How can i tell what type of diff i have? LX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

I recently found out my diff is on its way out. So im going to start sourcing a replacement.

How can i tell what type of diff it is? I have basically no diff knowledge at all.

I know it is an LSD. and believe it is a 3.08 ratio. It is a Holden diff as far as i know also. Would there be a name for this diff eg. banjo .etc....

When looking for a replacement diff how hard is it to find an LSD in this ratio?

So far, plan is to buy a second hand one from the wreckers as im very low on dosh, and just gotta get to work and back.

I would definately want a LSD, but im not super fussed on the ratio.

I like in the Wollongong area if anyone has a diff to sell, or knows a good place to get one.

Thanks

#2 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

if it's a stock Lh Lx odds are you'd have a banjo
the only other type that went into the torries is the salsbury which is identifiable by the backing plate being bolted from the rear
the LSD centres for either of these models are expensive
where as the open wheeler are as cheap as chips
hope this helps tom

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

The 3.08:1 ratio would be the easiest one to find. Finding an LSD centre that actually worked is the tricky bit.

#4 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

So far the only diff i have been able to locate at a wreckers is a standard diff (not sure on ratio).
They want $170 for centre only, or $225 for the whole diff.

What other holden models have a diff centre that would fit my diff?
If you have a LSD diff, does the new centre have to be a LSD centre? or can u put a standard centre in a LSD diff?

Also, would a kingswood centre fit my diff? (and connect to my tailshaft?)

1 more thing, would mine be a fine spline?

Thanks

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

LX should have fine spline axles. This doesn't mean somebody hasn't put a coarse spline diff in, as happend to one forum member here. Yes, a Kingswood banjo diff will fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users