What became of the donor car?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

What happens to the donor car you buy for that engine conversion or spare parts for your project? Usually they are parted out & scrapped, sometimes they are sold complete, how often are they passed on to someone else to become a project themselves & given a new lease on life? This is the donor car i bought for my Orchid LH, a 1989 VN Calais 5.0ltr.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
As far as VNs go, this one was in exceptional condition, near mint body with no previous accidents, leather interior & genuine 148,000kms. I'm not a Commodore fan, but it seemed a shame to part out or scrap such a good car once i'd taken the motor/trans out of it, so i ended up giving the complete roller to a good mate of mine who has a liking of this model. He owns & has built a very tough VN SS with a 650+rwhp Vortech blown 355, TKO 6spd & 9" so i figured he would appreciate & do something with my old Calais. What started out as a quick repaint & another 5.0ltr TH700 to be fitted has turned into a new project build by itself. The plan now is a colour change to the G series Ford colour Breeze, smoothed engine bay with concealed wiring, full genuine VN HDT Aero body kit, custom retrim, 355 with Harrop single plane & 1000cfm throttle body. I've been spending a few hours most every weekend handling body & paint on what was my old car & i thought i might share some of my progress so far. My mate has been taking photos of the build at every stage, but i only took these photos last week. I know it's only a VN but i can appreciate any good quality build no matter what creed, so let me know what you think. Here's the engine bay completed in colour waiting for the x-member etc to be put back in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

This one was stripped to a bare shell, cut in three and dropped off at the metal recyclers (no I didn't stack it)
Posted Image

This one was stripped of its running gear, wiring loom and instruments, then sold to someone with a crashed one who transferred all the bits over and is recently back on the road
Posted Image

The leftovers of this one (including V8 running gear) sold to someone who claimed to want it for a project but turned out to be a bit of a scammer, no doubt anything of value was onsold at hyper-inflated prices and the remainder scrapped :cry:
Posted Image

#3 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

this rust bucket is my donor car,ive sold it already (body only) the guy who's brought it is going to make it into an UP U 2 so he calls it,got me how he is going to do it but thats his lookoutAttached File  donor car.jpg   925.25K   52 downloads

#4 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

the engine bay has come up nice Matt, did you paint it out ?? it should be a nice when its finished .

#5 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

I dont have any before shots but this series 2 5L VQ Statesman was my donor, picked it up for 2k drive away, Resale could have been 5-6k at the time but i had better plans for it......

Posted Image

Incase anyone is wondering about the rear quater panel, Boredom got the better of me and i spotted the axe in the corner of the shed :gun:

Posted Image

I reckon it the one just above the wheel :D

Posted Image

Cheers

#6 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

That VQ ended its days the same as my VN Berlina wagon, nothing realy wrong with the car i just wanted the motor rest got crushed at the wreckers next door.

#7 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

What happens to the donor car you buy for that engine conversion or spare parts for your project? Usually they are parted out & scrapped, sometimes they are sold complete, how often are they passed on to someone else to become a project themselves & given a new lease on life? This is the donor car i bought for my Orchid LH, a 1989 VN Calais 5.0ltr.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
As far as VNs go, this one was in exceptional condition, near mint body with no previous accidents, leather interior & genuine 148,000kms. I'm not a Commodore fan, but it seemed a shame to part out or scrap such a good car once i'd taken the motor/trans out of it, so i ended up giving the complete roller to a good mate of mine who has a liking of this model. He owns & has built a very tough VN SS with a 650+rwhp Vortech blown 355, TKO 6spd & 9" so i figured he would appreciate & do something with my old Calais. What started out as a quick repaint & another 5.0ltr TH700 to be fitted has turned into a new project build by itself. The plan now is a colour change to the G series Ford colour Breeze, smoothed engine bay with concealed wiring, full genuine VN HDT Aero body kit, custom retrim, 355 with Harrop single plane & 1000cfm throttle body. I've been spending a few hours most every weekend handling body & paint on what was my old car & i thought i might share some of my progress so far. My mate has been taking photos of the build at every stage, but i only took these photos last week. I know it's only a VN but i can appreciate any good quality build no matter what creed, so let me know what you think. Here's the engine bay completed in colour waiting for the x-member etc to be put back in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i have a feeling me and this car will meet soon ;)

matt,if ya wanna do some panel and paint work let me know,micks going to do an engine conversion for me soon and the car will be up there

#8 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yeah Mick mentioned he was getting you to work your magic on this car, he also mentioned he was doing some work on your car. I'll be happy to help in any way i can with panel/paint as i haven't forgotten the help you gave me with my Orchid LH. Will talk soon. Cheers Matt

#9 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

Roll over LJ - Crushed
Posted Image

LC Rust bucket - Looked good when I bought it for a daily. Started to strip it to paint it and it pretty much fell appart. So then became a donor car
Posted Image

VS SS - Motor Donor - Crushed
Posted Image

Skyline R33 RB25DET Manual - Current Donor - Will be crushed
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users