painting floor pan black ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Degreaser, scraper then wire wheel. Overalls, safety goggles, dust mask - great fun.

You can do mine when you've finished if you like.

I'll even supply the Band Aids.

#27 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

your a gentleman and a scholar mark lol

#28 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Sadly its mostly elbow grease and lots of hours; I've never been much good at it either!

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Some old stale petrol is fantastic for getting all the original GMH stuff off, with a scotch brite (or 10!!) and a paint scraper...Make sure you wear a Sundstrom style mask, petrol fumes are not the best after a while.....

Cheers.

#30 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

I did mine with a wire wheel on a high speed hand drill and the hard to reach bits with a wire brush.

It was actually way easier than I expected.  Definitely get some disposable coveralls, good mask, goggles etc...

Messy shit.

#31 TUF 308

TUF 308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Acetone!

#32 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I painted the under side and the inside of my car with black kill rust using a brush.Inside's covered with carpet and the under side will only be seen on a hoist but each to their own

#33 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Petrol is the only way to go, scraper and scotch brite.

As said earlier most will scrape off in brittle flakes the rest needs to be soaked in petrol, I used a spray bottle but make sure theres no electricity around ie power tools and whatever you do don't smoke. :)

Just finished mine and it took about 2 weekends to get it scraped, sanded and epoxied

20130721_173443.jpg

20130721_173400.jpg

20130817_150159.jpg

Hope this gives you  (hope) :)

#34 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Kero works well but you have to scrub.

#35 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Slar, so purdy.

#36 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Haha yeh it looks to good to cover up with stone guard, nice stuff that epotech 408 epoxy, at least shes pretty water and corrosion resistant now, just need to seam seal it and bobs your uncle.

Certainly worth the effort.

cheers

#37 _Yella-5000_

_Yella-5000_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

sh*t thats just what mine looks like until tomorrow,,, and whats with the left rail on these things ?? mine was the very same too i guess everyone used it to jack the car up at some point, but why not the right side :dontknow:

Rails all seem to get bashed in like that, both left and right sides.  Can be fixed by cutting a section of floor pan out from above (he worked out after he painted the whole thing), and knocking the rails back out with a hammer and block of steel.

Cleaning underneath?  There is no easy method.  I used  a scraper, then wire brush, some thinners, and finally some wax and grease remover, prior to going all over with 60, 120, 400 grit wet and dry.  Took forever, but yeah, I like the result.  Whatever you do, it's gonna be better than from factory.

For this particular car, I want to see anything that is leaking, dripping, or splashing up under the car, so white was best.  Don't know what I'd do it on a road car.  If it was Yella, I'd go GMH Black, as it has the black sills and engine bay being an LH.  Dunno about other models.  Is there any other model Torana?

Edited by Yella-5000, 19 August 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#38 _ohhgeee_

_ohhgeee_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

i tried some supercheap paint stripper yesterday it works pretty well but is a b**ch to work with since the entire time its trying to kill you in one way or another.
also tried one of those rapid disc thingys and that got through it pretty well but doesnt get into tighter spots.

i can rent a 9bar steam cleaner from alexandria nsw $160 was thinking of giving that a go next...

might have to buy a rotisserie....anybody in nsw wanna sell me one for a reasonable price?

#39 _Yella-5000_

_Yella-5000_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

^ Whooley Dooley.  Your going to a lot of trouble.  You just need to clean and key what finish is under there so the paint will stick, no need to go back to bare metal.

Those paint stripping disks are good, but I didn't use one of those on the underside.

#40 _ohhgeee_

_ohhgeee_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

thanks for the reality check Yella
maybe i am going abit overboard and in too deep.
i just want a neat look thats all

#41 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

If you are buying paint and penal consumables then steer clear of SC and head over to http://www.vgautopaints.com.au/

PS they also hold a free one day crash course that you can book into thru the web site.

#42 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

TerrA do you work for VG auto paints?

#43 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Haha, no.

#44 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

i tried some supercheap paint stripper yesterday it works pretty well but is a b**ch to work with since the entire time its trying to kill you in one way or another.
also tried one of those rapid disc thingys and that got through it pretty well but doesnt get into tighter spots.

i can rent a 9bar steam cleaner from alexandria nsw $160 was thinking of giving that a go next...

might have to buy a rotisserie....anybody in nsw wanna sell me one for a reasonable price?

Yeh you don't need to strip it completely just key it up after you remove the original sound deadenener.

Like I said after many attempts at various things, petrol in a spray bottle worked way better then anything else. You just need a heap of old rags as well.

Also like said steer clear of Sc stuff go to a pro paint store for the real deal, I use OVESCO they are my local PPG supplier and can get any product you need. I also use AUTOLAC at Cardiff Newcastle for stuff like POR15 and paint consumables.

As for the rotisserie, the one in my pictures above I made in one weekend and only cost $240.00 for brand new steel, got the wheels for free but was cheap and easy to do.

Will save your back that's for sure.

Anyways good luck with it.

#45 _likatiger_

_likatiger_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I had mine sand blasted, am sending it off to a mates workshop this weekend to get the welding done then will be priming the whole car, gmh black on the underbody then putting stoneguard over that.

#46 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Can i recommend doing it the other way around, ie Primer-stoneguard-gmh black.......Or if you want the stone guard finish then skip the gmh black...

#47 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Bomber nailed it :)

#48 _likatiger_

_likatiger_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Cheers, will do it that way

#49 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Anyone tried the Upol Raptor? It's a two Pack product normally used in the trays of utes. Was talking to the local paint guy and he said it was tough as nails and ideal for painting the underneath. Far superior to the water based type stone guards he thought. The finish is like a coarse sandpaper and comes in black or can be tinted to any colour. Wasn't that cheap, would cost around $200 to do the whole underside.

#50 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't know about stoneguard but I found that if you paint over sound deadener it loses its flexibility and is prone to crack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users