fan question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _MR_LJ_

_MR_LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

hey all i have a LJ with a worked 202 red engine, but its missing the standard fan just wondering how the fan bolts up , does it just bolt up to the pulley or is there a spacer between the pulley n fan like the LX etc, and what is the standard height of the fan cause im thinking of fitting a 6 blade flexi fan from americanautos but they need to know the size of course just wondering how big i can go
cheers any help would be great ;)
jamie

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

If you have astock Red 6 water pump ( Blue motor pumps are different ) and don't have air cond, it bolts straight on. If you were going to the expense of buying a new fan, spend a bit more and get a thermo fan. You may find a second hand thermo fan cheaper than your new mechanical fan.

#3 _MR_LJ_

_MR_LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

Do you know the standard height of a standard red engine fan , i just bought a auusie desert cooler tripple flow radiator and dont want to put any holes through it fitting thermos thats why i have decided to run a 6 blade flexi fan

#4 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

mrlj i'm running a tripple row radiator in my Lc
i ended up fitting twin thermo's to the front of the radiator as i couldn't get clearance to run any mechanical one
cheers tom

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

If you mount the thermo fan on a frame and if you put it outside your radiater then you do not have to put any holes through your radiator.

Herne

#6 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

Go with the Thermo, Engine Fans can be dangerous, Dont like them.

Les

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

Posted Image
Pictured is a standard Holden 7blade thermatic viscous clutch fan. 45cm diameter.(actually removed it from the car today, only have it on in summer)
I believe its the same diameter as the 4 bladed fixed fan. It will bolt straight on and will clear all the stuff on a red motor.
The clutch fan is 7.4cm deep, you need >7.4cm between pulley and radiator core. The clutch is the foremost part and the blades sit about 1.5cm back, so you can have a slight overhang with your toptank.
Dont know how close it gets in an LJ, is your triple flow, triple core?
You cant really go any larger than this on a LX,UC or the bonnet wouldnt close!
Suggest that the clutch fan may be a cheaper and more friendly option than the flexfan.
See if you can pick one up from a wrecker, I would pay $30-$40max, with some sort of warranty on the clutch. Its impossible to tell if the clutch is any good until its spun fast on a car, particularly if the clutch has been stored horizontally. If the fan roars up when it is first started, chances are its good. There are other checks beyond that to check its working perfectly.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 22 April 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#8 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

mrlj i'm running a tripple row radiator in my Lc
i ended up fitting twin thermo's to the front of the radiator as i couldn't get clearance to run any mechanical one
cheers tom

Got any pics of your setup to share?

#9 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

i can take some pics if someone wants to send me an email that i can send them to.
(thats about the limit of my computer skills :D )

cheers tom

ps the radiator is a moded v8 statesman one

Edited by munro, 24 April 2006 - 03:06 AM.

#10 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

email pics to [email protected] and ill do the rest my friend...

Keith

#11 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:18 PM

keith pics sent
thanx tom

#12 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Here is the pic....

Posted Image

I only received one pic from you (in case you sent more)...
Keith

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 24 April 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#13 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

yep i sent more pics (i hate computers) but that pic shows the general idea
with the motor fitted there's about an inch clearance to the balancer so i had to set it up that way
i never have heating problems :rockon:

cheers tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users