#1 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

G'day all

I have a 308 built and ready to go into the UC, and so calling around engineers to try and find out what I need done. However I am getting wildly varying opinions and some of them seem unnessesary. Things like uprated brakes (LX had a 308 with those breaks why not on the UC?). Also the question of polution gear has raised it head, I was assuming that with all the gear there it would be alright but they're talking changing to a standard cam etc.

Anyway has anyone done it in Victoria and recomend a engineer, and what did they need done?

Also I was wondering peoples opinions (no bias because they don't like UCs please) if I should just put it in the LX I have at home and leave the UC stock (I don't really want to do that) Just because of problems occured of getting it regoed.

Please don't flame me like I should upgrade brakes for safety, it's in the plan but I can't afford it at the moment.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:39 PM

In theory, if you use a stock ADR27A compliant motor, it should pass. I'm with you on the brakes.

#3 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

From questions i raised in QLD regarding this conversion (and is now why i am NOT running a V8), you really only need to pass emissons tests. If the motor is out of a LX/LH with disc's on the rear, you need discs. If it had drums - you are safe. There's some other mumbo jumbo in there too about springs/shocks, but all V8/6cyl/4cyl toranas use same springs... I have effectively got V8 springs in my UC...

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 21 April 2006 - 08:00 PM.

#4 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

It does seem I will need to change back to standard cam for the engineering process my cam will not sound standard at idle.

100 posts for me

#5 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

peteruc
as far as i know the emission controls off a vb commie should be all that is required for the emmision crap
pits will be funny about hot cams ect as the increase emissions :furious:
so my opinion is that if you put the motor back to stock VB-VC commie specs :ZZZ: and upgrade the front springs they thouldn't have anything to bitch about :spoton:
my 2c tom

#6 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

How bout....

Register the UC with the old Red.......swap the engines once regoed ?

Hello officer......what do you mean its a V8 ?

#7 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:06 PM

...what do you mean my insurance is void... :).

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:32 PM

what do you mean a defect notice?

what do you mean sodomised with a nightstick?

#9 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

no officer that blower wasn't there last time i looked :burnout:

#10 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

LPG will fix emmision problems or buy a nice looking torana like a lh or x to put your engine in :D .

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

Lakeside is on the money; LPG will fix any emissions problems regardless of whether you have an aftermarket cam. The problem is that even a 308 on gas isn't that cheap to run.

If you want to have one ultra cheap daily driver and one quick weekender, i'd put the UC on gas (as a six) when you can afford it, and stick the 308 in the LX. It will take some more time because I know that car needs work, but when you are finished with it, you won't have any dramas getting it strait on the road.

It would be nice to see some more V8 UCs, but in my opinion it may not be your best option.

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

Not quite Colin and Heath. If an ADR27A compliant vehicle is converterd to LPG ONLY and the petrol tank is removed, MOST of the anti-pollution crap can be removed. The EGR ( if factory fitted, not all vehicles have them ) must be retained and operational. If the car is ADR37 complaint, NO anti-pollution crap can be removed.

#13 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

what do you mean a defect notice?

what do you mean sodomised with a nightstick?

Posted ImageCrackup :spoton:

#14 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

Peter, I can't help with the engineers cert but maybe you need to explain to these engineers the similarities between the LX & UC, now i understand you would rather put the 308 in the UC but just a thought maybe putting it in the LX would be a whole lot easier also swap the RTS cross member over into the LX. By the way what cam did you put in the 308? Is the idle that noticable that the cam is big would they know? lets face it they don't seem to know much about the LX Vs UC

Cheers
Steve

#15 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Cam is 494 lift and 224 at 050 duration, so it is a resonable sized cam but nothing wild. Had a brain wave last night and what about the VK Group A, they definatly had a hotter camshaft and in AMC stated they had a lift of .3069" at the cam or approx .500" lift which seems similar to my car and they were emissions compliant so can I say its a VK Group A camshaft?

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

You would need to successfully demonstrate that the motor is built to VK group A specs. You may need to then comply with ADR27C. I personally would make sure there was a stock ADR27A compliant engine before proceeding any further.

#17 _dannylxss_

_dannylxss_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

the engineer i use is bill malkoutzis at talk torque 0410 439 315 automotive he is helpful he charges $135 per hour tell him what you want to do and hill give you a price he is in eltham vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users