentation ie: vehicle purchase receit, receipts for all spare parts, any repairers receipts etc to transport dept for rego.
Be aware that you may also incurr stamp duty on what the repaired vehicle is deemed to be worth to get it registered (Read that somewhere on the QLD Transport Dept website).
Back in the days of LC/LJ Torana's the shells came in primer only with no chassis No., doors, boot or bonnet.
Was up to the repairer to stamp chassis No. onto new shell.

The only concern I would have about these proposed Repro bodies is are they as good as the original or will you spend your 17 or 18K to find that like a lot of repro panels on the market that they aren't what they're cracked up to be.

To be perfectly honest I can't see that it will be economically viable to produce these LC/LJ bodies as the cost of tooling up alone for production would probably be somewhere around 4 to 5 mill and the Australia & New Zealand market is nowhere as big as the US market for the Mustang and Comaro bodies.

I suppose I'll believe it when I see it.

#37 _TJ308_

_TJ308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

Some info about the shells
HK HT HG Monaro and Torana LC LJ new body shells will be being made for resale late this year. Details as they become available. Watch this space
Price will be around $17 - $19K with doors and bootlid, made by Dynacorn/New Old Car Company

#38 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Some info about the shells
HK HT HG Monaro and Torana LC LJ new body shells will be being made for resale late this year. Details as they become available. Watch this space
Price will be around $17 - $19K with doors and bootlid, made by Dynacorn/New Old Car Company

Sounds good to me :spoton:
Is this the guy?
http://www.aussiemusclecartraders.com/parts.html

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-LJ-Torana-NEW-front-lhs-guard-suit-GTR-XU1-/330439607605?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cefbc4535

#39 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

yldlj i think a new body would be great as long as your not trying to pass it off as genuine im with 2600s i would rather have a replacement shell if they were available and im sure there would be ways of telling originals from replacement shells i think most of the people are only angry about new shells as they think people will be doing dodgy cars but hey there are some of us that are genuine and wouldnt do that so why should we miss out because there are dodgy people out there!! anyway they do it now with 2 door s shells so whats the difference????

yes im going to graft an lj front off a 4 door onto a 2 door ta and make replica xu1(i can hear the cringing whats that somebody said what a wanker) but the critical thing here is it will allways be a ta,it will allways be a replica. it will never be passed off as anything else.and if i can ever bring myself to sell it it will be advertised as such .a converted ta.but now these shells maybe coming would you go to that trouble,however for mine it is still a replica and nothing else.and the people that do these things and rip people deserve what they get.and i dont see why honest people who love these cars but cant afford the real deal should be made to feel guilty becuase they are doing what they need to do to realise their dreams.not everyone is a theif

#40 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

I can't wait to see one of these shells(bare)in the flesh.Theres nothing like original.Don't get me wrong this reproduction stuff is great but theses shells what is going to happen say in 10years down the track when a shell are purchased and it is sold a couple of times then who knows whats going to be added to it. :dontknow:Then is it going to be sold as an original? :dontknow:

#41 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Just like dozens of bodgy retag and rebirths now

Don't panic... it won't effect the pleasure you have driving your car

#42 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

yldlj i think a new body would be great as long as your not trying to pass it off as genuine im with 2600s i would rather have a replacement shell if they were available and im sure there would be ways of telling originals from replacement shells i think most of the people are only angry about new shells as they think people will be doing dodgy cars but hey there are some of us that are genuine and wouldnt do that so why should we miss out because there are dodgy people out there!! anyway they do it now with 2 door s shells so whats the difference????

yes im going to graft an lj front off a 4 door onto a 2 door ta and make replica xu1(i can hear the cringing whats that somebody said what a wanker) but the critical thing here is it will allways be a ta,it will allways be a replica. it will never be passed off as anything else.and if i can ever bring myself to sell it it will be advertised as such .a converted ta.but now these shells maybe coming would you go to that trouble,however for mine it is still a replica and nothing else.and the people that do these things and rip people deserve what they get.and i dont see why honest people who love these cars but cant afford the real deal should be made to feel guilty becuase they are doing what they need to do to realise their dreams.not everyone is a theif

I agree with everything you said.
However, im no security guru but I think some sort of measure should be made to identify these shells as reproduction, (better than id tags) while not all of us are thieves there are some dodgy bastards out there.

#43 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

maybe not now
but what happens two or three owners down the track?

Don't be fooled by some of those here who claim to be honest. I had a mate inadvertantly advertise slr tags and he was swamped by forum members wanting to buy them lol

This forum aint exactly all it seems, each to their own in my book, if it dont bother me I dont care what they do :)

Cheers
Herne

#44 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

Just like dozens of bodgy retag and rebirths now

Don't panic... it won't effect the pleasure you have driving your car

thats right it wont its just others that it effects for reasons best known to themselves.sad thing with these rebirthers theyd do a camry one day a hilux the next then an xy then a lexus and on and on it goes it doesnt matter to them

#45 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I have been told by a reliable source that the new shells won't be registerable in Victoria as for one they haven't been crash tested. If you buy a replacement shell from Holden it has been made down exactly the same assembly line as the original and will be exactly the same as the original. These replacement shells are being made in a completely different factory. They may look the same but are they built exactly the same - I think not! For a start the steel is thicker. Is it the same tensile strength? Will it crumple the same as the original did to meet ADR compliance? Are the welds/spot welds etc the same strength? In a crash will the repro shells fall to bits or hold rigid like a tank? Without testing no one will know. The repro guards I have seen are made to '72 specs, so are the shells also '72 spec? How do you go rebodying a '73 car that should have the extra ADR crumple zones? There are lots of worms in the can!!!
Having said that the guards I looked at were being fitted to a restoration and looked the goods. I didn't see any problem with the flutes. The infil panel at the A pillar fitted perfectly on the left hand guard, but didn't on the right for some reason. The original infil was substituted on this side. The guards needed some minor rework to get them to fold around under the sills, but it was no big deal. If I was in need of replacement guards I would be saving my bucks for the repros- repaired shitty originals will never be as good and would probably end up costing more.

Cheers,
JPXU1 :)

#46 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I agree with everything you said.
However, im no security guru but I think some sort of measure should be made to identify these shells as reproduction, (better than id tags) while not all of us are thieves there are some dodgy bastards out there.

yes for sure probably more than for the original shells

#47 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

I have been told by a reliable source that the new shells won't be registerable in Victoria as for one they haven't been crash tested. If you buy a replacement shell from Holden it has been made down exactly the same assembly line as the original and will be exactly the same as the original. These replacement shells are being made in a completely different factory. They may look the same but are they built exactly the same - I think not! For a start the steel is thicker. Is it the same tensile strength? Will it crumple the same as the original did to meet ADR compliance? Are the welds/spot welds etc the same strength? In a crash will the repro shells fall to bits or hold rigid like a tank? Without testing no one will know. The repro guards I have seen are made to '72 specs, so are the shells also '72 spec? How do you go rebodying a '73 car that should have the extra ADR crumple zones? There are lots of worms in the can!!!
Having said that the guards I looked at were being fitted to a restoration and looked the goods. I didn't see any problem with the flutes. The infil panel at the A pillar fitted perfectly on the left hand guard, but didn't on the right for some reason. The original infil was substituted on this side. The guards needed some minor rework to get them to fold around under the sills, but it was no big deal. If I was in need of replacement guards I would be saving my bucks for the repros- repaired shitty originals will never be as good and would probably end up costing more.

Cheers,
JPXU1 :)

If you use tags from a wreck it wont matter.
Im not saying its right but its a loop hole i guess.

#48 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

[quote name='jpxu1' date='10 June 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1276170220' post='514128']
I have been told by a reliable source that the new shells won't be registerable in Victoria.

[quote name='Bart' date='11 June 2010 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1276214449' post='514262']
[/quote]

Can't re-register Statutory write offs in Queensland, only Economic write offs.

Edited by S pack, 11 June 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#49 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

[quote name='S pack' date='11 June 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1276215287' post='514265']
[quote name='jpxu1' date='10 June 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1276170220' post='514128']
I have been told by a reliable source that the new shells won't be registerable in Victoria.

[quote name='Bart' date='11 June 2010 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1276214449' post='514262']
[/quote]

Can't re-register Statutory write offs in Queensland, only Economic write offs.
[/quote]
Statutory write off is accident write off? Economic write off is a car run out of rego??
Please explain

#50 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

Econ write-off is where the cost to repair is greater than th insured value.

So you tear the front off your LX and it really only needs a new nosecone but your $500 insurance policy won't cover it :D
So it goes to the auctions and sells for $3-400 and uss. a wrecker buys it and rebuilds or pulls it apart.......

Statutory write of is structural damage relegating the car to parts and patch panels (if you're lucky) :P
bend your roof and they can write you off this way for a Torana - it's structural - even only if someone dropped a chair from the second floor on you (depends who assesses it no matter what).

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users