first timer ( prep and paint )

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

considering whether or not i give prepping and painting my lh torana a go and see how i do... I am trying to learn and do as much as i can...?? what are your opinions, is it better left to the pros.. is 2k or metallic better if you do paint it yourself...??? where to start prep and where to finish ..?? etc cheers Ben

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

IMO Save your health and your money - forget about 2k, buy a book on repairing and refinishing, book in for the Saturday crash course at VG Autopaints and spray a solid colour like white, yellow or blue.

#3 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:29 AM

Ive jumped in and had a crack at painting myself without researching....big mistake, talk about wasted time, effort and cash. However im glad i did as next time i reckon i can get a good finish from what i have learnt. I reckon you should give it a crack if you have the patience. I would recommend using acrylic and trying to perfect it on 1 panel first, like a spare bonnet or door.

If you are going for a show looking ride i would suggest going to a pro. Pros will not guarantee quality on anything you have prepped and repaired yourself. As suggested do the free workshop at VG and spray solid colours to start. I havent tried Metallics but i believe they can be difficult for first timers.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:45 AM

Yeah trying a spare panel is the best advice anyone could give, I will throw you a guard if you need one.

#5 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

Yeah trying a spare panel is the best advice anyone could give, I will throw you a guard if you need one.

I wish i was given that advice before i started

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:22 AM

I wish i was given that advice before i started

Well we all (most) learn from our mistakes, you only had to ask.

#7 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:55 AM

I say go for it. Don't go straight to 2pac though. Like the guys said, go with acrylic. It's basically foolproof, so even I can use it : )

Solid colours are by far the easiest to paint compared to metallics, so I'd recommend that for the first go. Just make sure you mix the paint right. It'll seem like too much thinners, but that's how acrylic works : )

Make sure you get enough build on there so it can be blocked down and buffed afterwards and it will look like glass in the end.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Don't start with your car to begin with, and practice, practice, practice till you feel you know what you are doing. Even then, you'll keep learning additional stuff on how to get the finish even better.

#9 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

ok cheers fellas sounds like i get my self a practise panel and have a go and see how it turns out.

TerrA LX - how much to grab a gaurd off you mate...???

Cheers Ben

Edited by TUFF75LH355, 05 June 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#10 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

if any one has the time or patients could some1 post a step by step process from start to finish .... like where to start what to paint first etc etc when doing a complete respray if not anyone know where i may find this info... searched the net but havent been able to find anything...

is it harder to get a good finish with acrylic over 2k..????

and is it hard to buff polish acylic to look good..??

cheers ben

#11 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Are you planning on taking the car back to bare metal or just spraying the car as it is now?

#12 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

baremetal mate

#13 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Don't start making plans or worrying about where to start till you have a handle on what you are doing then it will come to you.
As above, please please please, forget about 2k.
The guard is a gift to you to get you started.

#14 _TUFF75LH355_

_TUFF75LH355_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Don't start making plans or worrying about where to start till you have a handle on what you are doing then it will come to you.
As above, please please please, forget about 2k.
The guard is a gift to you to get you started.

yer mate understand. Will forget 2k lol . I was originally going silver or white so looks like ill go white acrylic mate. i appreciate the help TerrA LX and appreciate your williingness to help by giving my a gaurd to practise on mate. When would i possibly be able to pick the gaurd up from you cheers ben

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Pm me your details if you want and I will pop around for a look sometime when Im free.

#16 _hatch76_

_hatch76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

bommer watson posted a thread ages ago on body work start to finish and how to set up a spray gun. I followed that and the results were awsome. Also if you type in DIY mig welding, and click on the first thread that comes up, there are good paint tips in there.
IMO have a go, the worst you can do is stuff it up and then you have to pay someone any way.

Cheers Dan

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

Yeah there are plenty of good stickies in the main panel page.

#18 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

if any one has the time or patients could some1 post a step by step process from start to finish .... like where to start what to paint first etc etc when doing a complete respray if not anyone know where i may find this info... searched the net but havent been able to find anything...

is it harder to get a good finish with acrylic over 2k..????

and is it hard to buff polish acylic to look good..??

cheers ben

go acyrlic less hazardous to your health if you stuff it up you can just rub it back and start again
it's very forgiving
white is the best color to spray as well as it dosent show up the blemishes as much as a darker color
good luck with it and post pics too we love pics round here

#19 _yldlj_

_yldlj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

you cant go wrong with white even if it sinks back you will be sweet. personally i would spray 2k it covers a whole lot better but you will need practice first. the hardest thing you will find is spraying the clear. if you want a good finish you should get a good 2k c.o.b. also i would be using a 2k hi fill it's easy to aplly and alot easier to rub down

Edited by yldlj, 07 June 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#20 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

2k? first timer?
didn't know those two words went together?
yes 2k will give you a good result off the gun but if you haven't sprayed before i'd give it a miss
or pay someone to do it for you

#21 _yldlj_

_yldlj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

if i wasn't in the trade i would rather pay someone than not have a nice finish.

the 1st time i sprayed 2k clear it wasn't that hard to do. all you have to do is take care and adjust your gun to make sure you don't make a mess. also use a fast hardener.

Edited by yldlj, 08 June 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#22 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

How can someone who's in the trade say acrylic can't give a nice finish? Sure it's not shiny straight off the gun but to say it can't be a good finish after a cut and polish is just crap. It's much easier to do than 2 pac, it's cheaper and it's not illegal to paint with at home. Don't get me wrong, 2pac is far superior in many ways, but for someone wanting to have a go acrylic just can't be beaten.

This is acrylic solid red and white with no clear, all done in a dirty garage at home. Looks OK to me.

Posted Image

#23 _bradman_

_bradman_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Very nice Tim

#24 _yldlj_

_yldlj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

it's just my opinion.why sit there cutting it back forever to get a good finish when you could just clear it? it really isn't hard to do. by all means anyone wanting to have a go thats great. i just don't get why people are so against trying to use 2k.

#25 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Hey Clinton. I understand what you're saying, but you sound like you're probably a very good painter, so things that are easy for you will be hard for someone like me or someone having their first go. That's the main reason I was pushing the acrylic thing.

Secondly, 2 pac needs a really clean environment, and I'm just too lazy to clean things that well : )

I wish I was better at using 2 pac, but my main focus is fabrication, so I never really get into it too often.

Maybe you should post a bit of a thread on gun choices, nozzle sizes, gun set up and paint mixing/thinning for 2pac? I'm sure there's crap loads of us here that would like to read that.

Please : )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users